Boys youth teams playing WUSA teams?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by monibie, Nov 5, 2003.

1. monibie

monibie New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Germany
    What do you think on which age level top boys youth teams would be comparable to average WUSA teams? Heard something about a boys 16under team beating the geman womens national team 2:0. Do you think this is realistic?

View also my privat: http://misterpoll.com/3081174690.html

And please: No hostile statment concerning womens soccer!!!!

Moni

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Women vs. Boys

It has been written on these boards that -

a) The U.S. women routinly beat U15 boys
    b) The women and U16s play good matches
    c) The women get trounced by a top U17 team

Whether this is true or not, I cannot say.

3. Alej

Alej New Member

Nov 11, 2002
    South Orange, NJ
    Loomis Chafee HS (i believe in mass) scrimmaged the us womens natl team before the 1999 womens world cup and beat them.

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John R has got it just about right. This topic has been discussed many times in many ways.

I watched the Boston Breakers get hammered by a U16 select club team. Once the boys figured out that Allie Kemp was the only speed threat they just dumped her on her arse everytime she got near the ball.

5. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've coached women at or near that level, and yes, a top U16 boys team would cause them plenty of trouble, and a top U17 team would wipe the field with them.

My club's U16 boys played FSU this pre-season and until the boys ran out of legs, it was a very good match. Those boys aren't any kind of threat to win state cup, so they are VERY average. And in case you missed it, FSU lost to UNC 1-0 last week.

6. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the U-16 (now U-17) Greater Boston Bolts. They beat the Breakers twice. They are a very good club team (in the top 10 in the US, regional finalists)

7. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson New Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Richmond, Virginia
    The question is what is a "top" U-16 or U-17 boy's team? Are we talking about a national level team? A "Premier" level or otherwise elite club team? A "classic" travel team? A rec league team? A normal high school level team, etc.? I know that these terms mean different things in different parts of the country, but does anyone have any idea of the quality of the boy's teams at issue here?

8. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I reffed last year's 16 and 17 Greater Boston teams and they are very, very good. In this situation, we are talking about elite teams.

9. 2leftshoes

2leftshoes New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    bay area
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U 16 boys scrimmage San Jose

My son's U16 team scrimmaged cyber rays on 2 occasions. The team apparently did this quite often as the boys that age are very fast and the women get quite a work out. The ladies had much more accurate passes than the boys and were very skillful. I think the boys were quite nervous playing the likes of Brandi and CeCe. Once they decided it was okay to push the women around they got much more into the game. The cyber rays beat the boys both times they played. Our team is considered a top team in Norcal

10. simms3434

simms3434 New Member

May 26, 2003
    lexington, MA
    u 18 eagles

Two years ago I went to a soccer camp in my home state of MA that was run by the head Harvard men's soccer coach, as well as the u-18(then u-16) Boston Eagles (now bolts) coach. There were various guest speakers such as Steve Nicol, Rev's head coach, and the Ireland assistant coach well. Cristine Lilly was also another guest players. I talked to a few of the players on the Eagles team, and they said that they were beating the Boston Breakers 3-0 at halftime, and they had just stopped the game after that. That Eagles team does have Mike Videira and Charlie Davies (both of whom are on the 86 national pool), so I guess that didn't come as a huge surprise to me.

11. simms3434

simms3434 New Member

May 26, 2003
    lexington, MA
    oh yah, one more thing about the Boston Eagles team that i just mentioned above went to Amsterdam this summer, and advanced the the semi finals of the tournament. The tourney had youth teams from Ajax, PSV, and Feeyornord (i think i spelled that wrong) and other top dutch teams. So the more i think about it 3-0 probably wasn't a terrible score.

12. monibie

monibie New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Germany
    German national teams results

Just found two result:
    The german womens national team played a boys under17 after winning the worldcup. They played about 3 x 15 minutes and the boys (15/16 yr olds) won clearly 3:0.
    Some days later the german womens junior national team (under21) played a boys under15 team. And i'm realy amazed the junior women lost against the 13/14 yr olds 2:0.
    Can't imagine that 13/14 yr old boys beating average 20 old national junior teams players could be a question of physical differences. Any suggestion?