Boro v. Liverpool [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by liverbird, Nov 15, 2004.

1. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stealing most of this from Suss:

---------Kirkland
    Finnan---Sami--JC---Djimmy
    ------------Didi
    --------Stevie--Xabi-
    --Garcia-------------Harry
    ----------Milan

Dudek
    Biscan
    Hoseme
    FSP
    Mellor

Hard to believe but this is an important game. Tough league games to follow, and this is three points we need to get away from home. It's the 10 am EST PPV game in the States and Canada.

2. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Our reserves knocked them out of the Carling Cup the other day, but we'll need to be prepared for a much tougher game this time around, despite all our senior players being in back the team. It will be a good test for us away from home... looking forward to it.

3. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thats the lineup I would go with too, although Benitez will probably choose Josemi. Riise will probably make the bench in place of either FSP or Mellor. Also, do we definelty no Gerrard is starting? He could start off on the bench if they don't think his fitness is good enough for a full match. Away against Boro is a tough match, but its the type of game that good teams win. Its about time we start playing like a good team on a consistent basis.

4. Welcome2Anfield

Welcome2Anfield New Member

Feb 7, 2004
    When is Nunez supposed to be back, Weren't him and Gerrard supposed to be back at the same time or was Nunez pushed back

5. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
    2 more weeks for Nunez. we should have him back for the Merseyside Derby.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I like this line up but someone has to play wide. I hope they know who.

All these matches going into the holiday season are "so" important. These will set the run in up to Easter then the top three will emerge to sort out the Championship and CL league qualifiers.

7. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not that PhysioRoom.com is authoritative, but it is posting 20 November for Nunez and has taken Gerrard off the "knocks" list.

8. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    yeah, i realy like the lineup,but would put risse in instead,since we have to wait till harry gets in some kinda form to get to the starting line-up(even if harry played quite okay against palace)

9. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    yeah,but they didnt play there full strenght side!!!they had parlour and viduka out,and they are very dangerous players!!! Only 6-7 players that played in the carling cup are from the starting XI

10. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Viduka played but you're excused if you thought otherwise since his impact was slight --- he did play Zenden in for what should have been a goal, it was JFH who didn't play :D

11. NC RED

NC RED Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Charlotte NC USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think that Traore and Finnan will start on the bench. Josemi who has had two Crap games in a row will start with Riise. Josemi because he was a Benitez buy and Riise because he likes his north south runs.

Either team looks good with Mr G. Cant wait.
    2-1 Liverpool Baros brace

12. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    With Baros out, my lineup would be the same, inserting Mellor up front.

---------Kirkland
    Finnan--Carra--Hyppia--Traore
    ------------Hamann
    --------Gerrard--Alonso-
    --Garcia-------------Kewell
    ----------Mellor

I think Mellor is more suited to playing a single striker than Pongolle is. Our midfield is capable of creating for him, and he can take a chance if it is presented to him. Unlike Milan, he won't create his own chances, but if he gets the ball in the box he knows how to find the back of the net. Neil Mellor is never going to get a better chance then this to prove himself, so he better take it.

We will also need Garcia, Kewell, and Gerrard to get themselves into good positions where they can score a goal. At times Gerrard can move to either wing so Kewell or Garcia can play up front. This is a crucial part of our season, so we need to get results despite our striking situation.

13. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We must have had a Vulcan mind meld as I agree perfectly.

14. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    ----------Kirkland-------------
    Josemi--Carra--Hyppia--Risse
    ----------Hamann------------
    -Garcia-Alonso-Gerrard-Kewell-
    -----------Mellor--------------

With nearly zero striking presence, Gerrard and Alonso should push up and hope Hamann can hold down the fort.

15. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida

bring Kewell or garcia a little up front

16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Not bad! There's a couple of big guns behind mellor that can drive forward or take a shot themselves.

17. Russian Scouser

Russian Scouser Red Card

Nov 17, 2004
    that Lundun
    The thing is - I think it was against 2nd half against Newcastle in the Cup last year, if my memory serves me right. Owen was on his own up front nominally but with le Tallec and Cheyrou pushing up from midfield. Creating an effect of almost 3 up front. It seemed very fluid and Newcastle defenSe could not keep up.

18. XabiAlonso

XabiAlonso New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    München
    There's a bit of a difference between having Michael Owen as the solitary striker and Neil chuffing Mellor.

19. Russian Scouser

Russian Scouser Red Card

Nov 17, 2004
    that Lundun
    I'll give the lad a chance but I do not expect us to score 5 tomorrow. :)

20. XabiAlonso

XabiAlonso New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    München
    No, you reckon 4 :confused:

I think we'll draw a blank tomorrow. We're going to get beat.

21. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to lose if they never see the ball (which, if our CM contains Gerrard, Alonso, and Hamann, is not too much of a reach.)

I think we are going to have several suprise results in these next 8 crucial matches, some good, some bad. I bet this one is a good surprise. . .

22. XabiAlonso

XabiAlonso New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    München
    I see what you're saying about the midfield and that's an area we should control, but we're not going to score any goals with no strikers. We have a terrible record up there anyway, and I fear the worst. I hope I'm wrong, obviously.

23. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    well,even if i realy like the formation ,i think the right side is a very big problem!!Boro mostly attack from the left side with downing and so on!!with josemi as a right-back and garcia so up front,i bet you anything they are going to score from there!! and i would much rather having kewell up front as a lone striker and have risse the the midfield!!!!melor is still not ready to play at this level,and im almost shure he wont have any kind of impact in the game!!(lets not forget he didnt play a good game against boro in the carling.cup,its true he scored the 2 goals in the last minutes,but he didnt have a great impact in general

24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I just love that confidence... :)

Either way and I won't make any predictions, it's going to be interesting to see how it pans out.
    I just hope Rafa is keeping up with us on here... :rolleyes: