Bradley: Staying American

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by purojogo, Aug 23, 2006.

1. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Alright, we're obviously reading the article differently. That quote speaks for itself. I agree he thinks Nowak or Nicol would be better than Klinnsman but to me is obviously placing some importance on whether or not you were "American-born" or he wouldn't have made the distinction.

Can you not at least admit that if someone's brother is up for a position like this, maybe they shouldn't be writing an article from this angle because the conflict of interest would be readily apparent? It's natural for people to question his motivation when he places himself in the middle of the debate with a stance that says "no foreigners".

2. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Clifton, NJ
    I will admit that Bradley is in a tough position when he writes about soccer because people are always going to think he is slanting things towards his brother. This is not the first time I have seen it.

Maybe he should just avoid writing about soccer and stick to baseball for ESPN instead.

I guess some of us old Metrofans really like him because he was like us and he was on the staff when the team started. He loved the game and tried to help it grow, then he branched out and tries to support the game. Meanwhile, he gets ripped on for slanting things towards his brother.

See where I am coming from? Just read the article and comment on the content not on the probable intent of the writer. You could do that to every reporter and it is just a waste of time. What if a writer is protecting a source and he will not comment on a player who is not performing? See what I mean? Just let it go.

3. unitedusa

unitedusa New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Piscataway, NJ
    The article’s content is as disturbing as the probable intent. Jeff talks about the new coach needing to understand “American” soccer. Why? What is the difference between American soccer and the world game? Maybe we should look for something new. A coach that has been successful in the past. A coach that selects the best “team” not the most talented players. A team that understands playing for the national team is a privilege and not the vehicle to a high playing job in Europe. That every cap would be earned by your current form and not past history or pedigree. Wouldn’t that be a change?

4. Klecko

Klecko New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    NYC
    Spot on. Instead of capping each and every current or former DCU player, maybe Sunil can find a coach that finds the best team. Maybe there will be fewer "legacy" players in the team that haven't truly earned their spots. Maybe there will be a coach that can prepare for more contingencies than Arena. Maybe there will be an adult as head coach instead of the petulant crybaby who blames everyone but himself for failures.

"Staying American" merely for the sake of jingoism? As dumb as dumb can be, IMO. Find the best possible manager, regardless of nationality, and the program will benefit immensely.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not really.

As for your first couple of rhetorical questions, you COULD read the thread and discuss what people have mentioned before. Radical idea, I know. :rolleyes:

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  7. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    L-O-freakin'-L. Repped.

8. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    The next national team coach is the single most important issue in US Soccer right now, and Jeff Bradley, who frequently writes about the National Team, is right to address the issue. His family attachments obviously lead people to read into his writing, but the main point, that the next coach needs to really understand US Soccer and MLS before taking the job, is IMO correct. If he hadn't chosen the "American" construction early in the article, it would have become obvious that Novak, Nicol, and Yallop, and arguably Klinnsmann as well, all qualify as reasonably "American" candidates, alongside Bradley, Sarachan, etc.

9. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=378555&root=us&cc=5901

pekerman anyone???

he's had 3 months to get a crash course in english....

interesting point about nurturing adu too...

still can the usa play an argentine style, or is the argentine game the direction usa should go...

the choice of coach shapes your playing philosophy and ot'd be an interesting experiement, where proof will be found in the 4 year package

10. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally would be quite happy picking between Klinnsman and Peckerman. If these are the choices, Gulati has done a good job.

11. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Agree with Martin. I've been thinking about Pekerman since early in the World Cup, mostly b/c of his success building through youth - which is where I think the USMNT needs to focus right now - and the signature style of play that I loved watching Argentina play.

Would love it if he were a leading candidate.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    if he can overcome the language barrier, that'd be a fantastic choice.

13. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should be okay with everyone except Dempsey. He'll have a lot of trouble understanding him. :)

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Pekerman's American! He's not North American, as some were hoping for, but that's a minor quibble.

I'm available to translate for 10% of his salary - my advice is 100% free. Deal?

15. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of felt like the American Construction was a direct counter to the, "big time foreign" requirement he's debating in the article. I did feel that he probably would have included all the other guys as sufficiently American Bred or at least soccer-bred, but it was kind of a handled badly in the piece.

16. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    pekerman would need an assistant who he could trust who had solid english...

also, there are enough americans who speak spanish, including donovan...

and need we go back to recent korean coaches, who spoke NO korean...