Bowling For Soup to play Allstar halftime

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Teenagers? Don't ask them -- they have no clue about music these days.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fogey.

3. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Generally speaking, perhaps. But I gotta give my daughter props; her musical taste is pretty eclectic: from her purchase of the album (yes, album) Simon & Garfunkel's "Bookends" to her picture disk of a Black Sabbath lp and pretty much everyone in between.

ANYway, to complete my research: She said they were pretty good - they're cheesy, but they know it. She had heard the song '1985'; AND...................I bet you people didn't know this: Rep for the first person to identify which Nick toon they did the theme song for........oh, wait.....I can't rep people........Nevermind, I'll just tell you: Jimmy Neutron.

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In completely unrelated news, Preki has just entered the game for KC. :D

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's funny is that now that I'm in my 30s, the type of music I've always liked is finally coming back in style. I wish it was like stocks, I could have invested in Garage Rock in 1994 and gotten rich...

6. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    as a general rule, if you are signed by MLS to perform at a halftime of either the MLS Cup Game or All Star game........................you suck

now this thread can be closed, or it can hibernate till the game and brought back out so everybody can shred the halftime show

so will little teenage girls wave Radio Shack or Sierra Mist banners as the band plays?

7. Stephen1164

Stephen1164 New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what's great about America, we can cry, moan, & complain about the littlest things in the world.

8. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Don't kid yourself.

Everyone cries about the little stuff. You just hear about the American whining.

9. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm 21 and i don't know who the ******** they are.

10. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    As long as we're whining...

I'm sure this has already been mentioned somewhere in this thread but......Instead of some halftime 'show' for the tv audience; how about run a highlite film....top goals; great saves; some great crowd shots. Assuming this game is on ABC in order to reach a larger audience - let's show them something that may encourage them to tune in the rest of the season.

Oh, and to imply that Americans are the only ones that complain........ :rolleyes:

11. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    A fun group like Bowling for Soup is going to keep more viewers in their seats than highlights of some garbage goals scored by guys who should have been marked sailing past goalkeepers who mistimed their attempted saves. Yes, highlights from the early seasons of this league are quite sad indeed. Few stars from the early years would even make the first 11s for teams now.

12. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    3 out of 4 of them are grossly overweight, falling in line with the MLS fan base.

What radio stations play this stuff?

13. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How crunk are they?

14. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i had no idea who did that 1985 song that i switch off every time i heard it. i assumed it was blink182 or one of their high school ilk

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doesn't matter.

The soccer fans who listen to the song don't know or remember 1985.

Most of the people who can remember 1985 will be buying more beer or in the bathroom taking care of the beer they drank at the tailgate.

16. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, according the statistical analysis being conducted on the musical tastes of BigSoccer users at Audioscrobbler.com, the halftime band should be The Decemberists. No other band consistently ranks in the top ten of most listened to bands among BigSoccer users.

Bowling for Soup doesn't even make it into the top fifty.

17. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i see what's going on here. i log on and see a bunch of bands i like which just so happens to be a list of bands that most people never heard of. I think i'm seeing a connection. A sport no one likes, and music no one likes... are we just elitist snobs?

no... it couldn't be. ;)

i joined the group btw, so it should kick The Shins and Belle & Sebastian up a few more notches

18. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The day that The Decemberists play an MLS halftime show is the day that I become an MLS investor.

19. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    If you have no idea who these guys are, but you know and like the White Stripes, that qualifies you as 'older' by music industry standards. . . or at least as a college graduate.

On the Decemberists, I'm slightly leery of a band that spells its own name wrong:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decembrists

20. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    38 years old, and have 4 of their songs on my iPod.

Paulina Rubio, on the other hand, who did the 2002 All-Star halftime show, makes no appearances on my iPod.

21. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have a ton of Everclear in mine.

22. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Wow, that song plays on your computer when you go to MLSNet.com.

Lame.

23. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    But you should've seen the reaction among the fans when she appeared. She apparently has quite a fair number of enthusiastic fans in D.C. Or at least a fair number of drooling fans.

24. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    I had never heard of the Decembrists until reading this thread yesterday. Last night, this group performed on Late Night with Conan O'Brien. I liked them. It's refreshing to see a band playing the piano, cello and violin, as well as the usual drums and acoustic guitars. Good stuff. I may have to check out more of their songs.

25. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    The only song of theirs I have is "Volvo Driving Soccer Mom", which would make them appropriate for MLS, of course.