Bornstein "I thought we did well for the most part"

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by aarond23, Jun 26, 2011.

1. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. mvktr2

mvktr2 New Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Mississippi
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Life - Better than theater for ole Bornstein!

Then again we did look pretty good except for one play by Howard, the disorganization of the back line, coaching decisions, central midfield, and ... uhhh.... oh yea you Bornie!

3. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bornstein sadly shoulders a lot of blame today. In the end it's Bradley's fault though for not organizing a counter tactic to mexico pounding our right flank

4. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, he really does not think he is playing that bad..

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I don't know why people are getting after Bornstein.

Bob has no strategic rotation for rosters or tournaments. He then brings in a player who hasnt played left back in 12 months as far as I know, against the best team in the region and expected what?

He should have gone 5 back and played counter. It would have been ugly, but it would have been correct. He should have protected Bornstein from this very outcome.

7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep Bob really screwed up there.

Bornstein is awful, but it was Bob's job to protect him and maintain the integrity of our backline.

He did not.

8. big4soccer17

big4soccer17 Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Bornstein is classless.

9. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His statement is utterly amazing! :eek:

10. mvktr2

mvktr2 New Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Mississippi
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam Ham, you're being fair (sort of) to the player and that's okay. However the guy looked how he looked, period. We all blame Bob a lot more than Bornie, we agree on that.

11. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Bob Bradley wanted to cynically grind out the rest of the game up 2-0, that would have been coaching brass balls and I actually would have applauded him for that. Yes it would have been ugly, but ugliness means nothing when you have a cup. Just ask Italy.

Bornstein screwed up, but I agree that Bob Bradley screwed up more. He never should have hung him out in that situation to begin with, just like Ream.

12. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    By 'we' does he mean Mexico? He certainly got the job done for them.

13. The Urban Legend

The Urban Legend New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bornstein needs to go to some remote corner of the world and disappear, he should take his buddy Bob with him too

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    No one got after JB more than I did during qualifying because he was playing regularly and was part of a rotation. That's on him, but as I said starting from Panama on, if there is no long term strategic rotation than you are not a tournament team, you are a one, maybe two game team.

15. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    He needs to be tied up in a hotel in Ciudad Juarez and have a note taped to him that says, "I am an undercover police officer"

16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Having gone to school in Ciudad Juarez for many years I can tell you 99% of the people there are wonderful, humble and hard working.

THey would just take him down, dust him off, give him some food and a beer and thank him for his 'performance' against el tri.

17. srock11

srock11 Member

May 29, 2006
    Clearly, he hasn't seen the film yet. Maybe he'll learn how to play cover defense. The guy is full of athletic talent and speed, but good lord he can't make up for terrible decisions in pursuing defenders and feints.

To be fair, he shouldn't have been put in the position, and possibly not even on the roster.

18. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    +1.

19. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you guys actually watch the game? From the moment Bornstein entered the pitch, every attack by Mexico came down our left side and he was out of position for most of them. Heck, for quite awhile in the second half Jones was covering the left side better than Bornstein.

Bornstein is an attacking defender who can't defender and loses the ball constantly when attacking. Bob's biggest mistake was not subbing Spector for Dolo. Instead he changed 2 positions on the back line for one player going down and we suffered for this mistake. I hope the next coach is much wiser and doesn't waste time with Bornstein again.

20. ShoelessMan

ShoelessMan In vino veritas!

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spector wasn't on the 18 man roster for the last few games, this one included, so that wasn't an option. BUT, with that being said, picking an 80 year old in a wheelchair out of the crowd and throwing bornstein's jersey on him surely would have been a better decision than trotting bornstein out there...

21. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've supported Bob's decisions with what he's done, but this continual call up of Bornstein has just been too much. I'll say that Bob was put in a tough position with the injuries that happened and he had to scramble filling in slots with a disorganized back line. However, this is why one puts Spector on the bench, because he can cover in multiple positions. This is where Bob blew it hard. Bornstein is one dimensional(with only a left foot) at left back and can't even play that position well.

All in all, it will be time for the USSF to sit Bob down and ask him to justify keeping some of these guys around who can't chew gum and walk at the same time. If he can come up with a solid explanation and promise not to bring Bornstein back in, then he can go forward. If not, then now is the time to make a switch and bring in Klinsmann.

22. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Subs not used: 2-Jonathan Spector, 7-Maurice Edu, 15-Tim Ream, 23-Marcus Hahnemann
    Head Coach: Bob Bradley

24. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He now has two places he'll never have to buy his own drinks again: Honduras and Mexico.

But he's done in this country. Good riddance.

25. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Yeah, Spector in for Dolo would have made a lot more sense. And, for a guy to say he thinks they did well after giving up four goals is just ridiculous. I'm pretty much just dumbfounded how anyone on or off the field could feel like they did well defensively. It was one of the poorest defensive performances I have ever seen for the US.