Borough Boys Issue Statement RE: MLS Expansion

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by Mr.Smartypants, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just another straw for them to grasp at.

2. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If we are going to talk branding seriously I think we need to acknowledge that NY/USA is just a part of City´s branding ambitions..like it´s part of a number of clubs branding ambitions.
    It seems that earlier this year both Barcelona and Manchester United had meetings in New York attended by thousands of fans.

No doubt NYC will also be branding itself, locally and to a lesser degree nationwide?
    You might even suspect that it would be counterproductive for City not to brand NYC as much as possible eh?
    Having a NYC team starting from scratch promoting City is like robbing Peter to pay Paul..In other words, there´s no profit in it.

No, I think IMHO that the keyword is not branding, the keyword is ambition..You don´t want one smallish brand promoting a bigger brand, you want to have two biggish brands.

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United

Don't fall off your high horse.

As to your argument: Chivas USA.

4. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rode a clydesdale once. Awesome.

I've said this before, the problem with Chivas USA isn't the name or the location, it's the owner. He is cheap and doesn't care if the team succeeds. No TV contract, slashed player payroll, a front-office reportedly only including five people or so. He's not even trying.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yeah, I think that's more than branding. It's branding by your regional nemesis.

6. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and if not....they at least will go out supporting something that is in Long Island.

7. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the gag reflex felt by many people who would have liked to have supported NY2 would be been as extreme if they managed the announcement a lot differently. There were two major narratives they could have gone with, and they picked the wrong one and really hit hard on all of the wrong notes.

The narrative they chose was Manchester City FC is buying into MLS and extending the Manchester City brand to the USA. Look, here are a bunch of Manchester City players. Here is Manchester City coming out in a silly t-shirt that says NYC FC. We're probably going to wear the same colors as Manchester City too, even though they have no relevance to New York. We're partnering with the Yankees, just in case we didn't alienate you by being a Manchester City minor league affiliate!

The narrative could have been: Sheikh Mansour is a really big soccer fan, loves New York City and really wants to be a part of MLS. He happens to own Manchester City... but let's been honest... New York City has much much bigger potential than Manchester. It's the media capital of the world and it deserves a team with its own identity and global ambitions. New York City FC will be built to represent New York City on the global stage, but it will be built from the ground up as New York City's team with its own identity. Sure, we may call in resources from Manchester to help now and again because that's just efficiency in business, but this is its own team, with its own destiny, and it's second to no one, certainly not second fiddle to Manchester City. It just happens to have the same person owning it.

The second narrative would have gone over much better but unfortunately they decided to go with the Manchester City buys into MLS narrative, which was just tone deaf and stupid. They did this to themselves. Frankly, I'm surprised that Don Garber didn't know better after Chivas USA and seeing how the New York market has been ambivalent to the Red Bulls despite a great stadium.

Don Garber is the person I'm most disappointed in over this because I really thought he "got it." He really could have delivered something great with this, something that would have made his legacy. Instead he delivers us Man City USA.

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cosmos have the money, they just don't want to play by the rules MLS has in place.

9. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

IMO, they basically wanted to be Notre Dame Football.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  10. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    No no ffs..Sela Sports don´t have that much money, what they have is a Saudi bank as shareholder but from that to being able to spend freely..

kiro2317, SoccerPrime and AndyMead repped this.
  11. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the real issue. If the Cosmos don't want to play by MLS parity rules there's no place for the Cosmos in MLS. Ever.

12. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    My view is the BBs made friends in the Cosmos org and want to hitch the wagon to them. Nothing wrong with that IMHO.

To me all 3 teams in NYC area a flawed and I really haven't decided who to follow ( as far as the 2 new teams go) .

Energy Drink FC: destroyed my Metros to create a commercial for their drink so I will never follow them.

NeoCosmos: Have no intention of actually playing in NYC and apparently will only be a minor league team. Have seemed a lot more interested in selling T-shirts than playing in the top league. Basically the Rough Riders with a throwback name.

NYCFC: Come off as a purely a way to expand the brand of Man City. The linkup with the Yankees doesn't really make me want to support them being a Met fan. If they play at YS the travel time isn't that much different than RBA for me.

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clarkstown Eagles of the NPSL...c'mon up and I'll smuggle you in a beer!

14. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Interesting dilemma you got there..So given that all three are "flawed" will you watch any of them and in that case what might attract you to see them?

15. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Don't laugh but I was FCNY's season ticket holder.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  16. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Don't get me wrong. I do plan on going to matches of both the Cosmos and NYCFC. For the Cosmos I can't see me giving much more than going out to the odd match ( much like I used to go to the odd Long Island Rough Riders when they played in USISL). NYCFC will depend where they play to be honest. If it's Yankee Stadium most likely I'll go to a few matches a season. If they play in a stadium in Queens, my wife and I will very likely have a least some sort of multi-match plan maybe even a season ticket. .

17. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Good answer..Well, at least I can say that Queens is still the main target for a stadium they say, but also the most contested it seems.

18. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Although flawed I do recognize that NYCFC is the true realization of the MLS2NY campaign. I could make an argument that Doug Peterson and FCNY were more successful in realizing the stated original objectives of the BBs than the Cosmos ever plan on reaching.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

And why the Borough Boys get so much derision from many of us with no choice - and often no team.

Poor baby, have to pick from three teams. waaaaa, waaaaa, waaaa.

Seriously. This is your problem. In the United States? You have to pick from three professional soccer teams to attend and support.

aetraxx7 and looknohands repped this.
  20. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So we are just shut up and take what ever the almighty soccer gods give us? Sorry professional sports teams aren't a charity or something I'm obligated to give money to.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

But it's like "first world problems". Bitching about Starbuck's vs Whole Foods while half the world goes hungry half the time.

From 2000-2006 the closes professional soccer team from my house was a 2 hour drive. Today, it's still farther than the distance from Red Bull Arena to Hofstra.

Sorry if I don't seem particularly sympathetic.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  22. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Don't have to tell me. I'm a former NY Centaur, SI Viper, FCNY fan.. ;-)

23. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Now I've had a week to think about it your 2 hour trip one way to watch a sporting event is sooooo much worse than what I had to do from 3/02-3/08.. I mean how can training in such places such as Ft Sill or Ft Drum ever compare. I now understand how sitting in a air conditioned car with such thoughts of who will score during a game can be stressful. How can my experiences of being in an up armored Humvee in the sandbox ever compare ?

BTW from 95-01 my average trip to the see such glorious teams as the Centaurs, Rough Riders, SI Vipers and the Metros was in the 1:50-2:40 range.

24. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin

Queens is dead...you not get that memo a month ago when Garber called quits on MLS to Queens and hooked his horse to the Yankees and a cool 100 million for his bosses??

25. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin

Years? You mean like 2011 when Paul Kemsley owned the team? Have you not been paying any attention to what the new owners have been doing since last summer when the bought out that stooge and kicked to the curb?

Cosmos are a living breathing part of soccer history in this city, they have tradition and legitimacy that those other two brand marketing ploys could only dream of having. They are coming back, TO PLAY FOOTBALL and to build this club back up. This whole...just to sell kit false narrative needs to die..that is not and has not been remotely true since O'Brien and Sela took over and committed to organizing the football club again to play professionally.