Boring ol' Georginio Wijnaldum Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by poopoobigelow, Jul 22, 2016.

1. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  2. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hope our next bit of business is signing this guy to a new contract.

[​IMG]

bayred and CB-West repped this.
  3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn’t look good at the moment.

4. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I wonder if we're waiting on his decision before moving (or not) for Thiago.

5. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    We definitely need to keep this guy.

delaynomo and speker repped this.
  6. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I love Gini and he's been a fantastic player for us (probably my favorite player since he arrived) - but do we really want to be hanging onto a player into his mid-30's when we should be looking to continue our dominance with a new generation instead of hanging onto the past? Say what you want about ol' red nose, he knew when to say 'enough' and let players walk and reinvigorate the team with new blood.

Again, as I've said ad nauseum, he's made no noises about wanting to extend.
    He'll be 31 when his contract finishes.
    He's a cultured man and has only ever played in his home country and England. The odds that he doesn't want to play in another country are slim-to-none.

7. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SamScouse repped this.
  8. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    One of the most tactically intelligent players in the world. A winger at PSV, an attacking midfielder at Newcastle, a goal scorer for country, and for us has played as a false 9, in a box-to-box role, in his trademark possession role, as a holding midfielder, and as a center back. Has been a great signing for us.

B.A., delaynomo and SamScouse repped this.
  9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    and all the while he is remarkably underrated. probably because of his versatility.

10. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    One of the key changes to this team and key to the turn-around in our fortunes, is that Klopp and the recruitment team have brought in highly intelligent footballers.

Please resign Gini!

11. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wingtips1, LiverpoolFanatic and B.A. repped this.
  12. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah - one of my favs...he just plays...his goals against Barca were beauuuutiiiessss!

13. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    understatement of the year.

15. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp on Wijnaldum: "We've had situations like this before, with Emre Can for example. He played and he gave his absolutely everything until the last day of his contract and Gini will do the same, no doubt about that. No harm to our relationship for ever."

16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    that kills the speculation, then.

17. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Sad to say but I think Gini will sign a precontract with someone in Jan. If he was ever gonna resign with us it would have already happened.

18. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    While there have been suggestions that #LFC have yet to offer Wijnaldum a new deal, the player and his advisers HAVE been presented with terms over a new 3-year contract. However, the financial remuneration is some way short of what Wijnaldum is hoping for.

This would represent a fair summation of where Liverpool and Wijnaldum are as they prepare to have a final push to find a new agreement. Liverpool believe the contract offer on the table is fair.
    -- Kevin Palmer(SundayWorld)

19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    just pay him ffs. are we in any kind of strong position to negotiate?

these days - apart from him - each of our senior midfielders have an expected shelf life of about 4 friggin games!

20. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #45 speker, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    I think the club has a pretty good track record with paying players good contracts. They've reportedly just offered Fab a new deal .There's no reason to suggest it's any different with Gini.
    Thing is Gini knows he can get an equally good deal elsewhere too but can also get a huge signing on fee to go with it.

I think we have to hope that Gini decides it's better to play here with one of the best clubs in front of the best supporters .

SamScouse repped this.
  21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #46 Red Bird, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Especially with a signing on fee.

I wouldn't blame him--m he would leave as league, champions league and world club champion. Not bad for a £23 million signing (that's looking a right steal, too.) Pity we can't seem to agree on a deal-- he's one of of those players which a top club needs.

22. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I have mixed feelings about the Gini situation. If Gini wants to leave, to try something else, and get paid more money we should all just be happy for him. He would leave the club as a legend. If he were to stay, he deserves to be paid just as much as the rest of our stars. If he is being offered less money, that would be insulting to the player who has been the most consistent performer in our midfield since he has been at the club.

The club also need to plan long term. We can't keep all of these players forever. Henderson and Milner are already ageing, but we are committed to them because they are the captains. We now have Thiago who will be 30 soon. Gini has a lot of miles in his legs, and while he shows no sign of slowing down, he must slow down at some point. The club might want that to happen on someone else's watch.

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you have nailed the issue right away. We can’t give every single player a new contract because they are great servants etc. we have to do some serious succession planning. If we give everyone anything they want - our finances will be decimated.

there are going to be a lot of unhappy fans with the turnover the next few years.

B.A. and speker repped this.
  24. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Classy moment yesterday when Hendo was subbed off late and gave the captain's armband to Gini...:thumbsup:

The team knows his importance as much as we do. ;)

SamScouse repped this.
  25. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I remember hearing about a vote amongst the players. Hendo is captain, Milner is vice captain, then Virgil, then Gini.

LiverpoolFanatic and CB-West repped this.