Bradley asked if Clint's a disapointment.....and here's his answer!

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroFever, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well with the bronchitis situation Clint has his excuses lined up. First knee injury not healed fully, then hernia operation, then not in shape or match fit, then bronchitis, now bronchitis again. This guy needs to go to the Mayo Clinic before he plays again as he will never be fully healthy.

2. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've been hearing about this since before the USOC. I've never had bronchitis, but someone who has might be able to tell me; if you're taking good care of yourself - proper diet, proper rest, looking after yourself, seeing a good doctor if need be - shouldn't you have gotten rid of bronchitis after a month or so? A good friend of mine, who's pretty athletic (he's a personal trainer) typically gets bad bronchitis, but that's only after exercising outside in very cold weather.

I'm not doubting Clint is suffering from bronchitis, I'm wondering why it's taking so long for him to get better.

Maybe the stress and strain of being a pro athlete can wear you down and make recovery harder...but I would've thought it would be the exact opposite. Someone get the guy a homeopath.

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Wow - amazingly balanced article from someone who I thought only half-followed MLS, if that.

I'd take Mathis back in a second, but I'm a fan for life, even if he doesn't get his mojo back. Heck, it was only 2 months ago that he looked like the Mathis of old vs. the E-quakes, so I won't be shocked if he does make a rebound. There was a semi-recent Eddie Lewis article on how he went through some pretty low times (on and off the field) when he was on the bench at Fulham and sucking for the National team. I'm still hopeful that Mathis can have a similar return to form.

4. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    He might have to quit smoking too.

5. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Filip Bondy does a really good job whenever he writes something about MLS, which isn't all that often but at least a couple times a year - usually when there's a big game or a big story (new coach, etc).

And I'm not just saying that because if you read between the lines, or actually right on the lines :

Internet reports of interest in Mathis from second-division teams in Germany are just rumors for the moment, not money in the bank.

it's a safe bet he checks the boards now and then.

6. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    That game was four months ago, July 2nd. He did have the two-goal game in KC, Sept. 6 (a day that now lives in infamy). Hat trick Saturday. Book it.

7. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Whoops - faulty math or wishful thinking.

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Not meaning to troll, but there is no chance this happens.

First, the "rumblings" of Buddle and BMB playing the same game came only in a Wynalda piece for MLSnet. No Crew fan, and certainly no capable coach thinks their games are too similar. They hooked up well this season, and until late August the Crew was actually undefeated when the two started together.

However, Cunningham, like Mathis, is available on free transfer after this season. If both were to resign with the league I think a Cunningham for Mathis straight up deal might work out well for both teams.

9. Bradley is right. It's Mathis' fault and most Metro fans understand that as God's own truth. When the Metro jettison Mathis at the end of the season, Bob will be taking us straight to the double next year.

10. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
  11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Good point - it's not like players like Ruud Van Nistelrooy would ever miss 2 pks in a row.

12. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    What the hell are you talking about? Where has Bob gone out of his way to rip Clint? When your home run hitter goes HR-less for two freaking months, it's wrong, when asked about his performance, to say he's struggling? My gut feeling is that Bob tried to stroke Mathis all year long...this slump did not just begin, folks...and now he's just calling a spade a spade and seeing if the different tact works better. I don't think Bob has blamed the conclusion to the season on Mathis in a "he cost us the playoffs" manner, but I think he's answered questions about his max-salary striker as honestly as he can. When you sub a star out of a final, you'd better have some type of explanation. Bob said Mathis wasn't having a good game and the Fire defenders were getting the best of him. Boo hoo. He was asked about Mathis not scoring for two months and he said, "It's hard to figure out why he doesn't get chances" when every other forward he's put out there gets shots on goal. Seriously, when is the last time Clint was rejected by a post or a great save from the run of play? I hope Clint's delicate psyche can handle such verbal abuse. I'm sure it's going to be easy to score for Energie Cottbus or whatever.

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    At the end of the day though, Bob is responsible for selecting the side and should take full responsibility if he keeps selecting an out of form Clint (not saying he has overtly blamed Clint at this point). Mathis isn't the reason that the team has looked confused, directionless, half-assed, asleep on defense, etc. -- or at least not the only reason -- and Bob's no comment to me suggests he may be thinking about a possible scapegoat.

14. Simon Birch

Simon Birch New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    With McOwen's Monkey
    Let's face it, in MLS, a sub-par Mathis is still worth starting.

Does Bradley really have a choice? Wolyniec can come in and show some flashes, off the bench. Magee is good but not great, yet. And now is not the time to use Nugent.

15. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I've seen so many games where Mathis is just about the best player on the field, then I come on here and hear him get ripped. By his own fvcking fans. Presumably for not scoring.

I've seen him stand around and bitch a few games, yeah. But most of this season he's running his ass off as if to prove a point. I come on here and read for three games in a row "Well, Clint did run his ass off last night..." and then he's immediately characterized as the fat guy who stands around and bitches.

And yeah - NEWSFLASH - the Metros have a tough time creating goals. Wonder why Mathis spends so much time and effort in midfield?

Bradley's Metros are a PDL team plus two or three real stars. Let's keep that in mind. Clint almost single-handedly raised the bar of your expectations with a string of clutch goals in the first half of the season. Just as he shouldn't have to bear the weight of a midfield general, veteran leader of a bunch of kids AND target striker/Great White Hope for a Goal all in the same game, he shouldn't have to play wearing the albatross of your unjust criticisms and abuse. I think Bob recognizes all this even if the fans and media do not. If Bob does end up scapegoating Clint in the end, I'll be very disappointed.

I think Clint's a remarkably cool, humble and sincere player, given the hand soccer has dealt him. The reward for his amazing talent has been mainly injury, insults, strife and ignominy.

Clint rules. Send him to San Jose.

16. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    Anyone know if this guy has been watching the 2001 Year In Review Tape?

17. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mathis received the ball in the box, he was alone with the keeper true not center but left, however Clint never got a shot off, he took frakin long time to massage the stupid ball, in 3 seconds he had 3 defenders on him and one took the ball away from him. This is what Clint had, but he has no confidence in himself.

18. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    I can give Clint a lot of slack for his performances, but I can never give him any for taking a long time to massage his balls.

19. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

my sentiments exactly,

It's very difficult to say " fire Bob " and i won't say it, i belive he can do better and he will next seson, wait and see...... but he has to take full responsability and blame himself. He got us to the playoffs and US Open Cup final ( my hat off to him ) but the team plays poor soccer, we loose so much at home, its just not good for the business.

20. gwebster

gwebster New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Bethany, CT
    Indeed! The average weight of a black-footed albatross is 6.2 lbs. Extra weight that a striker doesn't need. Also, they attract the attention of defenders.

21. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Does it come with wafers?

22. Soccer C

Soccer C New Member

May 6, 2001
    NY
    What is it with those Georgia Boys? First Josh Wolff - who frankly needs to drink some milk, and now Clint. I sure hope Ricardo Clark is taking his vitamins.

23. stutrnjo

stutrnjo New Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Avoca, Pa
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Bradley asked if Clint's a disapointment.....and here's his answer!

I can't blame him either.....why should he start something new now? It's a shame that he (must) continues to read those old raves saying what a great player he is (going to be).....that boat has sailed.

24. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, as far as I'm concerned, we'll take him. I think he needs a change of scenery. That California sunshine will do wonders for his bronchitis, too.