Boston Red Sox, 2004. World Series Champions. No R Needed.

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by ProfZodiac, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Boston Red Sox 2004, Thread Three [R]

Absolutely amazing to see the team perform so well against the AL's best. That said, it'll all be for naught unless this team actually goes farther than last year's squad. One game a a time...

2. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA

I want the Yankees to make the playoffs. The Red Sox are better than them in every aspect.

3. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Schilling gets his 19th win, Manny hits his 40th homerun on his 17th career Grand Slam as the Sox win 13-2, and Yanks lose 14-8 but the potentially biggest development of the night was the return of Scott Williamson. He cam back and look good. He faced four batters, walked one and struck out one to finish out the game. He looked good, he had a nice breaking ball which is great to see considering he was out with an elbow/forearm injury. If he can give us anything close to what he did in the begining of the year that would be fantastic for the Sox chances in the post season. On the funny side, was anybody watching the channel 38 broadcast of this game? Jerry Remy had a bit of speaking blunder in the late innings trying to say something about Ichiro's "hitting" streak. That wasn't quite what he said, and Sean McDonough kidded him about Ichiro maybe having to much fiber in his diet. Ok, maybe it's not that funny, but it made me laugh pretty hard when it happened.

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nahh.. I would rather beat them for the division and watch the fire sale and head choppings within the Yankee Organization. It would be fun to watch.

5. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, but Randy Johnson, Albert Pujols, and Larry Walker in pinstripes wouldn't.

6. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

Okay 3 1/2 down, the exact amount they were down last season headed into the Bronx in September. Last year's series featured two Sox blowouts followed by a 3-1 loss in a Wells gem; Suppan actually pitched well that afternoon.

I don't know what to expect this weekend. El Duque's been a relevation, but he hasn't faced the Sox yet. I like our chances on Sat. vs Lieber and Sun. with Pedro vs. Moose (I'm waiting until he throws a good game against someone but TB and KC before I say he's back pitching well). I figure the Sox need 5 of these 6 to have a shot at the division.

Which leads me to, are they better off playing well down the stretch but getting the Wild Card? I think they'll beat Anaheim or Oakland in Round One. The Twins OTOH, can and will beat NY IMHO. I dunno, but I'm thinking it's better to play the Twins in a 7 game series, where you'll likely get Santana/Radke 4 of 7 instead of 4 of 5. The other side of me wants to beat NY in the worst way though.

Finally Prof, there is ZERO change Pujols and Walker go anywhere. And I really think it'll be same old same old with Johnson, NY doesn't have enough to get him.

7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

Forget I posted most of that. Didn't realize how close, if not better, the Twins record is to OAK / ANH. Make it, I'd prefer to see MIN later rather than sooner and beat NY a bit.

8. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

WOW! All I can say is, wow! These types of games almost always go the other way.

9. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Red Sox win..ddduuuuuuuuhhhhhhh Red Sox Win...

Rivara is our bitch.

10. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was particularly pleasant to watch.

11. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA

I've watched Manny's catch about ten times. Unreal. I can't wait for 1:00!

12. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

Yeah, that was an AMAZING catch. Usually, Manny's defense + highlight reel spells disaster.

13. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Derek Lowe sucks.

Terry Adams sucks.

That is all.

14. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

I've heard. What can you do? Hope for a win tomorrow, which I think they'll get, and a sweep at Fenway. This has been an odd series, it's usually the Sox that win the blowouts.

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

Another blowout (9-1 in the 7th). That pretty much ends the division race, barring a miracle. Now I'm hoping that the A's finish with a better record than the Twins because the Twins should beat anyone in a five game series with Santana pitching two.

16. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

I still can't believe he turned down $27M for three years. No way he gets that next year.

17. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, but Matt Clement will. Or Carl Pavano.

18. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

********. This sucks. How the ******** do you get your asses handed to you twice in the biggest games of the season. Oh well, time to at least get on the right track headed to the playoffs. For next year, at least for now, Pavano is saying he wants to stay with the Marlins. But that doesn't matter right now, it's time to pick up the pieces and play some good ball.

19. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

Another Wakefield gem. Sheesh!

20. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

********. Can't even take advantage of a NY loss. You won't get another one of those all week. Even a sweep at Fenway won't help now.

21. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He needs to have another of those occasional heart-to-hearts with Phil Niekro. It's obvious his knuckler isn't knuckling enough.

A week ago, I was looking at schedule comparisons for the Red Sox and Yankees, including records so far against the teams they would play. If both teams played to form against the other teams and the Sox took 4 of the 6 against the Yankees, I believe that would leave the teams in a tie at the end. So far, that pattern is still possible, but it would require a sweep at Fenway.

22. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

8 NY wins plus Boston losses gives them the division title. Even with a sweep, we'll need help from Toronto and Minny. Tonight was good to see though.

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

Except for Schilling not getting the win. BTW, the "win" stat is one of the most idiotic in all of sports (after the "save"). Schilling pitches 8 scoreless innings, while Foulke fvcks up bigtime and gets the win. Ridiculous!

24. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA

jorge julio sucks...that's all

25. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah I had meant to say something about that in the "Little things that bother you about baseball" thread. The win stat is completely outdated, and not really that indicative of how well a guy pitches.