PBP: BPL R4: NUFC at Everton, 17 Sept.

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by tigerdave, Sep 13, 2012.

1. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]@[​IMG]

Monday game. 8 pm kick off local time, 3 pm Eastern. ESPN2 here in the States.

Looks like Coloccini, Tiote, Simpson AND Krul are all out.

2. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I saw Pardew on the local news earlier pretty much slating international call ups and how they always seem to send players back injured. Shane Ferguson got injured with Northern Ireland too.

3. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that's at least seven guys that are out, counting Raylor and Shola, no?

Likely lineup writes itself: Harper, Santon, Perchinho, Saylor, Anita, Jonas, MiniCheick, Cabaye, HBA, Ba, Cisse.

4. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're Dan Gosling you have to feel like your future lies at another club at this point after seeing an 18 year old join the club and get more playing time than you.

Agree with the line up Dave except think Willo could get the start over Bigi or Perch due to Everton's set piece offense.

5. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    From what we've seen of Gosling I think his future lies in the championship.

6. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more thinking Saylor for Screech and Perch to deal with Jelavic. He gives up a couple inches but he can match pace better than Willo.

7. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incidentally, the next goal we score will be our 1,000th in the PL.

8. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Seems as though Shane Ferguson is available after all, for all Pardew said he was injured with Northern Ireland (he was for their first game last Friday) he played for them in their game on Tuesday and is available. Sammy is also back from his long list of injuries, Shola is back too to give us a full quota of Ameobis. Haris Vuckic is also back, but we start the Europa League campaign this week too...

9. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle United (4-2-3-1): Steve Harper; James Perch, Mike Williamson, Steven Taylor, Davide Santon; Vurnon Anita, Jonas Gutierrez (c); Hatem Ben Arfa, Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux; Papiss Cisse
    Substitutes: Rob Elliot, James Tavernier, Gael Bigirimana, Dan Gosling, Gabriel Obertan, Shola Ameobi, Demba Ba

10. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonas and Cabaye both fail to close Baines down and Harper shows his age with slow reflexes on a ball within reach and Everton up 1-0

11. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle are getting completely outplayed. Newcastle finally play the formation I think allows HBA and Cabaye to show their attacking ability and the team can't even string together a set of passes. Losing not one but 3 balls due to sloppy possession just outside their own 18 is unforgivable. Newcastle are lucky not to be down 3-0 if not for some luck in the misses by Jagielka and Pienaar. Team needs to switch Anita to RB and bring on Bigi as a DM because Anita and Jonas are offering very little there right now.

12. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1-1

13. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Demba Ba with our 1,000th Premier League goal.

14. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle steal a point from a Ba brace.

Almost as big a note, the TV announce crew reported that Obertan refused to go on in the second half as a substitute. If that's the case GTFO

NUFCBayern repped this.
  15. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a very good point for us, certainly didn't expect anything out of this.

16. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ridiculous... in a good way.

17. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well we were terrible in the first half, and Ba did more in three minutes at the start of the second half than Marveaux did in the whole of the first half. He looked very keen when he did get on, Cisse was quiet again, thought he would have buried that volley in the first half. Everton were very unlucky, but it's a point more than we got in the corresponding game last season.

Think we've started every game really poorly this season though, even the win against Spurs...

18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Huge, Huge, HUGE sigh of relief.

Shola got that tie for us.

Tim Howard looked as bad as Steve Harper looked old.

Thought Cabaye had run out of gas well before his sub as well. 90' match fit never seems to come regularly with him. All the moreso when Tiote is out.

Can't wait to read the reax later on the two disallowed goals.

Thx,

Jay!

19. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one was definitely over the line, but right after that the ref blew for a foul when Ben Arfa had skinned the last defender and we were in 3-on-0.

I didn't see either of the goals ruled out for offside so can't comment.

20. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Ben Arfa is never in position to make the breakaway if they call the goal.

Fellani was onside on the second offside goal. Jelakovic was definitely off.

Thx,

Jay!

21. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give you that, but that's a product of not having goal-line tech rather than the refs missing it. Anichebe is falling into the net between the ball and the linesman, and there's also the small matter of the post. This isn't Frank Lampard where there's a demonstrable gap between the ball and the line.

If the technology is there then only Everton got screwed but under the existing rules we both did.

22. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought on seeing the replays that it was a goal for them, but having looked at a couple of stills I'm not convinced that the whole of the ball was over the whole of the line. (In fact I can't find one that shows it was definitely over the line)

[​IMG]

Of course if it's not a goal then we really did get screwed by the refusal to play advantage on the break-away.

Oh and Harper did well in saving that header if its not over the line, but I was disappointed with how he did on both their goals, both went straight through him and I think he is showing his age now.

tigerdave repped this.
  23. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Crazy game. Referee had a laugher. We need to get uhhh......less injured.

Waiting patiently for Cissé to get off the mark. He has a monkey on his back.

Ordered my Ameobi 23 shirt after this match. Clutch.