Boycott All Tabloid Papers!!!

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Toon³, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I am calling for all football fans not matter what team you support to boycott the tabloid papers. They have a reputation for bull shite but the recent Robson resiging and rape stories have brought about a new low. They have resorted to blatent lies and random speculation to sell there papers which i wouldn't wipe my arse with.

DOWN WITH TABLOIDS!!

2. Omlas

Omlas New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Can I ask how you can be so sure this is blatant lies and fabrication?

And please dont quote stories of accusations made that have never been proven in court.

Just because something couldn't be proven beyond all reasonable doubt doesn't mean it isn't true.

3. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Do you think Bobby would ever resign?

The rape case is speculation

4. Omlas

Omlas New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    As a true gent I think Bobbys immediate reaction to hearing that something like this had happened while he was in charge would in fact be to yes resign on principle.

Although as soon as he was assured he wasn't being held responsible I would understand his willingness to take it back.

As for the alegations, the reporters clearly know more than they can say and I reckon that the way thisstory is growing there is definitely something in it.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think you can refer to increasingly ludicrous and fevered speculation, (on these boards and elsewhere), as a story that is growing.

Personally I never read tabloid newspapers because they can't seem to seperate their editorial from their reporting.

6. Omlas

Omlas New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    i was refering to the stories about the police investigation. They are certianly taking it very seriously.

7. rossian

rossian New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I dont mean to be rude - I am currently travelling on business and I have seen the "rape" news over mainstream newspapers in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia in the last 3-4 days. I am not sure if it is purely fabrication.

8. BlondBird

BlondBird New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    U.K. South east.
    If it wasn't for the tabloids, my cats would have no paper to crap on in their litter tray!

9. oojason

oojason New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    England
    Why would people buy the tabloids still?

In the age of the internet why would you spend good money on rubbish, biased, popualrised, self-promotional hyprocritical stories ?

If you're gonna spend some money on newspapers go buy the Guardian, Independent or Observer - their reporters at least research their own stories, care about what they write and don't change their views to suit the public tates of the moment.

try www.guardian.co.uk/football for cold turkey

10. BlondBird

BlondBird New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    U.K. South east.
    oojason..... we are a wonderful nation of hypocrites.
    The tabloids cater for their audiences and all the time the demand is there, they will always deliver. The tabloids have the biggest chunk of the market due to "Joe Public" buying them.
    When we don't like what they print, we attack them! But how many of us stop buying them?
    I agree in principle with what you say and don't believe their is one newspaper that is 100% straight.

11. oojason

oojason New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    England
    ^ I agree completely.

Though we do have the choice not to contribute to the tabloids and buy a 'broadsheet'.

I haven't bought a tabloid in 14 years now, and whilst the 'broadsheets' may not be 100% peure they are certainly a welcome alternative.

12. BlondBird

BlondBird New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    U.K. South east.
    Have you seen the new independent? the tabloid size edition!! I haven't but am hoping the content is the same as the broad sheet!

13. oojason

oojason New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    England
    I havn't as yet, tho it'd probably confuse some people who buy it (thinking it was tabloid) as there'd be very few semi-naked pics of women in it...

Interesting concept though - hope it doesn't go the way of the Daily Mail - lol.

Last time I read the Independent there was a fantastic piece on how few school playing fields there were in inner city areas and what the government was doing to stop the sale of pitches to property developers - ie nowt.

Unsurprisingly, despite the pre-election promises to stop the sale of school land to developers only 2 sites (of 137 sold - IIRC) have been halted.