Borussia Dortmund vs Zenith: CL match day 2

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by eaglespark, Oct 28, 2020.

1. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    We play Zenith today. Hopefully we see the exact same line up as against Schalke, except Reus in for Reyna. Play that team and I am confident we will win. It's a game we have to win.

2. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I doubt it will be the same team, I think Witsel will start.

3. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Witsel & Bellingham, calling it right now.

4. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bürki; Guerreiro, Hummels, Akanji, Meunier; Witsel, Dahoud; Reyna, Reus, Sancho; Haaland.

Auf der Bank: Hitz, Morey, Delaney, Hazard, Brandt, Reinier, Bellingham, Piszcek, Passlack, Raschl.

5. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    The two good things are that we are playing Dahoud and four at the back.

Why is Witsel back in the team. He is a liability. He needs to be dropped and sold.

Why is Reyna starting instead of Brandt? Brandt was quality in the last game. Very stupid decisions. This is why Favre needs to go.

However, we should have more than enough to win. Why is Reyna playing every match?

6. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Such a stupid selection. Witsel does not have the legs to cover Raphael or the counter. Delaney or the ill Can do.

Brandt must have been on a high after his performance and deserved to play again.

I love Reus more than anyone here. However for the good of the team he needs to play off the left, which is fine because he will be able to come in field a lot.

Not to mention Reyna is exhausted and needs a rest.

But it should still be enough to beat Zenith.

7. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure Favre sees Reus almost exclusively as a central player (#10, or a "nine-and-a-half" as the coach likes to say) at this point. This might be fair if you are expecting the wingers to press and track back quite a bit, especially on the left side where Guerreiro is not great in defensive 1v1s. So for this game he chose Reus since Brandt started on the weekend.

Then you could say - well you could still squeeze Brandt into the double pivot, but I think the preference is to play a creative CM alongside a holding type. I agree Witsel has been atrocious lately, but Zenit is his former club and Delaney needs a break. With the fixture schedule what it is, Dortmund needs Witsel to recover something resembling the form of his first season with the club and at least east some useful minutes.

8. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    what would it take for favre to get fired in the middle of the season

9. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Sancho is completely out of form

10. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta say though, Sancho's through balls are tasty.

11. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Yeh he has picked up.

We should bring Brandt on and be a bit more prepared to shoot.

12. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Reus is not 40, he can still press and track back especially in a game like this. What exactly is Reyna doing defensively, which Reus could not?

13. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Sancho is in a tough phase this season, many things he tries don't work. But he also initiated two of our best opportunities that could have been finished differently by passing to a player in a better position. It just needs to click for him again.
    I think our game got more boring towards the end besides those two 2 chances.

14. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Takes off our best midfielder Dahoud.

Brings on Hazard when we need Brandt.

Favre out.

This is a must win game.

15. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    We get a pen and Sancho scores it, but Favre is a joke and he is going to face a mutiny.

16. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really happy for Sancho. Hopefully that penalty sparks an uptick in confidence and form.

17. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    well we are gonna win but no thanks to favre

how did we draw the pen

18. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    A cross and Hazard I think was pulled. We need to to sack this guy.

Brandts speed of passing just creates so much more space. I bet we will get another stupid formation this weekend.

Now he brings on Bellingham and Delaney to defend the lead. It's so pathetic.

19. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Haaland scores and seals it.

20. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK off topic but....what is going on at Old Trafford? lol

21. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I don't mind Delaney but Witsel should have been taken out for him. I think at times the criticism against Witsel is too much here but he's been pretty bad the last games and too often when he gets the ball, it's as if our game takes a nap. It's getting really frustrating to see that.
    Also, the Hazard for Dahoud sub was idiotic as well. It's nice to have Hazard back but crippling the midfield by taking out the only creative midfielder is just braindead. Dahoud didn't have a great second half, though.

astrophyz repped this.
  22. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We won, but I'm not impressed.

astrophyz repped this.
  23. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bruges draws Lazio, both have one point more than us. We need at least 4 points from the next two games, preferably two wins because I wouldn't like to depend on getting a result in Russia in december.

24. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Should've taken Reyna out much earlier as he was struggling the most out there. We also need to be realistic when critiquing the players and call a spade a spade. Dahoud, our "most creative" midfielder did not have a good game, especially in the 2nd half. Looking at his passing chart, 90%+ of his passes were either backwards, lateral, or had less than 8m forward depth. He was way too cautious and did not take any risks which I caught on a few occasions where he had a runner from the flank into the box and he looked their way but wouldn't pull the trigger and instead turned and played a lateral pass. If he is going to play thay way then he is no better than Witsel who at least defends and wins balls. Brandt for Reyna should have been the first sub and then Hazard for Reus.

astrophyz repped this.
  25. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest I don't think it was the type of terrible performance where the team doesn't show up. They played hard and stayed focused but the attacking players favor the same spaces around the area and it gets hard to break through the bus. The team was much better about switching sides quickly, but there wasn't much threat of anyone creating chances from the wings, especially with Sancho mysteriously unwilling to take his defender on. This is on Favre to formulate solutions.

As I wrote the above paragraph, Favre is explaining that he wanted them to utilize the flanks better, but Reyna and Sancho played too narrowly and made it easier for Zenit to defend.