Boston Breakers v. Philthy Independence - Super Semifinal

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by REVS FAN 1, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    The memorable moments: Naeher's save. LePeilbet working working working. Cheney's goal.

I'll leave the unmentionable moments unspoken until we hear from those who were at the game.

2. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every minute of the 2010 Breakers season.

3. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IDK where the inconclusive part comes in.....watch her hand shake after she slaps it in....

take a look at Seger checking out the AR, the middle and back to the AR, she couldn't believe it either...

They didn't celebrate the goal....they waited and celebrated the referee's error...

It's as terrible way to lose a match for sure....I'd have rathered A-Rod finish one of her open looks....penalties, hell even an own goal would have been better.

That said, I don't think either team played well enough to win...If Adams hadn't spiked the ball into the net they'd still be playing....

4. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
  5. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I've watched the replay a dozen times and no question in my mind that was a handball by Adams.

Her left arm clearly reacts to the impact. Also telling was the way Seger and Rodriquez shielded Adams after the "goal" and were clearly telling her something. I'm guessing it was along the lines of, "Just shut your mouth and act happy."

Here's a video link: http://bit.ly/bFLcwe

That was no goal celebration.

Oh well. The Hand of My God.

That's the game but it really bites.

6. disalex

disalex New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    This is the second year in a row Kari Seitz has made a bad call in the WPS finals and changed them completely. I don't care if she has a FIFA badge or not, she should not be refereeing any more WPS games. Plain and simple she blew it again.
    If they are silly enough to let her ref any Breakers home matches next year would anyone like to join me in a rousing round of "Kari Sucks"?

7. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course we'd join you. I bet Dicicco would too. :)

8. supermoo

supermoo New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree that she should not be reffing. She is horrible. So does Hope Solo - that was the ref she complained about in her "tweet-fest" she got busted for.

And yet, your (The Riptide's) tweet in response to Seitz's calls against Atlanta was "Dear Kari Seitz, for your hard work today we would like to extend an honorary membership in The RipTide."

Still willing to extend that honorary membership?

We all have a vested interest in having the best refs - or at least consistent - or in the absence of that, at least not egomaniacs who take pride in making controversial calls. That requires being able to have some level of objectiveness with regard to their performance - even when our team/your team/the team you're/we're rooting for wins due to a crappy call.

Until we can do that and join together in trying to get the refs like Seitz taken off the WPS schedule, we're going to have to put up with their/her crappy reffing - I fear for a long, long time.

9. disalex

disalex New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    You make a valid point, right now Philadelphia fans are loving Kari.

10. Dartsoc

Dartsoc New Member

May 16, 2004
    I am overseas helping the good guys against the bad guys so I just saw the tape. I thought The Legedary Coach looked great in a suit and he should wear it when he visits the Commisioner's Ofiice and tell them Seitz can't ref worth a %$^&%##%^&&**%$%%. A pandemic is soccer this year. Go figure.

11. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    A lot of Kari Seitz hate in here. She's probably the best Female FIFA the United States has ever had...probably not going to see her going away anytime soon.

12. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm on your forum so I won't press the point but since we're all pretty civil to each other in the Women's Forum, I'll mention that a Breakers fan with 42" HD has decided it wasn't a handball. That makes 2 for 2 on the 42"HD.

Post is on the PBP thread. There's also discussion in the Referee Forum, which I think is a highly educational place but beware of the posting rules there. They're mainly refs in there and they're not looking for comments like the ones on this thread. They're not interested in bashing a fellow ref when she's correctly positioned, her AR is correctly positioned, and multiple replays are inconclusive.

13. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh! Speaking of the Referee Forum...Sometimes if you don't go to the Referees, the Referees will come to you.

14. p-nutz

p-nutz Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    The replay they've been showing on today's webcast actually looks like a header while the same replays on Thursday did not. How'd they manage that? lol

15. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well I do...I get curious.

16. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tuned in late and missed that. Different angles? Watching HD today but not on Thursday?

17. p-nutz

p-nutz Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    It's possible. Although I thought there were only 2 angles, but then again...I can believe Jenn and Mark not having a clue.... lol I'm sure it'll be shown after the game again.

I only have the option of webcast, so it's never great quality unfortunately :( does the job until you really want a crystal clear view.

18. disalex

disalex New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    I have a 65" Hi Def TV and I disagree, since mine is bigger do I win? :)

19. p-nutz

p-nutz Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    Isn't that how it usually works? :p

20. supermoo

supermoo New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reputation means little, if anything to me - players or refs. I am only concerned with current (i.e. this year's) performance.
    I don't hate Kari Seitz. I don't know her as a person.
    I do not like the job she did or her personality on-field this year - at all.
    On field, my experience and opinion of her work mentioned above were formed after watching her this year only.
    Past performance, as they say, is not an indicator of future results.

I expect refs to be able to explain their calls - immediately, and consistently when they discuss them later.
    Referees should show consistency when calling a game (it should not look like you're working 2 different games by looking at your calls - or lack thereof - with regard to each team in the same game).
    A head ref should give the players clearance so they can see the ball when it's in play. Seitz is often in the direct line of the ball, but when she sees that it is headed toward her, she just lifts her leg at the last minute instead of stepping out of the way. This obstructs the view of the players on field.
    Watching her, it is obvious what players she will listen to, and what players she won't - even if they're team captains. I've seen her wave off players from one team who calmly approach her over legitimate issues, while listening to players on the opposing team who pitch a hissy fit over less egregious calls.
    The case in point is that fact that her name is well known outside of referee and player circles, and she's been involved in controversial calls with unexpected outcomes that decided games this year.
    I personally think that fans should not know WHO a referee is - i.e. they should not be "showy"/bring attention to themselves unless it's unavoidable. They should be a non-issue other than ensuring that the game is played fairly and safely, and be the adjudicator if necessary if it's called for.

A referee who seems to reach for/generate attention for themselves is one who, in my opinion, should not be on the field at this level.

Maybe this year is an aberration in Seitz's career. I hope it is and that next year will show improvement (and I will happily eat my words).

(My apologies to Breakers fans - not intending to hijack your thread - just to respond to Yogi's comment)

21. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's often a great perspective to be on the outside of a situation looking in. For one thing you can attach as many requirements as you want without them having any basis whatsoever or having to live up to them yourself.

22. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey Yogi,
    Are you saying that those of us who are not professional players should not comment on the games, and those of us who are not refs should not be commenting on the refs' performances? I thought that this was the whole point of this forum. We may not always agree, but at least we can have a respectful discussion.
    supermoo gave specific examples, whereas you just made a blanket statement that Seitz was one of the best refs. So where does this "you have no basis" comment come from? What is the basis of your comments?
    We all want the WPS to succeed, and in order to accomplish that, we need credible, objective officiating. I am not sure how performance reviews are done for the refs, but it is my hope that someone will review Seitz' performance this season.

23. supermoo

supermoo New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yogi - They do have basis = those are the same standards I do hold to myself to.
    If I make a decision at work, I am absolutely and unequivocally required to explain it on demand - even if it was on the fly - even if it was wrong, and even if it was in front of fifty people. I am expected to, and do, work professionally with others, and treat them with equanimity - even including people who openly dislike me and treat me with disdain or disrespect publicly - without my personal feelings/preferences weighing in - because I am a professional and expected to conduct myself as such. I am expected to, and do, work as part of a team without pushing myself forward and making myself the focus - even in cases where I have done all the work, and others get the credit.

Though my profession may be different, I absolutely do have to live up to the above mentioned qualities every single day in my professional life - and I am not at the level in my career that Seitz is in hers (as you said - premiere FIFA female ref in the world).

The higher on the ladder you are, the MORE you should embody the proper conduct and attitude because you're setting the example for everyone who will follow in your steps.

(again, my apologies Breakers)

24. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'm sorry I made the thread in the Referee Forums now...obviously it was pointless. Except of course for my positioning points.

25. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a 40" HD and I still think it's a handball. I slowed it down as much as possible, and you still can't really see the actual part of her body that touches the ball. However, Alyssa Naeher would have to be the world's greatest improvisational actress to have faked her response to what she saw.