Borussia Dortmund 2013-2014 General Discussion Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by footyfan1, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

How Will Borussia Dortmund Do In The 2013-2014 Bundesliga Season?

1. BVB will take back the title from Pep's Bayern team!

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. BVB will finish in second place by a huge margin again.

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. BVB will finish in second place by a close margin.

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. BVB will finish in third place, still making the CL.

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. BVB will finish in fourth place. Go into CL qualifying.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. BVB will finish between fifth or sixth, making the Europa League.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. BVB will finish between seventh and tenth place.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. BVB will be finish between eleventh and fifteenth place. (Really?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. BVB will be in the relegation playoff. (Really?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. BVB will be relegated. (Are you f#cking kidding?)

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  11. I don't know. I just want the season to start!

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Ask and ye shall receive. New general discussion thread for the new season!

2. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I lol'd at the "relegation" option and FootyFan's comments in the brackets.

3. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Which option is

BvB would get bought over by Ullis team?

4. BVB1989

BVB1989 Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Bled, Slovenia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Shit probably its not realistic but I've voted for another Bundesliga crown! If Pep can become a mess like Klinsmann was years ago at Bayern everything is possible.

But realistically new guys have to gel with the old ones. Maybe it could take some time. I hope Lewadowski would not cause unrest and stay focused to depart from BVB in some style.

And I'm interested how Goetze will perform... if he is a star and another next great thing for Bayern and whole Germany he would have to rock even more like he did at BVB. And in case he turns into a shit, then I would have to seriously reconsider what makes players better overall. Is this team spirit, some sort of a protective cocoon like Keith said, Kloppo's motivation or a mixture of everything good at Dortmund.

Sahin failed, Barrios failed, Kagawa IMO is no where near where he was before he went to United and now next in the line Goetze. If Goetze and Lewa fail then WTF?

Well I would rather see them both fail just because this could convience some players to stay at BVB. :) Highly unlikely but still...

vinontop repped this.
  5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The key as I see it for BVB to be competitive in this Bundesliga race will be to jump Bayern and gain some early momentum as Bayern adjust to their new manager. Pep is said to be changing a fair deal, including switching to zonal marking on set-pieces and that could still be an issue this season. Bayern generally lose the Bundesliga when they become complacent, as their resources are significantly stronger than the rest of the league. I don't see them maintaining the extraordinary focus and composure of last season, so this could be someone else's year.

At the same time, BVB will need to sort out their issues and Mkhitaryan especially will need to bed in rather quickly so they can get the edge they need to be competitive. The new attacking acquisitions aside, right back is also another area of concern, with Piszczek out, a solution, preferably a bit longer-term, will need to be found. Also, I would hope that BVB can transition away from their emphasis on fast counters and start developing a retentive element, as it'd help the against stock Bundesliga teams, but that doesn't seem likely.

Defensive form will also be of tremendous importance; in 2010-2011, BVB conceded 22 goals in the Bundesliga, in 2011-2012 BVB conceded 25 in the Bundesliga, but in 2012-2013 BVB conceded a whopping 42 goals in the Bundesliga, nearly half as many goals as it scored (81). By contrast, offensive production has remained fairly steady the past two seasons after sharply moving upwards from 2010-2011, with BVB scoring 67 goals in 2010-2011, scoring 80 goals in 2011-2012, and 81 in 2012-2013.

My guess is that there's little reason for offensive production to decline significantly or improve significantly, as I suspect that Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan combined could realistically replicate Götze's offensive output, and possible loss of output from Lewandowski, albeit probably in a very different manner. It'd seem, if BVB could regain its defensive mojo from the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 seasons while maintaining the number of goals scored, they'd become significantly more of a meaningful threat to Bayern's title. So that'll be crucial to BVB's chances.

So my question is, what went wrong in 2012-2013 that caused the defence to start leaking goals like a sieve, and can BVB do anything about it? My hypothesis is three factors; Hummels' loss of form, BVB's inadequate defensive depth, and Klopp's system being figured out. I shall expand on all three in a later post.

6. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  7. BVB_09america

BVB_09america Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see us put a little more pressure on Bayern by jumping ahead of them in points too, even if it's a small margin, in the early part of the season. Get in their heads early. Make them question the changes they've made. Yet I guess that's what they think they've done to us, get into our heads already with Götze and Lewandowski dealings. We shall see.

8. jd6735

jd6735 Member

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Hahah, I don't think the poll needs all those options, just 1 option for "Dortmund finish outside of CL spots - catastrophe!" would suffice :D

Can't wait for the season to start!

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  10. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I LOL'ed @ Sebastian Kehl.

11. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is how I can tell I'm just a f#cking OLD BASTARD! I don't have a clue of what any of it means except Sebastian Kehl is old when compared to the others......

MetroChile repped this.
  12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Other than Kuba (R1=Sprint, so he just runs around forever) and Kehl (old-school) I don't get it either. I prefer Xbox, so maybe that's the problem.

13. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You teed this one up man. This more your speed? :p

[​IMG]

footyfan1 and MetroChile repped this.
  14. Gundogan92

Gundogan92 Member+

Apr 13, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I like Mkhitaryan. First game for the team, goal and assist already :thumbsup:

15. Huckeye

Huckeye Member+

St Pauli
    May 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He is playing quite well, only a friendly, but still impressive.

16. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Reus controller seems appropriate that guy have some magic.

17. HarveyDent

HarveyDent Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

X= pass O= shoot

18. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    3-1 for us over Basel. Jonas Hofmann scored the last one. Good assist by Aubameyang - a 50(?) yard cross field pass.

19. Zlatan Sakovic

Aug 6, 2009
    Tuzla
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Right now our squad looks like this:
    ------------------------------Lewandowski-----------------------
    ---------------------------------Schieber--------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------Reus--------------Mkhitaryan------Blaszsczkowski
    --------Aubameyang-----------Duksch----------Hoffmann----
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------Gundogan----------Bender-----------------
    -------------------------Sahin--------------Kehl-------------------
    ----Schmelzer--------Hummels--------Subotic--------Sokratis
    ---Grosskreutz----------Sarr------------Gunter----------Kirch
    -----------------------------Weidenfeller--------------------------
    -------------------------------Langerak----------------------------
    Piszczek is injured and Sobiech is, according to transfermarkt, on his way to HSV so I didn't count them in. Am I the only one who thinks that our second eleven needs serious improvement? I guess Duksch, Hoffman, Sarr and Gunter are given their chance on these training camps to win a spot on the team and I'm fine with that, but I think it would be wise to keep an eye open for two more additions. A right fullback and an attacking midfielder. I don't like Sokratis being our first option on right fullback position or Kirch being his first back up. I will be very nervous if we start the season with these 22 players.

20. Huckeye

Huckeye Member+

St Pauli
    May 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think two more defenders are needed. Probably an older guy to hold the position for a year or two tops. Then next year acquire a ST and another mid.

21. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's pretty good. Just a few comments.

I know you're probably just using a spot up there, but Ducksch won't "backup" Mkhitaryan. Even though he'll start elsewhere, I believe Gündogan or Reus will step in at that position should something happen to Mkhitaryan. If something happens where Gündogan or Reus cannot step in, I believe the job would then fall to Sahin.

Next is the right back situation. I don't think Kirch is really going to be a part of the Bundesliga team this season. I really believe if we ever see Kirch on the field, we will either be so totally far ahead that we can't be caught or we are so far behind the shit doesn't matter. I really believe Kirch is only being kept around as a "practice body" and he may even wind up doing some playing in the 3. Liga for BVB II.

I really don't think Sokratis is going to be playing any right back. I believe he, Hummels and Subotic will do a lot of rotating in the center.

Staying at right back, from what has been discussed elsewhere, Klopp really seems to be working BVB II striker Erik Durm at right back. I haven't gotten to watch any of it yet, but from what others are saying, Durm seems to be doing well. I would not be totally surprised if Durm goes into the season as the backup or even starting right back until Piszczek returns. I don't know that Sokratis has even played any right back this pre-season. I don't think he has. I know KG and Durm played right back against 1. FC Magdeburg. I believe KG and Durm played right back in our victory over FC Basel today too.

I believe the club should really think about signing a backup left back if KG is truly going to be a part of the right back mix........

Right. I think we should not even count on having Piszczek until after the winter break.

I believe the Sobiech to HSV deal is done.

No. You're not the only one. But we are still not at the point where we can have "great" backups. Not just yet.

See above for my comments on right back. Again, I don't think Sokratis or Kirch will play a real role there. I think KG or Durm is going to start there. I didn't say this above, but I think you'll see Kuba or Hummels start at right back before Sokratis or Kirch does. I think Sokratis not playing a role at right back is also why we haven't signed a veteran like Manuel Friedrich at center back. I think we should sign Friedrich anyhow though.......

I do agree we need to sign another fullback, but I think we need someone to back up Schmelzer at left back more than we need another right back.

The problem is, guys with any quality have already been snapped up. And guys who have real quality don't want to come to Dortmund to be a backup. I've said what I'm about to say elsewhere before. A pretty good source I trust says word around the league is that no good left back wants to join Dortmund because they don't feel Klopp will give them a real chance to beat out Schmelzer. And I honestly believe they might not be wrong.........

I think we need another attacking midfielder like we need a hole in the head. But I'll take one if his name is Kevin Volland........

As far as that position goes, BVB made it pretty obvious after last season that Jonas Hoffman would play a role on the Bundesliga team this coming season. This is why he wasn't loaned out or sold a la Leitner or Bittencourt. This is not to say that Leitner would not have played a role. He would have. However, BVB wanted him to get even more Bundesliga time for his development. Bittencourt wouldn't have beaten out Hoffman. I believe Bittencourt and his people saw the writing on the wall and this is why they accepted the sale to Hannover. But, with the buyback clause for him, BVB will still be watching his development.

I believe Ducksch, Sarr and Gunter are being probed to see how much they can possibly help this season. I believe all three will spend the season with BVB II, but could make some Bundesliga appearances. I didn't get to read this article yet, but in it, I believe Sarr says Klopp made him believe he has a chance to make it at Dortmund. It also says Sarr will probably play with BVB II this season. However, if he shines enough this pre-season, I can see Klopp working him into a few BL and Cup matches.

I am interested to see what happens with Ducksch this season. If he gets off to a very good 3. Liga start, I can also see Klopp working him into maybe an early round Cup match or two and the tail end of some Bundesliga matches. However, now that we have Aubameyang, who is capable of playing striker too, there is really no rush to promote Ducksch to challenge Schieber.

Now, if Wolfsburg comes for Schieber as there are some rumors floating about and BVB actually sells (which I don't think we will), things will get interesting for Ducksch.

I think you're overreacting just a bit. Not a lot. Just a bit.

We don't have a "super bench", but it is better than we had last season. We have more options. It is just that a few players are options at multiple positions.

Zlatan Sakovic and Berchtesgaden repped this.
  22. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Who is that Sarr guy listed in the depth chart?

23. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    He is a massive talent. He was arguably the best defender in the Euro U17 last summer in which Germany lost the final on penalties against Netherlands U17. We bought him from Leverkusen in January(2013). He has great composure on the ball and great reading of the game. He turned 18 in January so he is still very young and needs to stay with the reserves this season.
    With Sokratis, Hummels and Subotic, he will not get many chances in the next 2-3 years so he needs to go on loan I guess in 2014.

footyfan1 and MetroChile repped this.
  24. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  25. Snakeater

Snakeater Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Is that Sarr kid the one who put in that wicked ass 60 yard cross on Mkihitaryan's shoe strings for one of the goals? That's one hell of a downfield, diagonal cross. Mkihitaryan looks good already. Looking forward to Aubemeyang.

Still think we need to work on shoring up our depth and quality. Schmelzer, Bender, and Schieber's positions need to be upgraded. Dortmund need a back with skills, a d-mid who can pass, and pretty much anything would be an improvement over Schieber.