Boston College to ACC

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by michelobultra, Oct 11, 2003.

1. michelobultra

michelobultra New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Published: October 11, 2003

Boston College will agree to leave the Big East Conference to become the 12th member of the Atlantic Coast Conference when an official invitation is offered tomorrow, an A.C.C. university official said yesterday.

The presidents of the 11 A.C.C. universities will hold a conference call tomorrow to vote, and Boston College is expected to be overwhelmingly approved. Boston College will immediately accept, the university official said
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/11/sports/11ACC.html

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Even though BC is struggling a bit this year, it makes the ACC an even tougher soccer conference.

The Eagles swept the Big East last year, winning the reg. season and tourney and they have been a handful for powers like UConn, St. John's and Seton Hall for years and have gotten their share of wins.

They'll come into the conferenc competitive.
    It's a long road trip to make but it's still good for the conference. It also means BC has a LOT of long trips to make for conferenc games. To cut down on travel costs, you'll probably see a lot of midweek conference games involving BC with, for example, them playing Duke midweek and State on the weekend.

One question this raises is about the ACC Tournament. With Tech on board, there were eight soccer programs which made the Tourney fairly obvious. How do they work the Tourney with nine teams.

Does 8 face 9 in a play-in? Does the ninth place team not make the tourney? Or, something else?

3. michelobultra

michelobultra New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    With the current 7 team format, the regular season champion gets a 1st round bye in the tourney while 2nd place plays 7th, 3rd plays 6th, and 4th plays 5th. I would imagine in the new 9 team format, the regular season champ would again receive a first round bye, while 2nd place plays 9th, 3rd vs. 8th, 4th vs. 7th, and 5th vs. 6th.

4. collegesoccerfan#1

collegesoccerfan#1 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    ????

But where do you go from there? You still have 5 teams alive .... I think you either have a play-in game with 8 v 9, or #9 doesn't make the tournament.

5. KR

KR New Member

Jan 5, 2000
    .500 team this year at best

With today's loss, BC is just a .500 team this year with their toughest Big East games ahead of them. Unless BC can upset nationally ranked teams like St. John's, Rutgers and Seton Hall, they may not make the BE playoffs.

Having seen BC play, I am somewhat perplexed by the poor record. They seem very talented and out play teams for long stretches but have troubles getting the ball in the net. Maybe the ACC membership will help them to recruit.

6. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
  7. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beez, great article.

Charlie is the real deal. He's got one of the quickest first steps I've seen and he can finish from anywhere. It would not surprise me at all if Davies makes it into the pro ranks.

I think his partner Fucito will be a terrific college player as well.

I am not sold on the Brooks keeper. Big and intimidating but he needs to work on his footwork, especially on low shots.

One other Brooks player to keep you eye on is their center mid - Carroll. He's a true # 10 with the ball skills and vision to deliver the final pass. Doesn't seem to have much of a scoring touch himself.

8. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh and Beez, do you think there is another high school team in the country as good as Brooks ? Maybe St. Benedicts in NJ but Brooks has three regional/national team players at CM and both strikers with three other kids on the team who are on or have been on the state team.

9. old boy

old boy New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Maine
    Davies is the real deal, but he's not physically ready for the pros just yet. I thought their keeper was a little raw. He does have the physical tools, though. A friend who refs in Jersey said he thought Brooks might be better than St. B, but with the level of competition (he thinks Jersey is better) it's hard to tell. He says he'd pay to see the two face off, which is saying something Because he's cheap as hell!

10. old boy

old boy New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Maine
    I understand Brooks has already lost a game, so at least someone is better.

11. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Last year, Brooks might have been even better (they had an excellent midfielder named Brodie MacDearmid), but they lost in the ISL semifinals to Loomis. They lost to Worcester Academy to start this season. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better striker tandem in New England (and maybe the country, who knows?), and Carroll is quite promising, but I'd be cautious about calling Brooks a national powerhouse.