Boston Breakers

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by hocho, Apr 3, 2007.

1. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the WUSA allocations based on teh league failing after 3 years either lol.....

And even two years of Lilly as the veteran leader on the field would be worth the pick. There are more than a few 30-somethings on the current USWNT, you could make that argument about most any of them.

For the future? Lilly=Coach= YES YES YES

Some of the WUSA allocations were never even starters for their teams, and some were gone due to age or simple lack of skills even before WUSA folded.

One of the Breakers WUSA allocations was Tracy Ducar. She never had a direct meanigful impact on games when looked at over the 3 years, but was a clubhouse leader and had a tremendous local following due to her North Andover roots. She was agreat allocation for the business but they didn't need her to be one of the starting XI.

2. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those allocations were stupid.....based on the 99 WC team being "founding members" basically stealing money from the league....

Luckily for us the new business plan is much more sound...

Maybe Andy can provide some insight to us on Saturday about the ranking procedure that the teams have put on players??

3. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    I've asked a few times if Lilly will be involved in the allocation process, though not in recent weeks, and the answer was always "we don't know yet." Hopefully we'll be able to get some insight on Saturday. For selfish reasons, I'd rather her not be included, but rational arguments could be made either way.

I think Tracy Ducar would have had more on-the-field impact had she not gotten injured, but I agree that she was a good allocation regardless. She's one of the classiest people in women's soccer, and it's always nice to have someone with local roots on your team.

I expect Hucles in Boston, and as far as I know, she's the only one who has publicly revealed Boston as her #1. After that, I have no idea.

4. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to keep referring back to WUSA but it still seems like the most valid point of reference. I am not sure what impact any of the allocated players had in terms of on-field performance and results, the selection and allocation of the non-USWNT players had much more to do with it.

The Breakers issues were never at the GK position at least that I can recall. I love Tracy and all she brought, but had she been the starter I don't think we would have seen any different results than we did with LeBlanc in there.

Hucles and Lily and someone born after 1983 please. And a great draft.

5. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liily news:

http://www.acorn-online.com/joomla1...ng-role-mom&catid=66:wilton-sports&Itemid=125

"But the Breakers will return for the inaugural WPS season, and Lilly is hoping to be allocated to the Boston franchise, which is close to her home in Brookline, Mass. She is also open to the possibility of returning to the national team.

“I would love to get a call-up,” she said. “But I’m not sure what Pia’s plans are. We’ll have to see.”

6. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there were a few players among the Founders who made a difference, particularly if you count the ones added to fill out the allocated players to an even 24. Scurry anchored the Atlanta defense. LaKeysia Beene almost singlehandedly got the CyberRays to the first Founders Cup, Siri Mullinix and Mia Hamm were huge for the Freedom (though Mia only after she recovered from her knee surgery), and you folks in Boston had solid players in Lilly and Sobrero. But, yes, the ones who really made the teams successful were the foreigners and the non-Founders who really stepped up.

7. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess my point was that whoever gets allocated to whatever team, for the most part they are getting quality players, but the other 15 roster spots will have a greater overall impact on the team's success. Everyone needs leadership and skill and a name to market but you gotta put 11 players on the field.

Lilly was good, but much better when she and Meinert and Mellgren jelled... what I remember most about Kate was how often she looked pretty ordinary when not surrounded by other world-class defenders... what I remember most about the Freedom on the field was Wamabch, not Mia... and while Scurry anchored Atlanta, Hooper was the engine and attitude of that team. The Charge got kind of stiffed when it came to the initial allocation but ended up being a strong side.

Finding the right complimentary players to whoever is allocated to the team whether USWNT or foreign will be the really interesting part of this process to me anyway.

8. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, no matter who they are, it's still only three players. A team could get Wambach, Chalupny, and Solo and still be a lousy team if they don't have the internationals and drafted players to support them. And arguably the best thing about WUSA was how it gave less-heralded players a chance to show what they were made of, Wambach among them. As you say, that's something to look forward to - who'll be the next Erica Iverson, Carrie Moore, or Shannon Boxx?

9. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone that is going to the Revs-Galaxy game make a Breakers 2009 banner? I think it would be highly appropriate. (I don't have the required skill).

10. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's a beautiful day when we can finally get together and support the teams start up again. I hope every girls team be it rec, travel or club makes the trip to the Harvard Stadium as their season outing. :)

11. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    Meinert6 - nice to meet you last night!

Good turnout at the Breakers tailgate!!

Good crowd at Gillette....frustrating to watch I must say but not from a soccer perspective. The activity in the stands is crazy...people up and down all the time. Always seem to have someone standing in your way.

12. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see the entire stadium standing for the Rev all game long.

And for the Breakers, too!

13. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Nice to meet you too! It was great to meet and chat with a lot of Breakers fans - it just made me all the more eager for 2009. I also got some news/clarification: Kristine Lilly will be in the allocation pool, along with 30 other players (and the coaches are asking that a few more be added). The list includes everyone contracted by US Soccer in 2008, plus a few more players. 21 of them will be allocated, and the remaining players will go into the draft.

14. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [youtube]lR1o23nYr18[/youtube]

A bit of the old Breakers and a nod to the new Breakers.

15. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    Woohoo! I'm ready. So, what's the plan for opening day? Tailgate or pregame pub?

:)

16. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No pub really within stumbling distance.

Harvard Square is about 3/4 of a mile with lots of good spots.

Sports Depot and other spots in Allston/Brighton are over a mile.

That said, I'd be up for a pub before the tailgate. :D

17. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090107005439&newsLang=en

[​IMG]

Center Circle Live at the NSCAA Convention, Presented by Kwik Goal: The Future of Domestic Soccer

In Addition to a Distinguished Panel of Guests, Fox Soccer Channel will Host Important Announcements from the National Soccer Hall of Fame and WPS on January 15

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--For the third consecutive year, Fox Soccer Channel will televise a live, two-hour show from the annual National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Convention.

From 8-10:00 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 15, Center Circle Live at the NSCAA Convention, Presented by Kwik Goal will feature a distinguished panel of guests in St. Louis, Mo., for a discussion on the future of soccer in the United States. In addition, the telecast will serve as a live platform for two highly anticipated announcements – the unveiling of the National Soccer Hall of Fame 2009 Induction Class, and the Boston Breakers’ No. 1 overall pick in the inaugural Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) Draft.

I look forward to hearing Amy Rodriguez' thoughts on moving to Boston!

:D

18. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually Harvard Sq is about 1/4 mile. Later this week I will be completing a list of nearby pubs and eateries that would be fan friendly and wallet friendly.
    Dave

19. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    We can publish it on the Riptide website

20. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Definitely - great idea. It would be even better if we could find a place willing to televise away games (if/when away games are televised)