Bradley [r]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by lurking, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that what we say EVERY year.

Just disband Metro or move them and give us an expansion team in a year.

I doubt Osorio's leaving England. He'll be a head coach there soon enough.

2. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe he always was "dumb" and had help, captain NOWAK ?

3. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    That's certainly possible. But it's highly unlikely, at least to me, that Nowak helped him in his coaching. If, OTOH, you're saying that he had good PLAYERS, then who picked them? If it was BB then why don't we have another Nowak here? Could a coach who selected Nowak ALSO pick Glen, Taylor and SGR?

The plot thickens. :)

=NLK=

4. dbm20th

dbm20th New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Morris County. NJ
    Ahh yes, how I miss thos great seasons. Clint scoring in the MLS cup...Clint parading around Giant's Stadium with the US Open Cup in his hand, gracioulsy thanking the adoring fans...the championship banners with Clint's face sewn in. I miss OZ, too...

5. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    if we lose bad in DC next week, i seriously would suggest dumping bradley and bringing sigi over here.

6. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    AEG can't move them; who'd want them? Stand down for a couple years, re-open as Garden State FC in Harrison? I could almost live with that, and MLS could use the financial break NOT paying rent at the Swamp would bring.

7. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I guess I'm now officially part of the problem, since I've only been to four games this season. But it is just so sad to see the MEtros in such sad shape. The field was crap, the crowd was crap, Tim Regan was crap, the play was ok, but man, it's just freaking depressing in Giants stadium. And it's clear that Bob Bradley isn't close to solving this franchise's problems. There was so much hope when he came over (personally, I was skeptical), but again, hope seems to be dashed.

A full do-over for this franchise might not be such a bad idea.

8. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

for how long are we going to give him credit for what he did in Chicago, the Metro is our team, fu** Chicago, ......i think a lot has to do with the leadership he had back then the eastern european hard working connection

last years team was his, this years team is his, ...if he didn't pick the players its still his fault for letting others pick them for him( i doubt it very much to be the case), but no matter how you slice it, he is the coach and responsible for the results on the field

9. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    If AEG decides it doesn't want to keep shelling out for a team in the NYC area,
    and takes the SJ approach, MLS is finished here. Would they find a buyer? I doubt it -- does anyone know of any person or persons or entity that has tendered an offer for Metro?

Would taking a double hit -- no SJ, no Metro -- cripple MLS? I doubt that as well. If the NFL can survive without a team in LA, MLS could survive without one in NYC. Yes, the NFL is like GM compared to the MLS bicycle shop, but MLS needs are comparably less as well.

It won't happen. We can be reasonably sure AEG want to be in or near the Big Apple, and so does MLS. But how long can they tolerate a team that epitomizes MLS mediocrity to the millions of soccer fans in the region? It's one thing to have a presence here, another to have a bad smell.

I could see publicity being handled in a way to bolster MLS, rather than damage it. Standing down for two years to open a Garden State team in Harrison, while Metro is on hold for a stadium of its own in NYC -- at Aqueduct, who knows? All in order to bring the best in soccer to a discerning fan base. Yada-yada-yada.

After 9 years people have just given up any hope of this team being anything but mediocre. Something must be done to change this situation.

10. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Nowark chided Bradley after the match:

Nowak laughed off the notion that his team fouled its way to a victory.

"This is D.C. United versus MetroStars, you have to be prepared mentally and physically for the battle," he said. "This is a man's game, not a chess game. Soccer-wise we were the better team and we deserved to win."

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr...lRUV5eTY2MDM3MzImeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Bradley and the officiating crew should all be fired

I didn't know the referee's in the USA they also part of the "System" :)

12. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell - I was talking about foist these guy on RSL - crap FO - checketts would deserve that crapitude. Perfect

Give MEtro an expansion team and start all frickin over.

(obviously this couldn't happen for the reasons Brownswan stated. I am aware of this. It's just I've given up all hope after 9 years.

13. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I dunno to me it just looks like the some old crap, just different faces. If you close your eyes, pretend it's 2002, end of season slump, disasterous playoff games, mediocrity etc. It's just the same.

Let's see just how good a coach Bob Bradley is. He has 1 game to prove himself. He has the players. He has the talent. Just go beat DC. It's just DC United. They're not friggen Manchester United or Arsenal. They're not that great.

Go prove yourself, Bob. If you cant, get outta here.

14. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Come on, I hope you're just thinking out loud in the throes of the same depression I'm in, but this is sheer insanity.

Relatively speaking, there are far, far worse teams in every sport. We're not the frigging Clippers of MLS - not pathetic, not hapless, just mediocre. Welcome to the standard enjoyed by 70% of the world's soccer teams.

Bottom line: we'll flame out next weekend and everyone will spit and cuss, but put together a nice 3-4 game winning streak next year, and people will get hopeful all over again. That's the way it goes.

I'm just as uninspired and demoralized by the way we've finished the season - as well as the seemingly unstoppable downward slide we've been on since 1996 - but that's just the way it is.

The underlying problems in the FO and with the stadium will continue to be there as long as they're there - that's a sad fact that can't be denied. But the thought of the Metros (or any team in MLS, for that matter) going 'on hiatus' is way, way out there.

15. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No - I don't think he does have the talent yet - not in the way that you mean it. We've got some talent, but the team itself is still inchoate. If you consider that he took a chance on 3 guys - Taylor, Glen, and SGR - three guys who showed glimpses of talent (well, ok, two of them did, I'd even say SGR looked ok before totally losing his confidence early on) and that as excited as we were at the beginning of the season (remember FT looking like the second coming?), as certain as we were that one of the three had to pan out as a formidable scorer, objectively speaking, none of them have. Sure there's talent there - but that talent hasn't added up to much. Instead we've relied all year on a do-everything midfielder with a hothead streak and a hustler, while hoping for a couple teenagers to pick up the slack. That's not an especially hard team to shut down.

So that's their fault for not living up to expectations, and it's BB's fault for making three bad bets. It just didn't work. There's enough blame to go around, and they all should take their share of it. Whatever the case may be, this Metro team is not there yet.

I guess it's a question of whether you believe a Guevara-Gaven-Magee-Pope-Clark-Parke-whoever else hangs around core is worth waiting another year or two for.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Wow....you guys are a tough bunch to please. Can you name ANY former Metros coach who has had you at the top of the standings for more weeks then Bradley? This guys has brought RESPECT to a franchise with the annual tag "underachiever".

Having said that, the Fire were champions because of vets like Nowak and Kubik. These guys didn't need to be coached, just supported. WHOMEVER assembled that squad deserves the kudos.

Who are the "vets" on the Metros? Pope? Does he really look like the kind of guy that demands respect?

I hate to say this, but you guys miss someone like Richie Williams or Jesse Marsch. Guevara's a good player, but he whines too much and I doubt he is the kind of leader that inspires a team (see last season's clash with Mathis for example). You need a guy that will do lots of the "dirty" work and demand that his teammates do the same.

17. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes

The hated Zambrano. In 2000 the team finished first, in 2001 second in the division.

TEAM GP W L T PTS GF GA
    2000 MetroStars 32 17 12 3 54 64 56
    2001 MetroStars 26 13 10 3 42 38 35

18. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    OZ did a much better job than Bradley has ever done and he was coaching against 9 other teams, not 7.

What I liked about OZ's teams, was the fact that those guys played for 90 minutes. I don't care how bad they were, but their heart and commitment to the team was invaluable when it mattered most. You do have some 100% Metro guys like Woly, Magee, Gaven, Amado, Parke, and Clark, but are going to expect a guy like Pope to play as hard as a guy like Petke who was a born a Metro and became an All-Star through the Metros? I don't think so. Those guys were tough and would foul. So what if Petke got red carded two or three times a season, he was playing tough and prevented other guys from scoring.

I feel that when they lost in the OZ days, it was a big deal. With Bradley, they lose all the time it seems and personally, does it matter if they win? They'll just lose the next two, or with luck, tie one. When you have so many internationally capped players on one team and fail to score a goal at home, there are issues. The problems aren't the way they play on the field, it's they way that they are mananged. And right now, I think a guy like Mo Johnson could do a better job.

19. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe we could trade him back to Chicago for a draft pick or player

20. Benito

Benito Red Card

Aug 25, 2004

This makes sense. I think he did Panic, again it is hard not to panic when you fall behind and the team is not playing what I would call a good game. I agree you stay calm and if you are playing a good game you can think at anytime you can put 5 passes together and score and draw even then you have a chance to jump ahead.

Pull a back and leave holes in the back and lose the ball you can get behind 0-2 from 0-1.

21. Benito

Benito Red Card

Aug 25, 2004
    If we were playing a good game you always have a chance to win no matter where you play. Are we playing a good game?

22. Benito

Benito Red Card

Aug 25, 2004
    You would think Bradley is married to Galvan Rey he has proven this season that he is not a dangerous scorer at striker.

I suppose in practice Bradley tried bothTaylor and Glen playing striker together using 2 wings (who are our wings again?) and an offensive mid as servers v dm, 4 backs and keeper on a 3/4 field right? They must have proved to Bradley that they can not be dangerous on the field together I assume. In this drill our offensive mid should be getting into the attack after the pass in the flow of play.

23. Benito

Benito Red Card

Aug 25, 2004
    Ziadie is right back and regan is a left back. Our other back forget his name has played both sides at back. He should have played the right back no?

24. Benito

Benito Red Card

Aug 25, 2004
    How about he drops a pass back to an inside mid and he shoots?

25. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Except that those teams have a couple of games a year against high-priced, talent laden teams, and there's a certain excitement to the prospect of occassionally winning those games. There's also the pride of being a small to medium size club that survives in the top flight. We are mediocre in a sea of mediocrity, where there is no great consequence to finishing second or eitght, or even tenth frankly. Where is the ecxcitement?

We are in a league that constantly redistributes talent to bring the bottom teams up, at some point, odds are it should be our turn to achieve something, at least make it to a cup. But we don't. Something is very wrong.

Frankly, I would prefer the pride of being an underfunded, under paid team who has some high priced teams come to town from time to time, and getting rare but occassional results. That's what those other 70% get to experience. What do we get?