Boston Breakers vs FC Safari - 04/05/09

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by REVS FAN 1, Mar 31, 2009.

1. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DAMN! Grabbing an opponent's throat and getting into a scuffle!! Kelly Smith was born to play hockey but even hockey players don't go grabbing throats!

She will be an interesting one to watch for sure.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is the first official game but at times, particularly in the 1st half, it seemed like the Breakers players were just meeting for the first time. Many, many, many passes went to the other team or to places w/ no one. Runs either weren't made or were made but not seen/expected by the player w/ the ball. It was the Pride's 1st game, too, but they didn't look nearly as disjointed, to me.

Also, they had a lot of trouble adjusting to defensively cover the wings. The outside backs got caught forward. The 'outside' mids were pinched in too far. Mitts was on the left and maybe the change of side made a bigger impact on her than one assumes it would.

I'm not sure I saw Latham run, except on that one 'break away' that she should have done better w/ in the first half. Lots of walking there or the slow jog. It was like Boston was playing w/ 10 not 11. I would have sat her at 45' (if not before). Things improved once a sub was made. Hucles was also ineffective. Given the personnel on the field, she either needs to be a wide player (and stay wide) or figure out how to be a dmid. One could say the same for Drew.

Of course, part the problem may be the formation that was employed. It was hard for me to tell if Lilly was a forward or mid. The wide play seemed to be either forwards dropping back or the outside defenders--who would then not recover in time. Which brings me to the central defense.

The central tandem had to cover a lot for Scott(less) and Mitts(more) and made mistakes b/c of it but whose fault were those mistakes, then? Of course, both central defenders made their own special mistakes. LePeilbet frustrated me a lot b/c she'd make a really smooth play (or even a great one) and then do something stupid pretty quickly. I watched Aug-Gof less closely than LePeilbet but she doesn't seem to be able to clear the ball all that far and she's not so fast.

3. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well despite the month (ish) of pre-season, remember that Scott, Smith, Mitts, Hucles, and A-Rod were away with their respective national teams for the first part of it. I think that clearly showed in the game last night. I would like to know what the story is with Candace Chapman though.

4. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    2 solid chances and she shot into the GKs breadbasket

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least she ran. Unlike Latham. In the list of things for Breakers fans to worry about, I don't think ARod is in the top 5 or 6.

6. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top 5
    1. Will we play with 11 on Saturday? Moore, Latham.... :(
    2. Will Mitts/Scott continue to force our centerbacks to be over-exposed?
    3. How long will it take for Lilly to shake the rust off?
    4. Will the cabana boy come with another mojito for Tony?
    5. Is Luckenbill the answer?

7. angel3

angel3 New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    A lots of comments in this thread are right on. I just like to add, the Breakers have a lots of strikers but only 1 ball. No one to control the mid field and set up play.
    Being a striker, with the 1st priority to put the ball in goal, also brings some selffishness.
    There were at least 2 plays early on that could have resulted in easy scores.
    1) Smith tried a give and go with Lilly and had a clear path to goal but Lilly attempted a low percentage strike on goal herself which missed.
    2) A Rod had a 2 on 1 and hit the keeper instead of cutting the ball to Lilly streaking down the middle by herself.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    angel3, I noticed both of those plays, too. I chalked the Lilly/Smith missed combo up to unfamiliarity since it was early in the game. I also think most strikers take the shot ARod did. However, I agree that a pass in both situations would have been the 'better' play. For Boston's sake, I hope, when the team is firing on all cylinders, the players make those passes.

Mattymags, I'd put "learn to pass to teammates and see teammates' runs" as #2 on your list, pushing Luckenbill to #6.

9. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    I think Luckenbill played well and in fact made two outstanding saves, which is all you ask of a GK. Neither goal was her fault and she handled the wind in the second half well. To me, your outside backs were your downfall - they could not keep up with Arakawa, Weimer or super-sub Kandace Wilson.

10. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree she made a couple outstanding saves, and that the play of Mitts and Scott was a bigger issue, but there were many plays she looked indecisive or tentative.

11. karanicole

karanicole Member

Jun 28, 2005
    I think the problem was Moore. Couldn't make a pass to save her life. The ones she made were directly to Pride players. Tony needs to find a DCM and quick. Allowed pride to attack through the middle or at least gives them the impression that they can at will.

12. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    Sounds like the beginning to this old favorite:

[​IMG]

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    As a supporter of women's leagues, I support exposure of all kinds.:p

14. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Look again, Smith is the one being throttled not the throttler, she played for Arsenal and it is the Bolton player with her hand on Smith's throat. I did not notice her playing dirty and that includes the slide in the box that if anything Barnhart deserved a 'dangerous play' call for because she put herself into harms way after the slide was already initiated.

15. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, sorry about that. Either way she's one of the best there is and will be one to watch and she has that mean streak to her.

She did push off on Dew after the play.

16. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey now, that's Blackburn, not Bolton. We cut our ladies' team years ago. :(

EDIT: As an aside, Alex Scott's twitter mentions being very upset with how she played yesterday.

17. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My issue with Lucky is that her distribution pales in comparison to what I am used to. Having Matt Reis and Jussi Jaaskelainen as my clubs' keepers is rather a spoiled life.

18. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, i've got to imagine that's the sentiment going throughout the locker room..

Unfortunately for St. Louis....they're next.

:D

19. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I love Big Soccer (and stand corrected -- it was in the caption -- doh).

20. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    Regarding Smith and Barnhard collision: cleats were not up "they were a little raised" :D, not intentional. As Smith was attacking, she was been shielded by Buehler, she saw Barney coming and slid for the ball, which was ahead of her, but that was it.