Boston Breakers

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by hocho, Apr 3, 2007.

1. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a lot of respect for both Peter and Joe, and hope you are spot on about the first trophy :D (Wilt does have kind of a strong record in that regard however........)

Overall, I still give Breakers management kudos for the way they are handling things.... all I really have to compare it to is the Revs... it took them years to realize some of the stuff the Breakers are doing well... and I don't think I have to tell that to a couple of Riders do I? Oh, and the other thing I can compare it was $100+ for Springsteen plus $40 to park (in P10)....

Both or your points are well taken and I don't entirely disagree with the criticism, just its degree!

2. BOrr

BOrr New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    I should pull a Clark W Griswold then....

3. breakersgirl

breakersgirl New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    In response to the "2 Bad Marks"...

(1)
    The Breakers didn't hold a game-watch, true, but honestly how many people were going to ditch work to drive into the Boston area at 9am on a Thursday for the game? Instead, they chose to incorporate Coach Tony online for game chats and get the discussions going. I think it was a better decision, that way people across Breakers nation (at work and at home) were able to interact and enjoy the big win together.

(2)
    P10 was the only option given to the Breakers in order to accommodate over 500 fans, grills and tents. I agree it isn't the most convenient location - but it's what we've got and I think we can all work with it.

Love the passion of fellow fans, but ease up on the "bad marks" accusations. We've gotta support this thing, not tear it down before it starts!

4. BOrr

BOrr New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Agreed!!!

You sound like an insider?? Work in the office perhaps?

5. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (1) The two Riders who either don't work or work nights or took the day off to watch the game would have come...... if there that many people interested, I am sure that the Riptide or other devoted USWNT/Breakers fans would have had the skill to pull something together, guess there wasn't enough interest and initiative?

(2) It is not convenient by VIP lot standards, but not an inconvenient location either.... it is one of the only non-VIP tailgating lots anyway. If I wasn't part of the Breakers tailgate, I would probably be one the STH's bitching that jammed "my" lot with 500 extra people.

I'll take the free tickets and free food in a heartbeat over a viewing party... this is a great gesture and great idea to start pulling people together.

6. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Love the debate. We discussed a gold medal viewing party. Ultimately, you will see us focus our efforts on things we think we can execute well. Chicago put a lot of elbow grease into building up their USWNT viewings and it paid off - they got a great turnout for the gold medal game. We've put ours into the outing this Saturday, which will be the largest gathering of WPS fans to date anywhere in the country.

The interest we perceived in hosting a 9 AM event on a weekday morning on three days notice for fans spread over six states was tiny. If we were wrong about that, it's a blown opportunity but also a good learning experience that the enthusiasm level out there is even stronger than we might realize.

The Breakers are going to be a funky comparison against other WPS clubs if you try to go apples to apples. The stadium, the people, the philosophies - all unique and lend themselves to different strengths than those of a Chicago, NY/NJ or Washington. Of course, it's still fun to do and that's what the boards are great for. The best place to compare will be on the table at the end of the next summer, as SocFanDan pointed out.

7. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    And as far as BreakersGirl...she seems like she has sound instincts, but I am pretty sure she doesn't work for us!

8. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe she should :)

9. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    We are a tough crowd, as we should be. Fans should have high expectations for their team, and, given the Breakers' previous WUSA experience to draw from and their head start on a lot of other teams, there's nothing wrong with its fans expecting the Breakers to lead the way.

I'm not upset about the tailgate location - I see how Patriots Place gives us few other options. I am a bit upset about the viewing party, not because it didn't happen, but because we were told it would. Had I known earlier that the viewing party was just a possibility rather than a definite (should the US make the final), the Riptide would have tried to organize something on our own. I understand why the decision was made to not hold a viewing party - 9am on a Thursday is not the most convenient time - but that time was known when it was announced that there would be a viewing.

That said, your biggest fans should be your harshest critics. And, given that many Breakers fans are also Revs fans, we don't like it when Chicago does anything better than us :) . We expect great things. Like Saturday's tailgate... that should be a great time.

10. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree

This statement is why this league will succeed!!

I'm friends with one of the owners/pertners and this is his philosophy as well...

11. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harshest critics? How about being the most constructive and insightful critics? At this point in the Breakers and WPS development, seems like productive support of the glass half full is what is called for. And the Breakers staff and management has been more than open and receptive to feedback when offered.

And of course we don't want to be outdone by Chicago or anyone else for that matter, Revs fans or not!

12. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Maybe "harshest" isn't the best word, but you know what I mean. High expectations are a good thing - it shows that your fans believe you to be capable of great things.

So, who will be at the tailgate Saturday?

13. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, high expectations are a good thing, (especially on the field!) and I think that the Breakers staff shares them. I just don't want to see us jumping on what I personally view as nitpiky criticisms this early in the game.

I'll be there Saturday with 7 other family/friends.

14. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we wouldn't have had as many show if the match was played at noon on Saturday, I think you underestimate the number that would have shown! BTW, I do work but had the day(and Friday) off as we were driving to Toronto for the weekend...

As Jackie said, it was conveyed to us a month or so ago that the Breakers were going to hold a viewing should they make the gold medal match and it was on their website as late as Wednesday night...At some point last week it was decided to scrap the viewing...I didn't notice that on the website???

If we were told the Breakers had scrapped their plans to hold the viewing we would have done our best to get something set up...Regardless of how many people showed up. IMO and in Andy's words, I believe this was a "blown opportunity" but we move on...Peter can have his viewing parties, I'll take that first WPS Cup!:D

I agree that it's a great gesture, and thanked Andy for it personally! It was a great idea for sure! Furthermore, I'll congratualte them for a great event on Saturday because I know now that it'll be done right!

However, I disagree that it was an either/or situation. I don't know how much "elbow grease" Peter put in out in Chicago? IMO the only advantage Peter had in this situation is a very good relationship with the Globe Pub from his days with the Fire...While it's a big advantage, it's hardly insurmountable..

And as Andy said, love the debate!:p

15. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    Me!!

16. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were to nitpik, its that the Breakers and WPS websites are substandard. I don't consider them timely, reliable or particularly easy to navigate, which is a disappointment for a league pinning its hopes on new wave and grassroots marketing (nothing I haven't told the Breakers, btw, probably repeatedly lol). So in spite of checking it daily and keeping up with these boards and the ning site, I had no clue anything was planned, therefore wasn't disappointed ;)

I agree it doesn't seem like it should have been a big deal, but planning an event for an unknown number of people coming from who knows where for game that might happen would have been ugly... but you shouldn't have been led to believe it was going to happen.

The time for judgement will be next summer. I'll take the Cup above all else as well, but after suffering through the first two Breakers seasons watching one of the strongest squads on paper be woefully mismanaged to mediocrity I will reserve judgement and keep my expectations managable.

17. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    That's why I try to restrict my memories to the 2003 season. That team played some great soccer.

18. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did, and that gives me great hope for 2009!

19. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I work as well. Not everyone works 9-5 (or 5am til 2). It just so happened that I had the time available that day. Past is the past though and the week of September 15 cant come soon enough. :)

20. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you and RF1 were not offended, I didn't intend that! Also, I acknowledged you may have taken the day off (like I did!) or work a different shift... I picked you out cuz you are the only two I heard mention a viewing party......

Now, what USWNT players do the Breakers want, and which ones want the Breakers? Article from USA Today on the WPS site makes it very clear Markgraf wants Chicago, Boxx is all about LA... Hucles is the only one quoted who mentions Boston.

21. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take an in-form Angie.

22. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hucles, presumably Lilly, and....???? Another veteran or one the younger players with upside?

23. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, there's no way Lilly should or will be considered a NT allocation player....

24. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your point but I bet she is... she is still in the USWNT pool as of now, just on leave. If Boston wants her, I would make sure she counted as an allocation if I am one of the other 6 franchises. And I think it would difficult to argue against her being at least considered for the top 21 now.

There were some pretty sketchy "allocations" when WUSA started (past their prime or marginally skilled) to make the numbers work and keep the players happy. There were some sketchy ones when MLS started for that matter.
    Maybe this will be way different......

25. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were selecting this team with the thought that it was going to fail inside of three years then Lilly would definitely be one of my picks....

With the thought that this league just might survive...the one or two years she has left would keep her out of my top 21 for sure...

And for the record Kristine Lilly IMO is the greatest female soccer player to ever play the game...And I want more than anything to have her with this young team for a year or two....Then I'd love and expect her to join the coaching staff and be a part of the team going forward...