Boxing Day: Chelsea vs Southampton

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So after losing our best player, with a transfer ban, lying 4th AND into the knock-out round of the CL, people would be calling for his head, would they?
    Did you have maybe a couple of drinks earlier by any chance?

2. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Isn't it just down to fatigue. Also his rotation method is really puzzling.

3. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Big mistake from Frank giving CHO a pity start and keeping him on for so long. Only Mount looked up for the game today. Everyone else was sub-par. Also, the 343 worked against Spurs but we really cannot play that without proper wingbacks. Azpi and Emerson just don't cut it.

Expected Jekyll and Hyde from us this season and not surprised.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People called for Sarri’s head at the first chance they could. Conte the same and so on. Chelsea managers in the past haven’t been given this type of understanding. The reasons I stated are why he’s getting it right or wrong.

5. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Utter shitshow

6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No that’s just the nature of the beast at Chelsea. I’m not a supporter of that and hope we finally buck the trend and give a coach time but the reasons I stated are why he’s getting that, right or wrong.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Can we just play away this season? So dire.

lobomojo and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed.

Although, regarding CHO, it does rather beg the question... if he can't cut it against soton what games WILL he be useful in.

Emerson did OK I guess against a side that worked hard and was defending with width but Azpi just isn't a wing-back IMO.

But it's also important to remember that the ref was often a 'homer', albeit for the away side, which is something we tend to get unfortunately :(

TBH, though, I also think they just worked harder than we did.

lobomojo and Wrath repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    DID Sarri lose our best player and then immediately have a transfer ban imposed? I must have missed that bit.

Hey, maybe that's why people are also cutting him some slack and it's not down to him being a Chelsea legend?

Well, if you can call the situation being what it is and us being in our league and CL position 'cutting him some slack', I suppose.

Personally I always expected this season to be a bit like this under the circumstances but maybe that's just me.

Maybe I'm just more 'stoic'... yeah, that must be it :)

Crawleybus and lobomojo repped this.
  10. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah not sure about CHO. Has the new big contract got to his head?

Also kinda worrying this squad doesn't have Frank's do or die mentality. We go down one goal at home and it is curtains...

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can see the injury will have played a part so maybe he's just lost confidence? Dunno... very disappointing atm though, that's for sure :(

12. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Maybe he could do well with a loan. Worked for Tammy and Mount. Maybe he just has too much pressure (salary, injury, etc) to perform.

13. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Willian needs a rest.

Gacm32 repped this.
  14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also wasn’t exactly given funds to reshape a squad that wasn’t suited to play a system he was brought in to teach.

Losing Hazard and the ban def plays a part in it.

Historically yes he’s being cut slack.

I expected this as well. Hell we all expected this under Sarri but the start to season that year changed expectations. However, Lamps is making mistakes beyond just the talent. Yes we made it out of a weak group. Yes we’ve flashed brilliance at times. Yes he needs more time and yes the squad needs to be reshaped. That doesn’t change that the media and fans are going easier on him than they would someone else in the same circumstances.

15. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Don’t know what Frank was thinking with that XI. Should’ve played Mount and Pulisic instead of Willian and CHO. I feel like Frank plays attacking players (Willian and Pulisic) every match until their legs are about to fall off and they have a bad game due to that, then rests them for 3 games straight.

16. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well, we are playing Arsenal in 2 days. So I get the rotation of some players. What I don't get is the 3 CB formation against a team that doesn't warrant such a formation.

Barkley and Pedro starting should be good enough to get us 3 points against Southampton.

17. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't recall anyone asking for Conti's head, except Roman and the board maybe, till deep in his last season, and many like me wanted him back with more Board support til the end. Sarri got the benefit of doubt for long time, till some me especially, got sick of seeing nothing ever change or tried besides Kov for Barkley or reverse, results go south with several all time record losses.

And I recall neither losing the most prolific player, a part in dozens of goals, and having zero transfers, staying in top 4 ahead of tots, ManU and Arse so far

I am American but simply do not get why people who have anti-English, anti-Chelsea Legend bias support Chelsea

18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m American as well and I don’t have any of those biases. I could care less where the manger or players are from. However, I’ve been watching long enough to see that there’s been a change in how the media has discussed this team. There’s nothing wrong with it. It’s natural. And as I’ve stated, my concerns were always more with his lack of experience than anything. I’m just making a comment on what I see. The media has taken kid gloves with Frank comparatively. He was always going to be afforded a longer leash because of transfer ban and all of those other reasons. I just think the media and fans would have turned sooner if was just some random Italian or Spanish coach.

19. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah he has built credibility here. So what's wrong with that? Rest assured, if things stay the same, the club won't think twice before he is fired. The club also understands (I hope) he started the situation with a handicap which will give him a longer lease.

lobomojo repped this.
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Something's obviously not right. As you say, maybe a loan will build up his confidence.

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing really. Just commenting on it.

22. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #72 StamfordBridgeLions, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Yes and no. Biases? Well. I think the fact that a lot of the players are from our own academy is great. Also, that a lot of our players are young rising stars. Roman has invested a lot of money in the academy since his arrival and I am sure he is happy to see some players make the grade. A young manager is a natural choice for such a squad as our current one.

Personally i'm very happy to see some young local Sarf London born players in our team rather than some of the diva's we have seen over the years. But I am also happy with current players like Rudiger, Willian, Kante, etc.

I think the media likes to see young players and home grown ones, that is more the reason for our media bump rather than Frank imho.

Currently Frank has us in 4th despite our recent losses and we have yet to become a club in crisis. Arsenal, Spurs and United are still all lower in the table than us. Let's see how the game goes against Arsenal. If we start to fall out of the top 4 maybe Roman will look to Allegri - who is currently learning English. Frank knows that his job is not completely secure.

23. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Yes we’re young and that can lead to inconsistency, but EVERY one has been inconsistent this year (except Liverpool). The opening game against Man U and this game were two examples that suggest concern about tactics...but games like Tots show the potential is there. I’m certainly happy to wait for Frank grow into the job. The two transfer windows should be really interesting. As volatile as we’ve been with managers over the last few years, I’m having a hard time seeing anything happening so drastic that Frank wouldn’t make it til next season at a minimum. If two windows and a season to bring his system into the team end up with us laboring mid-table in the 2020-2021 season, then I’ll believe the hot seat rumors.

I have to assume Frank believed any talent he put on the field should be sufficient to beat a poor Southhampton team, because using the same approach against Tottenham and Southhampton doesn’t seem super savvy.

lobomojo repped this.
  24. limpidrock

limpidrock Member

Mar 19, 2008
    We've got to give credit to Soton. They were simply fitter than us, ran harder and faster.

Klopp finished 8th in his first season at Liverpool. Time is needed to build a squad. At the start of the season, I said I would be satisfied with a mid table finish and I still do.

It's a Chelsea thing to struggle during this time of the year. No surprises here.

Crawleybus and Rman3349 repped this.
  25. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wish it has been that good :(

Brock Hannsen repped this.