Both Keepers exposed?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by CbR, Nov 17, 2004.

1. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    makes the thorton deal more obvious?

2. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'd say Thornton's better than even money to be a Metrostar next year somehow.

3. johnnygol

johnnygol New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Thorton instead Walker :eek: , I wish we could leave unprotected B. Bardley and Nick S.

4. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    BAD MOVE!!!!

It would be ok to get rid of Walker, but NOT for Zack Thornton!!!!

Keller, Countess, Reis, Brown...ok....

NOT ZACK....

5. g bugout

g bugout Member

Jan 27, 2002
    nyc
    we'll have Big Zack and Back-up Zack! A solid one-two! K-pip K-pap!

6. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it makes great sense.

I mean, who is going to pick up an unproven keeper in the draft when one team is supposed to sign Keller and the other is supposed to sign Walker? Epsecially when there will be better and more experienced keepers available. He's unprotected out there so we can protect a better player - and I'd say there's a less than 10% chance of him being drafted. ALso remember that if he can be pulled back after the first choice if need be (although I'm hoping Brenes is the one) Brilliant really.

Yeah Thornton is probably a Metro next year. But this is no surprise. It's a downgrade probably, but not a drastic one. I'm fine with it.

7. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intID=38308148

D'ya think Chicago's just talking out the side of their neck? Looks like they want Zach to stay.

It's funny, Since '96, goalkeeping has been a position of relative stability for the Metros. Now, in the course of one (off)season, it all seems to be shot to hell.

Eff-around. Pope could wind up back in DC for all we know- with Nelsen leaving 'n all.

8. gwebster

gwebster New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Bethany, CT
    I doubt Walker will be selected in the draft. Recovery from rotator cuff surgery could keep him out 6 months or more.

9. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goalie Musical Chairs:

Walker to Chivas, Ring to RSL, Thornton stays in Chicago, Keller to MetroStars.

10. metrosct

metrosct New Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Rowayton, CT
    It would be a bad move to pay max salary to Pope and Keller. Does anyone have an idea how much Walker is looking for to re-sign?

11. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    Third-string:

[​IMG]

12. Watch for news that Meola will be playing in NY next year.

13. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's going to disappoint all those who were hoping to see him finish out his career in MLS. Oh well - A-League ain't so bad, and Rochester's gonna outdraw us next year anyway.

14. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt we will get Zack Thornton. Chicago left their other 2 goalkeepers unprotected (Ring and Countess). So clearly they want to keep Thornton. Hence, Tony and Metros 2nd Wedding.

15. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they pay maximum salary on a GK like Zack or Tony who are arguably not as good as walker who comes in cheaper??? I don't see fans flocking to the stadium to see Tony or Zack either so i just don't get it. Why pay more and get less back???

16. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    'cause you have a terrible GM?

17. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thornton is no where near max salary anymore. In fact, he is definately making less than Walker. Fat Tony on the other hand...

18. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What source do you have, other than Tony saying that he would like to play in New York?

19. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    There are none other than rumors. People claiming he was cleaning out his locker today, so we're expecting change.

20. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    ....... Thorton, Meola back in the house?.....umm, no.

Give Walker his walking papes and keep looking.

Maybe coach Bob can't tell if people know how to play keep either.

Let's get that guy who played in the opening round of the FA cup. Looked like he could take Thornton, Meola and Walker. (that part's a joke...and unfortunately so are our keeper choices and rumors thus far)

21. Sometimes it is a rumor and sometimes it is a fact. This deal is done.

22. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Maybe so, but until an official press release from KC or NY comes out, it's still just a rumor to me. "Done" deals blow up all the time, so I'm just waiting for something official.

23. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Based on the daily herald article linked above, as well as today's Fire news, you could end up getting a phone call from the Henry Ring salesman real soon...