Bradley coaching watch

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bshredder, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley doesn't need to be in a hurry. Within the next year many more MLS vacancies will open up. Just in Canada alone we'll probably need 3 new coaches. In the meantime, he may get that perfect European adventure.

Excellency, taylor and (TxT) repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Bradley wants a job in Europe. He isn't coming to MLS until the Spring (if nothing comes of note). Though after the WC, some NT jobs might be opening up.

3. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's interesting, this is exactly what I thought was the Catch-22 for an American coach looking to get a job in Europe--that the only offers you'd be likely to get, as the first American to head over there, would be far enough to the periphery of European football that you'd be unlikely to want to take them. But Bradley seems to covet the title of trailblazer (or just the diversity of personal experiences) enough to make what I think would otherwise be regarded as a very lateral move.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Bradley wouldn't be a trailblazer, would he? Coaching in the first division in Norway is not a step up from what Berhalter did in Sweden.

5. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Berhalter?

6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Lawlz, that didn't last long. :) Fair point. And I guess Berhalter is an example of the same conundrum.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2208 m vann, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    Well.....You are right to some degree. It could be argued this is a step up simply due to Stabaek being in the 1st division and Hammarby were in the 2nd division during Berhalter's tenure. Part of the reason Gregg was canned was due to the fact Hammarby did not win promotion. But yes, I agree, mostly with the thought, that Gregg could / should be the actual trailblazer.

Edit:

If I wanted to get real technical regarding a trailblazer, Joe Enochs, managed German 3rd Liga side, VfL Osnabruck, the club where he has legenday status, in 2011 or 2012. He only managed the one season due to not having the required licensure, IIRC.

keller4president and Roger Allaway repped this.
  8. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aveslacker and m vann repped this.
  9. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I thought it was somewhat telling (maybe I'm reaching) that Al Ahly got absolutely trounced by Monterrey in the CWC yesterday, only a few days after losing to Evergrande.

It can't be a positive sign for Eyptian soccer when the top Egyptian team that holds a good number of the internationals, gets worked like a rental car.

Tom Collingsworth and Jeff Bradley repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Berhalter got his job through connections, plus wasn't he still taking coaching lessons. Bradley if he joins the club, probably their most high profile manager ever. Certaintly the most high profile manager in Norway.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    whatever happened to Enoch. Didn't he keep them from being relegated?

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm afraid he didn't. He took over too late in the season to do anything more than go down with more of a fight. He went back to coaching the youth team the following season, and is still there, IIRC.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he is working on his coaching badges. He had some sort of exception to coach them for half a season.

14. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Stabæk is actually a lesser job than most MLS jobs but, I think because of BB's lack of European club coaching history that he may have to take a lesser job to "prove" that he's capable of managing a club team in Europe.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Often you have to start at the bottom. Hopefully 10 years from now, US managers won't have to continue to do the same.

16. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference between Bradley and the other managers mentioned, of course, is that they all had playing experience in Europe.

Bradley is carrying the flag for all potential managers that came up in the American game. So 'Trailblazer' is more than appropriate.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, man! The great Hans Backe once patrolled the sidelines for Stabaek. ;) :D

Gorky repped this.
  18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Really doubt that many people in Norway would know Bradley from let say Sampson. And pretty sure that there are guys likes OGS that have ten times higher profiles among locals.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley certainly wouldn't be the first American manager in Europe, but I still think that a "trailblazer" tag is up for grabs.

Berhalter -- fired after team underperformed relative to resources/expectations
    Enochs -- short-term caretaker
    Goulet -- managed in the German third division, which were regional at the time

These guys didn't really blaze a trail for others. In the end, they just wandered around in the forest a bit.

20. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Certainly Solkjear would be the big name there (for how long who knows). Bradley would be a big name for the Tipp through.

Here's to a new team to pull for in 2014 :thumbsup:

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  21. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Gorky and Hobo repped this.
  22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Puerto Rican, too, right?

23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Magath is the ultimate dick wad and should not be called anything but such and that includes: pioneer, trailblazer, forerunner, pathfinder, or leader! ;) :D

24. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    True, but was he an American? Did he ever get a passport? If so, he's the first American to coach in Europe, plain and simple.

m vann repped this.