Boston Hibernian Expansion Candidate

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Chowderhead, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Reliable sources have indicated that a group of Massachuestts businessmen and community leaders are seeking an MLS franchise to play in Boston. Among those involved are Fleet CEO Terry Murray, developer Thomas Flatley and former Boston College president, Rev. Donald Monan, SJ.

The group insists that MLS give the team the right to sign any player in the United States with an Irish last name. "Chivas can have Jorge Salcedo and Orlando Perez. We'll take Donovan and O'Brien", says Monan.

The group is also committed to building a soccer-specific stadium for the team in one of Boston's traditionally ethnic Irish neighborhoods. Says Murray, "Given the example set by Chivas USA, we felt it important to ghettoize our team. West Roxbury is a real lace-curtain area, so that's out. We would really like for away supporters to have to deal with the maze of triple-deckers that can be found in either Southie, Dorchester or Charlestown. We're leaning toward Southie what with its many abandoned factories, rough bars and tribalistic residents. It's also a peninsula so away supporters will have limited escape routes."

Why an all Irish-American team? Flatley explains: "We were all brought up thinking that assimilation was an inevitable and desirable part of the second and third generation experience. But the success of the Chivas USA model has shown us that we and those who taught us were all wrong. Given the prevailing wisdom of multiculturalists, we felt that after all the battles we fought to be accepted, after decades of being assimilated and finally respected, we'd chuck it all and recede into our ethnicity. The goal is to create a wall of suspicion around us. That would be great for our mystique. And if we are successful in our approach, we hope that we can be resented. And why wouldn't we be? But rejecting the society that accepted us can only bring us benefits. Hostility directed toward us can be tremendously unifying and nothing can be so defining and identifying as an experience in persecution. We can't wait. "

But what about the already existing MLS team in the Boston market, the New England Revolution? Says Murray, "Well, if Mr. Vergara can consider encroaching on the LA Galaxy's turf, why can't we sniff around the Revs' turf? And we see them as potential rivals. They can represent soulless, assimilated suburbia, what with its quiet, tolerant, harmonious neighborhoods and schools. We'll represent the rage of those who have suddenly realized that they have waisted their time fitting in and climbing the ladder."

The group hopes to see its team take the field in in 2004. "We're hoping that Whitey Bulger can sneak in for a guest appearance and kick out the first ball."

2. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    The Boston Shamrock Rovers live again!!!

Look out. Now, the west side of Toronto might want to put together an all Italian team (Falcons)for MLS!
    But maybe the Croatians (Metros) will beat them to it.

Now see what you've started, Mr. Garber?

3. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    This is an excellent post and exactly why the idea presented by Chivas needs to be stopped. For so long our society has struggled to assimilate different cultures. What troubles me is this guy is not even American. Either he is completely ignorant of our cultural heritage or worse yet nothing more than a wealthy tycoon who cares little about his responsibility to the larger society as a whole. Although our society is not perfect when it comes to race relations, this is definitely a step backwards. Why in the world would MLS create a team based on ethnicity? I don’t want to see the problems the rest of the world faces when it comes to ethnic divisions. The idea of supporting a team solely because you identify with a particular ethnic group is completely un-American.

Some of the supporters of this plan have stated Chivas USA will be an instant hit and be very profitable. These supporters have indicated that Mexicans and Americans of Mexican descent will flock to support this team. I find this to be extremely troubling. If you only support a team because of the ethnic makeup, then what kind of fans do we really have here?

Chivas USA does a disservice to MLS, the fans and Americans of all ethnic backgrounds especially Americans of Mexican descent. As far as I am concerned, Vagera can take his pesos and make Mexico a better place.

4. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aww man, i was hoping we'd get a derby up here.

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    This team needs to be called "Boondock Saints F.C."

Sachin

6. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Will Gaelic be the the teams official language?

7. dcunited81

dcunited81 Member

Jul 18, 2001
    Green Bay, WI
    Man, this is probably the single best post I've ever seen on this site!!! I couldn't stop laughing. Chowderhead, you should be proud of yourself, congrats.

8. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hands down thread of the year.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I really like this idea..... I hope it happens... :)

10. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Gee, I didn't realize the economic clout exercised by Irish Americans. I guess I just assumed that they were a minor fraction of Americans for whom soccer is the 5th most popular sport.

I didn't realize that they outnumbered US Mexicans, who number 20 million plus. I guess I just assumed that US Latinos watch a heck of a lot more soccer than Irish Americans and paid FIFA $150 million for rights to WC between 2002-2006, whereas SUM paid $40 million. I didn't realize that Irish Americans paid more and hence merrit such a commercial endeavor so bold.

the thing is, ppl, no other ethnic group is comparable to Mexicans. Their sheer #s warrant a different strategy to get them into the stadium. LA has close to 6 MILLION Mexicans, and about 1 million Guatemalans, Salvoreans and Hondurans. Yet, the LA Galaxy gets roughly the same amount of Mexicans in the gate as they do Central Americans.

Let me break it down for you: LA Galaxy is failing to reach 5 million ppl from the same group. It's not like NY/NJ that has to reach 5 million ppl from all 5 continents.

11. dcunited81

dcunited81 Member

Jul 18, 2001
    Green Bay, WI
    Hey dude, I think you are failing to get the point of the original post here!! He was making a satirical statement about how dumb it would be to bend over backwards and change everything about the league just for one team, I think you need to lighten up!! Plus, I think you'd be suprised at the number of Irish American people in the country, ever heard of a little thing called St. Patrick's Day? You should try it sometime(now that was a joke, in case you weren't going to get it) :)

12. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    DCUnited81, I think Carlos got the point very well and countered very well. Chivas USA is a smart business decision. I think some of you are blowing the perceived social impact out of all proportion.

13. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You didn't realize that? You should, since, of course, they do. Irish Americans number in the 33 million range compared to the 21 million range for Mexican Americans.

Also, German-Americans number in the 43 million range, so he could just as easily wrote the article as "Bayern Milwaukee" instead. There is one state among the 50 where Mexican is the leading ancestry group (California). There are 30 states in the union where German is the leading ancestry group.

14. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Re: Re: Boston Hibernian Expansion Candidate

I have!

Every Saint Patricks Day I make sure to watch the movie "One Man's Hero" in honor of:

The San Patricios - Mexico's Fighting Irish

[​IMG]

15. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Yeah, but neither Irish Americans nor German Americans care for soccer any more than Mayflower descendants.

16. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think that maybe that might be that these Mexicans already have a soccer league they follow regularly?

How exactly would you convince these people to stop following the MFL and start following MLS?

I don't think there's much of a Mexican-American market right now for MLS. The MFL dominates it and will do so for the forseeable future.

You talk as if MLS has never tried to market to the Mexican fan base. MLS has done so relentlessly since its inception and they are simply not interested. Other latino communities have supported the league fairly well, so I don't think you can pin the blame on ignoring latinos. I think the blame lies simply with too much competition from the MFL, and that's a battle MLS can't win right now.

17. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Who says they have to stop following the MFL? Is it not possible to follow two leagues at once? I don't think there's any question that Chivas USA would get Mexican Americans to pay more attention to MLS than is currently the case, is there? I don't think average league attendance is going to increase by 10,000 a game overnight, but Mexican Americans will by definition have to start following MLS if they pay any attention at all to Chivas USA.

18. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think over the long haul that remains to be seen. Particularly if Vergara's desire to fill the squad with Hispanic players causes them to get the Dallas Burn treatment for a few years. Vergara might decide it ain't working and bail. And then all we'd have left is yet another failed attempt to cater to the elusive Mexican Soccer market.

I have zero problem with Chivas USA, and I even kind of like it. But at some point MLS has to play hard ball and tell them that enough is enough. "There's a set of rules follow them, and no you can't move into the Galaxy's back yard." If Chivas wants an MLS team, welcome aboard. But if they're looking for a way to come the closest they're allowed to come to fielding an MFL side in the USA (something they think is a cash cow but aren't allowed to do it), then I don't like the sound of it.

19. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    In order to get Mexicans in the gate, the league has to reach and surpass MFL. When Central Americans realized that MLS is better than their domestic leagues, they've stuck around.

But at the same time, there has to be something to get interest back up in the league. I was at the 1st LA Galaxy game. There were a lot more Mexicans there than there are now (%). i think the lower level drove ppl away. but Chivas has name recognition and is getting a ton of free publicity.

What MLS offers is seeing an event LIVE. Cheering, yelling and screaming is so much better at a stadium, especially the newer stadias that enhance this experience. MLS needs to nurture the cheering sections.

(i got the joke, btw)

20. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    An overt bump.

The original thread, telling quotes and all.

21. gswitatrophy

gswitatrophy Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Tillamook, Oregon
    this is such a great idea to copy chivas usa's awsome model!!! the fire is picking up all poles i hear. it will be like a mini world cup every f'ing weekend!! i love the idea of racist single minded owners and ownership groups!!!

22. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    My sources have informed me that the final hurdle has been crossed.

A runner for Whitey has given Bob Kraft a paper bag full of hundreds and now Kraft has given his OK.

Expect an announcement from MLS in the coming weeks.

That is a fact.

23. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't this team be located in Somerville rather than Southie?

24. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    That's an excellent question and you wanna know what? I'm glad you asked.

Sure, they considered The Ville. They also considered Rozzie, Brighton, The Town, Dot and Westie.

At the end of the day, it had to be Southie. And that's not meant with any disrespect to anyone.

Consider Southie's proximity to the Southeast Expressway. Not only does that make for easier access but it can get the home support coming up from the South Shore going with a little pre-game Irish Nascar.

Beyond that, if you're an away supporter and start any crap, there's only really one or two ways out.

It's also important to keep the thing within city limits for obvious reasons. Any zoning, parking or permit problems can be dealt with swiftly. Liquor licenses and all that will be a cinch. Places like Triple O's, always stand-up people, stand to benefit. Imagine how happy the cops will be with all the overtime.

Somerville, unlike the rest of the candidates, is it's own city, apart from Boston. I'm not saying that they wouldn't cooperate but why not keep things simple?

Southie also has the foggy nights and the jumbo jets landing at Logan to provide the pastoral atmosphere that we seek.

I am hearing that they may play some friendlies at Dilboy Field in The Ville.

25. brainer97

brainer97 New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    SACRAMENTO
    I heard that there is a group interested in Arkansas but the only requirment will be that you're white and your wife and sister have to be the same person. possible names: Squealing pigs, dualing banjos, deliverence F.C.