Bradley: Mathis Must Show Up or Sit

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by strider026, Oct 9, 2003.

1. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    I looked and I have not seen anything. What have you seen?

So that we understand each other I like Mathis and would like to see him do well. I still think he can be a force for Metro FC and the Nats. Some said there is no way a 27 year old player could need a coach to provide motivation (light a fire under his butt). I disagree. Some players (people, any of us) get set in our ways and complacent. I would not put it past Bradley to let Mathis know he is guaranteed nothing. The question is would he do it privately or to the media.

2. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    Exactly. There's nothing to be seen. The author took three quotes from Bradley and blew them up (see what psycho killer says a few posts up). This has nothing to do with Mathis, but with the author's liberties, starting at the title and down to the ()'s.

3. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Do you have a source for the MetroStars unhappiness or are you taking liberties?

4. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    No, I just made it up on the spot. :rolleyes: Just like the author...

And since all your posts on this board are to promote soccer365.com, I suggest you contact the MetroStars about this.

5. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    A good coach like Bradley would never issue his player an ultimatum through media. It’s up to the writer to read between the lines and spell it out for the readers. Of course he (the writer) would have to blow up the typical coach talk to some extent. That’s very normal for a coach/writer Q&A.

Reading the article, I think how the quotes came about may be like the following:

Writer: “Mathis has not played well of late, and he got himself suspended for the last league game as well as the USOC semifinal. Will he automatically start when he comes back, even though the team and other forwards have played well in his absence?”

BB: "No, he doesn't. No, it's a fair point. If Clint can still be guy on the front end who can be better and take chances and be dangerous, then is a nice possibility. But if it doesn't happen I think these other guys have shown throughout the year that there has been many games when he hasn't played where they have done all right for themselves."

Notice all the ()’s are taken out, but you can still see a subtle but clear message to Mathis: you’d better perform.

6. ej_dad

ej_dad New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Flower Mound, TX
    Mathis vs Dallas Burn, a easy way out of his slump.

7. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Clint has a case of both Faria-itis and now Moreno-itis. Not stepping up when needed and bogging down our offense. Keeps winding up in the midfield- I believe he's too tired to go forward at times. Better off without him at this point as he screws up Geuvara and Gaven's runs by gettig in the way.