News: Boston Globe: Man U to be the All-Star opponent

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CACuzcatlan, Mar 18, 2011.

1. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i am sort of surprised that Man Utd is coming back to the US so soon. usually they have to spread their preseason tours out across many markets that are profitable for them. i figured this summer would be an asian tour.

4. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man U is playing an exhibition against the Revolution as well.

5. revsfan444

revsfan444 Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Page 1

But hopefully this year the all-stars will redeem themselves

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    July 27 is once again at the same time as the CONCACAF Champions League preliminary round 1st leg. Two U.S. based MLS teams will be playing in that round and potentially a Canadian based MLS team.

I understand the constraints but it's too bad the league can't avoid that conflict.

7. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    As someone noted, last year it was a World Cup year and many of the stars were rested and younger, hungrier Man U players were playing trying to prove themselves to the team. Since this year the veterans will probably get a longer run out and care less about the outcome, the game should be more competitive.

8. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Snore.....

9. Mucky

Mucky Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Manchester England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hmm, surprised MLS would want the same team back and/or that Man Utd would not be in a different continent.
    Maybe they figure on hyping it as a revenge mission for the All Stars.
    As for Man Utd, they obviously consider there is still a large market to be tapped in the US.

10. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointed to see Man U be the opponent again. No surprise to see them back in the US touring, but I think it would have been more interesting to see a different team for the opponent. Off hand, why not Barca since they are touring the US and have a working relationship with SUM?

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Oh boy! All-Star Lame news ...

12. Saub

Saub Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was hoping it would be Arsenal or someone else the all stars haven't played yet =\

13. dodgers323

dodgers323 Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's because ManU just plainly needs the money. They'll probably get a cool million from each match. $4million for a preseason tour? I'd take it. And as for MLS, how can you say NO to ManU?

14. kazakal28

kazakal28 Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Weymouth
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn my Arsenal hopes and dreams dashed. This was supposed to be their first summer in the US

15. RevolutionFan

RevolutionFan New Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Warwick, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be completely honest im suprised Liverpool isnt coming over to play the Revs. With NESV's acquisition of Liverpool i thought it was a shoo-in for at least Football At Fenway

16. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not expect NESV and the Krafts to work together in any way. They see each other as competition, even in Soccer. Liverpool will inevitably come to Boston and play in Fenway but you will not see them play the Revs or play at Gillette.
    Just my two cents.

17. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again ? Lol

18. jinx_htx

jinx_htx Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Chicharito!!!

19. cparistat

cparistat Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Blegh. Maybe it's just me, but after seeing such an excellent opening week in MLS (in terms of quality of play and audience attendance), do we really need these All-Star games to promote the game here?? I'm feeling underwhelmed.

20. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's more to get Eurosnobs and mainstream sports media (both here and abroad) to watch MLS. Some don't even pay attention to First Kick or MLS Cup, so the ASG against an international opponent is a big opportunity to reach them.

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    And for the most part, these games are fun and well attended. So if you are not excited then... too bad I guess.

NOTE: not intended to be directly at you CACuzcatlan.

22. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Man U fan and I think that playing them two years in a row is dumb. With all the teams around the globe,couldn't MLS find a different team to play this year.

Bad move MLS front office.

23. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why couldn't MLS line up,Arsenal,Bolton,Liverpool,Man City,Newcastle,Rangers,Bayern Munich,Hamburg SV,AC Milan,Inter Milan,Roma,Lazio,Olympic Lyon,PSG,Real Madrid,Barcelona,Espanyol,Sporting Lisbon,Porto,Basel,Spartak Moscow,Club America,Nexaca,Melbourne Victory,Hearts,Hibernian,etc.

Don't play the same team two years in a row.

24. jinx_htx

jinx_htx Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    One reason. Chicharito. Javier Hernandez is the biggest player in football right now. He's sitting on 16 goals so far this year and Man U is set to win the EPL and seem to have a very good chance at winning Champion's League also. It simply doesn't get any bigger than that.

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Hernandez's 16 goals make him the biggest player in football over Messi and Ronaldo both set to score over 40 goals this calendar year? Somehow I don't think so.

Chicharito is a superb player, and doesn't need hyperbole to describe his achievements.