Brainstorm on how to raise the Open Cup's profile

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by Pyro, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't this an old and re-hashed question....

Why isn't this thing sponsored?

Right now the winning side gets 100K right.

If only U.S. Soccer could find one sponsor to chip in a solid amount of cash (500K and up)..........(cue realistic dream sequence)

Sponsor would get:
    Tournament Naming Rights (Mastercard U.S. Open Cup)
    Signage at each cup game
    TV Spots on FSW during televised matches.

Open Cup Participants:
    Boost in winning reward
    Defrayment of travel costs
    Advertising aid

US Soccer gets:
    Additional promotion/operational dollars

Problems:
    Is Lamar Hunt sponsoring this thing (directly) at some level or is his name just on the cup/tourney?
    (No reason the trophy has to be re-named)

Finding a sponsor..

2. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a sponsor to pony up any cash, it would have to perceive some sort of media value for the sponsorship. $500K for exposure on 3 FSW matches just doesn't make financial sense.

If the USSF wanted to turn the OC into a big-time media property, it would need to (gasp) promote the tournament in print, online, on TV, radio, outdoor, etc. to give the sponsor some value for its investment.

As for Lamar Hunt, the USSF honored the longtime soccer builder by naming the OC after him. He doesn't contribute directly for the honor. He's done enough to date as it is.

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    With only 2 games of the tournament on FSW this year...... doesn't look good for adding a title sponsor :(

But the Budweiser/Mastercard/Phillips US Open Cup does sound good to me :)

4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Just get the damn thing on TV regularly.... I never know when the games are, and have no way of viewing them..

Until this is fixed, the whole tournament is an unfortuante waste..

5. UnitedNut

UnitedNut Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Towson, MD USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. Its been around for a long time and has survived without any major coverage or sponsorships.

I do agree that it needs more focus and comittment from USS, starting with keeping the website up to date with information (the semi final results are not posted for example).

For the next cup:

1. An article in Sports Illustrated or ESPN-The Magazine talking about the cup and its history. The article should be published after all the teams have been determined. (Go with a mainstream magazine instead of something soccer specific, like Soccer America.)

2. A monthly tracking published in USAToday and Sports Illustrated covering the results and the schedule.

3. Only the semi's and the finals should be broadcasted. A number of the quarters take place in small stadiums or in markets which would not be big TV draws.

4. For the final game, do the same thing that our friends across the pond did last year for the FA Cup: about an hour before the broadcast there was a great special that broke down the cup from the first game through the semi's.

Definitely should get a sponsor the cup who would help pay for the cost of the monthly advertising of the tourney results.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    need title sponsor
    need more games on FSW
    need written articles in national sports magazines
    need pregame show before Cup final breaking down the tournament
    need increased media awareness
    need more prize $
    need more sponsors
    need more american soccer fans
    need better hardware/Cup

7. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definetly USSF should do a better job with giving this Open Cup more exposure. For now they are used to it as is,why fix it. But the fact is the fans deman it and the competition has evolved including professional teams now. Letter and calls should be made to USSF and its president to give this competition the time and resources that it need to be a premier event each year in this country.

We the fans have asked to see changes in MLSand got them, and we will get our way if enough of us will demand it.

Ask and you shall receive. !!!!

The Toyota Cup is a single game played between the S.American and European champion.
    US Open Cup could be easily renamed if a sponsor was found (seek one and u will). MLS/ USSF/ USL should coordinate in advance dates for midweek games for this event and keep that date open for the Open Cup up to the final.

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Sadly, your post makes too much sense.... :(

9. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    That oughta do it...

10. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    It used to be called the challenge cup before it was renamed the open cup incidently. At least until the early 1980's.

This tournament was always a losing proposition for the club lucky and good enough to win it.

I don't think a team ever won it who didn't pay their players, and their coach.

11. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Host Final @ US Soccer Hall of Fame

Jeff makes a lot of sense, this brings attention to the history of US soccer as well as making the game more of a focal point for all US club soccer.

The winning club has its name engraved on the Dewar Cup. It is retired at the Hall but it is an old and pretty cool peice of hardware (see below). It may be cool if it was like the Stanley Cup where all the player names are engraved.

[​IMG]

12. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a losing proposition

Do you mean that you need to spend the bucks to win the cup and there is not $ gain or does this have to do with unfortunate scheduling?

13. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    just to throw bait in the water....

You could always give the MLS Cup to the regular season champion and make the U.S. Open Cup the playoffs so to speak. Take the top 5 regular season MLS teams, the top 3 finishers from an elimination tournament from the lower leagues (A-League/D3 Pro). Have the MLS #1 play Lower Div #3, MLS #2 play Lower Div #2, Etc.. home and away Euro style with a single game champioship at the end.

14. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Re: a losing proposition

Winning the cup would cost the club well over 100 thousand. But any club that wins it will call it money well spent.

It's not over after you win the cup. You play against other countries I wonder how many past winners didn't drop out after winning the cup due to lack of money?

15. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The First XI : A Day Late, and a Dollar Short by Jeff Bradley, ESPN The Magazine
    http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/firstXI1008.html
    I once again appeal to the USSF to make the Open Cup final an annual event at the US Soccer Hall of Fame in Oneonta, N.Y., and tie it in with the annual inductions weekend.

i need to ask, is there like a 20 k SSS out there , where does he propose they play this on, he wants to make it into a big celebration and major event , then it needs at least a decent size stadium to play in. I never been to Oneonta, maybe someone can elaborate on this.
    His idea is not a bad one, but sounds to me his car has no engine.

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Oneonta is a college town.... parties won;t be a problem... dunno what stadiums they h ave up there...

17. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oneonta

There are some universities that can be used; however I believe there is a SSS at the US Soccer Hall of Fame complex (I know there are four fields). I believe that there was a USWNT game held in conjuction with the re-opening in 1999 (it must have been played some where :))

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    hmmm very interesting.... didn;t see anything mentioned at the USHOF site..... has anyone on the boards been there and can give us info on this?

19. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sent an e-mail to the hall to ask if they have a stadium. After I wrote the reply I did check the web and find that they want a stadium and other stuff by 2006 http://www.ussoccerhalloffame.com/news.wusaallstr.htm

The article says, "The 2002 WUSA Hall of Fame Game at the National Soccer Hall of Fame on October 14 between the Boston Breakers and the Philadelphia Charge will feature 10 players from the inaugural WUSA All-Star Game." They charged admission so there must be some sort of a stadium or they lined up around the fields like when I was in college and kids would sneak through the woods to see the games.

20. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't this done already?

I think Bradley's idea is nice, but totally impractical. If we think the attendance/profile of the tournament is low now, just hold it in upstate NY!

21. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    attendence low now ... upstate NY

Yeah, but is that a function of the fact that not all of the teams seem to focus on it. At the USOC United hosted there were good representation by the River Hounds and Mariners supporters. What if the tournament was based on the prior year results and was earlier in the season? Like the Daytona 500 which is at the start of the racing season.

22. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    I just wish they would forget all this crap about teams qualifing for the cup in strange half league game half Open Cup games.

Just put in all MLS, A-League, PSL, PDL, and maybe 8 USASA teams.

Maybe one qualifing round to get the number of teams down to 64 and put out the bracket NCAA style.

This would make it alot more fun and alot easier to understand for everyone; fans, press, everyone.

23. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is the NCAA style, ?

and to answer to PYRO , No its not done that way, unfortunately.

I would like to see the Open Cup play Open Cup games and not use league games as is done in the lower divisions.
    Once teams get to 32 teams i like to see home/away series based on agreggate score.
    I would like to see early rounds start in the fall and continue in the spring by including A leafue, MLS teams. Dates for Open Cup to be set by the end of jan, all games of the round to be played on the same day, the first Wednesday of each month.

It would be nice if we had our national Stadium where the nats play, and important matches are played on, as would be the Open Cup. I know it will never happen.
    Also would be nice if MLS went single table no playoffs, and the real "playoffs" would be home/away Open Cup games and home/away Concacaf club Competitions for our best teams.

24. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't forget the part about a member of the royal family being present at every cup final...

25. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    As I was saying...

It would be much simpler if the USSF would lay out a knock out bracket, without byes, that is pre set.

The F.A. holds a new draw after each round. This is not a good way for us to work our open cup. A one time draw, then we can print the bracket in all the newspapers, cut them out, and start a pool. Just like the NCAA.