Bracket confusion

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by tagosti, Jul 18, 2003.

1. tagosti

tagosti Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    These two different CONCACAF website give conflicting information regarding the pairings/locations for the semifinals. If US and Mexico both win in the quarters, do they meet in the semis? Where?

This one implies that it would be US vs Mexico in Miami:
    http://stats.soccerconfederation.co...gp:591706:48302+Template/results+1073+2003+50

While this one implies , umm I am not sure; the "respectively" comment in the note at the bottom is more than a little confusing:
    http://www.concacaf.com/graphics/photos/goldcup2003.html

Surely they wouldn't move Mexico out of Mexico City, would they?

2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    US and Mexico can only meet in the final. If Mexico wins there match they play the winner of the Costa Rica vs El Salvador game in Mexico City. If the US win they face the winner of the Brazil vs Colombia game in Miami.

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    donde?

USA will travel to DF?

if colombia wins vs Brazil, next game is in Mexico?

4. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Its kind of sad that CONCACAF can't get the setup of their own tournament right.

US-Cuba winner plays the Colombia-Brazil winner in Miami. Mexico-Jamaica winner plays Costa Rica-El Salvador winner in Mexico City.

The US doesn't leave the country until the final (assuming they make it that far).

5. MeVale

MeVale New Member

Sep 25, 2000
    Lombich, Cal.
    brackets

'Scuse me for askin'--but the brackets and sites in the Gold Cup seem to keep changing depending on who advances. It don't seem fair or regular and by all indications it favors Mex-Brazil in el Azteca.

6. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    i don't know about fair or not, but with the US and Mexico co-hosting, the deal was that they would get to play all of their games in their home country (until the final).

there were two options - one would have been to have had two groups play in one country the whole way through so that the winner of A1vB2 and A2vB1 in the quarter finals would meet in the semis - the downside of this is option is that teams in the same group might have to play each other for a second time in the semis (here, that would be Mexico and Brazil) - although they could have done this, it's not the normal way a bracket is done - the preference is generally to avoid rematches as long as possible

the second is basically to keep US and Mexico at home and change the other pairings as necessary to permit that - that's what they've done - it's obviously not the "normal" way to do a bracket either, but since this has always been the understanding (at least to my knowledge), I don't think that it's "unfair" or "favors" anyone, other than the US and Mexico, who were guaranteed home field advantage as hosts

as co-hosting becomes more and more normal in tournaments, my guess is that we will see more and more of this and what is considered "normal" will change dramatically

7. MeVale

MeVale New Member

Sep 25, 2000
    Lombich, Cal.
    I buy most of what you’re saying about co-hosting becoming more popular and why. Still, what’s normal everywhere else often doesn’t apply to the unique conditions of the U.S. Tournaments get placed in the U.S. precisely because they don’t yield one or even two “home” teams, but rather a home crowd for every participant, if the venue is properly selected. More often than not, the only “visitor” is the U.S., the courageous efforts of Sam’s Army notwithstanding.
    As for the final in the Azteca, given that México dispatches Steve and the Ticos-- the Tri would far rather play for the glory of a win, tie, or even and honorable loss against Brazil. Just the thought of losing to the U.S. in the Azteca, and the reaction of the fans, makes the Mexicans nervous beyond words.