BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH & THE CL

Discussion in 'Borussia Moenchengladbach' started by HANS-GUNTER BRUNS, Oct 8, 2020.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how a single, disputed, empty can was enough to annul a game--but not that.

2. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Such a sad state..the entire world my friend. From football to.....u know what am talking about
    Seems like the Kraken tho is coming out??

Today though REAL really shut us down. Not that you can compare a DIVA team to Gladbach but this was a REAL team running on one leg..and they managed to control our squad...not to mention when i saw the line i was what the fack, Rose must have something up his sleeve...Thuram, plea and Embo..all in the starting elf...but it backfired. Really liked Kramer's poise and ball distribution.Granted they hot the aluminium twice..but we are still very weak in the air...Ginter was like a deer caught in the headlights... especially on the second goal...u just don't want to see a well-coached team like us..we solid players get stung from the same are twice in less than 20 min...that was really embarrassing. But am happy we are collecting the 10 Mil for qualifying.....but i guess u have all seen who are the opposition in the next round for us. Maybe the Apprentice and master will meet eh???
    :rolleyes:o_O:alien::cautious::devilish::ROFLMAO::sneaky::speechless::whistling:

3. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ken i have a german friend.He is the head of one of the biggest gladbach fan clubs...he is around our age..well actually older than me ( am 53) he told me he has a piece of soil and whats left from the grass...from that very game.
    Anyways Conte and Co are packing!

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real were very good yesterday. How they lost to Donetsk is beyond me.... B squad, I guess.

5. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Makes the 2 of us????
    Overall i was almost sure....at best we can qualify 3rd ( if we get lucky)
    Ken
    if we get Liverpool....it would just be a historic pleasure for me...id rather we get...honestly they are all heavy weights...but lets enjoy the ride.
    Real didnt even break sweat...almost like it was a training game..or friendly!!!
    Are we that bad??? Are they that good??
    :confused::thumbsdown::eek::whistling::cautious::alien:

6. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Real did not have a B Team, they were just lazy. They did not start strong. Obviously (and it really pains me) Shakhtar have a quality squad. They beat Real twice (3-2 and 2-0) and drew Inter twice (0-0 and 0-0). But they have a propensity of falling apart if they fall behind early. Borussia did it both times to them. Borussia jumped on Shakhtar early and that is how they were able to overwhelm them.

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS and kgilbert78 repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the analysis. Of course, Borussia should have beaten both Real and Inter in the first legs, but that's why you have to play 90 min and not 85.

LuckyStriker repped this.
  8. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have always pointed out the schedule ( being cl or regular season) plays a great role in a team's success.Of course, i still bite my nails why coincided two goals in stoppage time against Real ( for personal reasons) and inter.I also think UEFA is out to lunch and has to somehow send the money maker fat clubs thru...who in the right mind puts aDUTCH referee to guide a game where a german team is on one side...they truly hate us! Anyway despite the result today...we did a fine job to fly out into the round of 16...I have not done the match this season but we have only spent maybe 150-170 Mil Euros for such a talented squad that on a good day can put any team on fire...whereas REAL must be around or even over 850 Mil euros..right there that's also a reason for UEFA and officials to get biased.
    Its the round of 16 for us and am just glad we got some good money to invest in our players and not sell them as usual...but i doubt we can go further...unless the GHOST OF BOKELBERG spreads her protective shadow:thumbsdown::ROFLMAO:o_O:devilish::cautious:;) over us!

9. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Also, these DIVA players make me sick, back in the day when players had pride for their Jersey they would shit their pants in the locker room for playing lazy ...your making more money than an Orthopaedic Surgeon that saves lives...to go play a game...and u decide to be lazy????FFS..this world man...better stop here b/c it will get ugly!
    :mad::mad::speechless::speechless:

10. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ken
    it was very very very tough..even worse than the 84 game when we schooled them 5-1 in Dusseldorf...yea very painful to see them equalize..and also with inter...it could have been a good moment to put the Cocan Can to rest for ever.:rolleyes:o_O:ninja::cautious:

11. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BMG struggles defensively. Have since the end of the Favre era. Sommer is quick, but not a particularly big dude. Ginter & Elvedi are adequate.....but not all that. A healthy Zakaria made it tick. Yeah, you know about that...............

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ginter is good enough to be selected for the Nats. It does seem like Wendt has fallen off a bit. But when you are a team that lives for the attack (as we always have been), you will get beat on the counter from time to time.

13. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes ..i got some good feed, but have to run it by you to get confirmation...see u on the other side, my friend
    Definitely Zakaria gave much-needed power
    We kinda managed the D-Line when VESTE was there like a giant...honestly both goals where not REAL's superior...yes they dominated the game...but the goals where like high school football cluster fack

;):rolleyes::ROFLMAO::whistling::eek::thumbsup:

14. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    I‘m in a downcast mood for quite some time and for different reasons (COVID not being no.1)
    didn‘t get into the ‚right‘ groove this season at all… solely some tiny moments (Neuhaus‘ monsterpass against Inter f.e.) really thrilled me
    so I decided to have a look into this forum to squeeze out some more positive vibes because of what happened here:

man, that was a bad move!
    what has come over you guys? why this outlandish criticism? I always defended Favre but why should I even think of Favre this month? or think of Dutch referees (they don't hate us by the way)? who really gives a shit right now how ‚tall‘ Sommer is? who in all seriousness no kidding legally sane and totally sober really thinks we would be better off with Veste in defence?
    did months of permanent Covid-19-media-shelling totally kill off the brain-region responsible for feelings like delight, shared joy, esteem?

I still remember like it was yesterday when IGOR in may ‘11 scored the goal of the decade and saved us from the brink of 2nd tier tristesse and a long phase of dire straits
    and N_O_W BORUSSIA is part of the last 16 of Europe‘s elite for the first time since 1977 (a time without all this bloated money clubs we have to compete against nowadays)
    which easily makes Borussia a TOP25 club on this planet (yeah, I know that‘s only a snapshot and most likely will not develop into more than a snapshot because the bad smelling wolverines are gonna eviscerate us at the end of the season)… but still quite an advancement one could think…
    last season Borussia played UEFA Europa League… not one good match (of 6)! (ok maybe o-n-e), this season we moved up on a higher level and already played f-i-v-e decent matches! (and finished 2nd out of 32 on goals)

THIS IS AN INCREDIBLE ACCOMPLISHMENT for the club! Enjoy it as long as it lasts!
    even me in my bad mood and even our archrival cannot get around this:
    You have to congratulate everyone who makes it into the Champions League and survives the group stage. That shows the intensive work of the previous season, that‘s why we can also congratulate our neighbors. This is important and good for German football, that‘s why it has to be associated with the necessary respect." H. Heldt, sporting director of the billy goats

Borussia did this without a big sponsor and without a patron or sheik or oligarch
    nobody owns us (didn‘t even sell the catering rights), nobody rules us, nobody telecontrols us (and we don‘t need shady tax deals like some of the spanish clubs f.e.)
    we are a F_R_E_E_!!!
    we are UNIQUE!
    we are BORUSSIA!
    HALLELUJAH!

I wish a pleasant advent season and I hope our club sends a decent amount of christmas cookies & Glühwein to Donetsk… these Ukrainians are great people! (ok, half of them turned out to be Brazilians)
    long live Anatoliy Trubin and long live our best defender on Wednesday: the great Lukaku!

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depending on how you count, it was 1978 when they last played in the last 16, as the semifinals were March/April. I know--I attended the first leg.

I am thrilled with this achievement and am hoping for the quarterfinals.

But who knows what COVID will bring? My Crew have two top players out for the MLS Final on Saturday, for example.

16. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    #41 Bananenflanke, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    sorry, like so often I'm standing on the hose (aka 'being on a loss')
    don't know what 'how you count' means
    I wasn't there and have no memory at all but I took a short look into the internet
    in 78/79 we didn't play elite soccer at all, the billy goats did
    in 77/78 we played Red Star Belgrade in the round of the last 16 on Oct 19th (3:0) and on Nov 2nd (5:1)
    in march '78 we played Innsbruck (round of the last 8)
    what am I getting wrong?

we are all hoping for the quarterfinals but (of course this is totally facile): we need two good days
    I don't wish for L'pools vigor, I totally dislike City and therefore would opt for Chelski if there wasn't Werner who totally loves to score against us... and I really don't want to watch Neymar winning against us...
    statistically we are most likely getting Juve, I'm ok with that

over here death count tops 600 today so there is a christmas/new year's-hard-lockdown coming I guess... (maybe we should move the season festivities into spring) still not sure if this would affect Bundesliga/CL
    because I didn't get into the Bundesliga-groove I also didn't watch MLS at all so far, too bad two of the Crew are out (Borussia too missed Bense a lot against Real as you have noticed ;-) ... but I try to at least watch the final
    stay healthy!

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How you count--is the 77/78 season 1977 or 1978? That what I meant. As far as March 1978 goes, well..... We might have won that series too, had Simonsen not gotten hurt vs Braunschweig two weeks before (we did win the first leg 2-1).
    bmgtix2.jpg
    My hometown team, Columbus Crew, is in the MLS Cup finals--but COVID has already struck the team and we will be without two of our top players for the final tomorrow. I'd have gone to the match were it not for COVID. We decided against it (we did go to a match earlier, though), as everything is at high levels here in Franklin County. Skipped Thanksgiving too at my sister-in-laws and likely will skip Christmas too.

18. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    still don't get the point but that is irrelevant

that L'pool match you attended was quite a historical one!... my father attended and still speaks of the match against AC Torino the season before (just a 0-0 but three Italians were sent off, it was a Belgian referee they totally love us ;-)))))))))
    at this time (the Liverpool matches) Borussia's epic-fail-mythos originated, a reason more to worship what happened on wednesday because it's ahistorical

don't know for sure and wasn't in the mood to investigate but it seemed to me that Bensebaini's quarantine lasted longer than usual... but I lack reliable information

good luck at the weekend I usually cheer for the clubs from the smaller (and less hip) cities ;-)

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When a season spans two years (as 1977/78), it is the 1977 season or the 1978 season? I've heard it both ways.

20. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    there is nothing like a "1977 season" in central europe
    the Scandinavians and Russians had (or still have?) this because of their depressing everlasting winters
    guess it doesn't matter anyway because in the original post I didn't speak of a season, I spoke of the year the round of the last 16 actually was played
    but let's not waste energy on this, your ticket is much more interesting!

I really, I mean r-e-a-l-l-y!, like that somewhere in Ohio somebody is filing Borussia tickets from the 70s... I myself was never good at that (but I at least saved your pic)... but somewhere (but where? it's a mess here!) I'm pretty sure I have picture-autographs from four of Borussia's players you watched LIVE on this day: Kulik, Hannes, Nielsen, Del'haye & Lienen

edit: that's five, not four, dummy...

21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some other fun photos....
    16042005borussiagegenmainz37a.jpg
    Mrs KG in the blue jacket and me in the black shirt with white "wings", three seats above the flag holder. 2005 vs Mainz BMG3.jpg BMG301.jpg bmgtix1.jpg
    2 pics from game and the game ticket...

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS and Bananenflanke repped this.
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and.. from the same game... BMG201 (2).jpg
    and from 2013
    kgilbert2(2014).JPG

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS repped this.
  23. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    the first one is a drone-selfie, right?... very advanced given the time ;-))))))
    and yes, I knew it was the 70s on the next pics before I even looked at the ticket
    great colors and the notorious Uselswe'er (dialect) aka Schmuddelwetter aka murky weather which made the Lower Rhine so famous... this and fog... and cows and tractors and sugar beets... and Borussia, of course
    and next post has Potato-Fritz-Breitner the old Maoist! splendid!

I looked for the autographs but didn't find them (and most likely never will) ... but indeed found a bunch of younger ones (83/84 I guess)... still two of the L'pool heroes amongst them (one at this time coaching his former teammates):
    002.jpg
    well, I have more but not that many and only from around that time... I never was much into memorablia... soccer for me most of the time was about the magical moments when everything clicked on the field, about the drama when everything threatened to fall apart (like '11, experiences big club-supporters never ever witness, these poor cosseted fellas) and always about the Vorfreude, the antcipatory thrill of the days before the crucial matches ... the social experience is another huge factor of course...

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS repped this.
  24. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    I guess you already know but for others who might want to have a look: here is good footage of the L'pool match of 1978 in D'dorf

our vice-president is smashing one in and Lattek is not moving any of his face muscles
    and this wonderful cap of Alfred Gerhards sitting next to Lattek! splendid! that's a collector's item... if anybody who reads this owns it: I'm making a bid! well no, it should be exhibited in a glass cabinet at Borussia's Museum... with the proper illumination, of course

Eberl is longing for Kloppool he told yesterday...

25. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ken

Are u trying to make me fel bad..lol

:ROFLMAO::alien::D