Borgetti's Debut II [R]

Discussion in 'Mexicans Abroad' started by Atlas10, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    oh well, i'd rather him play for a team that isn't trying to kill the game with their anti-football tactics.

bolton should fire big same and hire fat arena, it'd be a match made in heaven.

2. mphoenix

mphoenix New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Horwich, Bolton
    Yes, Bolton should fire Big Sam, he's only one of the best managers in the Prem, maybe even the world. He took a lowly Division 1 team, going nowhere, and in 6 years, he's got them in Europe.

LMAO. "scores". obviously referring to his Carling Cup goal.

3. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    apparently you arent familiar with sarcasm? anyways, a lot of teams could win, regardless of talent, if they did nothing but put 9 men in front of the goal and relied on the counter attack. it doesnt take a tactical genius to be able to think that up, only a coward.

note: this is disgraceful
    also note: the united states mens national team

4. mphoenix

mphoenix New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Horwich, Bolton
    I hope Borgetti goes in January.

That was £1 million well spent ¬_¬

5. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Has anyone thought that maybe Borgetti is just not that good? I was suprised when Bolton signed him, the only reason Bolton signed him was because he scored against Brasil and he scored twice against Germany. The guy had not done ANYTHING at the club level for the past year. He was playing so bad that LaVolpe didnt even call him up to the Confederations Cup. I was suprised about the childish scouting that Bolton did.

6. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Foolish post Solid...he is Mexico's all time scorer..thats gotta count for something

7. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He may be our leading scorer but I believe he will eventually be surpassed by Kikin. I happen to think Solid stated the truth. Some people can't handle the truth. He was playing like crap before the Confed Cup. The Confed Cup is the only reason he is playing over there. I can remember all the Borgetti bashing going on before the Confed Cup and his recent stint to Europe. It was almost unanimous.

8. mphoenix

mphoenix New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Horwich, Bolton
    Most sensible thing said on here from someone who isn't a Bolton fan

9. ezyM

ezyM Member

Jun 16, 2005

Solid...great point...i never thought of Borgetti as being Mexico's finest striker...heck, i dont like the fact that he is the max goal scorer for la Seleccion....I too was surprised when he got signed, but i figured that if they team him up with a player like el Pony Ruiz, then maybe he would succeed...One thing's for sure, he is Mexico's most consistent striker....

It should not be a surprise to big sam that Borgetti plays this way, This has always been his style of play....

10. AMW F.C.

AMW F.C. New Member

May 25, 2005
    Legion 1908
    Big Sam knows Borgetti's style of play. Thats why he only uses him in certain games where he feels the Borg can be effective. Thats why he's not a regular.

11. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!
    Alright kids lets get realistic here...I am hearing some absolutely sh1tty arguments & a lot of very decent, partial truths...but no one has put everything together in one realistic assessment:

1) Is Sam a good coach?

The answer is yes, he has turned Bolton into an effective, winning team from nothing....that says a lot, he is like the English Javier Aguirre.

2) Are we surprised that Bolton plays like a small team?

The answer is yes, the fact is we didn't know very much about EPL (other than watching the big teams in a Champions League final etc.,)...and we were all surprised by the huge gap in the playing style between the big teams & the minnows.

3) Is Borgetti effective within the Bolton scheme?

The answer is no. Without going into the discussion of whether he is a good player or not, the reality is the last match I saw him in....he failed at pressuring the opposing defenders & at winning and holding loose balls.

4) Can Borgetti adapt to Bolton's play?

The answer is maybe. On the one hand, he is the type of player that does learn new tricks, and most of what he needs is just a little more mental agility and confidence on the ball. On the other hand he isn't young.

5) Is Borgetti crap if he doesn't succeed at Bolton?

The answer is no. Many quality players never adapt to a particular team or league, but are very successful else where. Case in point, Michael Owen was a revelation in EPL but has don't much in La Liga and Beckham has been pretty mediocre (although he gets playing time because Real Madrid is trying to prevent the depreciation of their huge investment), and Veron tore up the Italian league and did nothing for Man Utd.

Taking everything in consideration I would say Sam is a great coach...but let's face it...he is used to coaching small teams and scavenging any points he can.

Maybe if he played with a more offensive line up then Bolton could be a more dominating squad & Borgetti could score 20 to 30 goals per year....but as long as Sam is bringing more success to Bolton then they have ever had....nothing is going to change.

So, with one last meaningless phrase...I would like to see Bolton play the following way:

Borgetti & Davies upfront...with Davies being responsible for the sacrifice & passes.

Diouf on the left, without too much defensive responsibility.

Nakata & Nolan in the center of midfield...Nakata would help support the right flank, while Nolan would move back to recover posession & support the center defenders.

Giannakopolous getting the job done in the entire right flank.

Ivan Campo behind Nakata & Nolan.

Three Centre Backs.

12. mphoenix

mphoenix New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Horwich, Bolton
    I agree with most of that, but you can't have 3 defenders i the Prem. It just doesn't work for some reason.

You're leaving out Gardner and O'Brien and Faye :eek:

Borgetti will play in January, unless he fvcks off somewhere. Because we have no Diouf or Okocha or Faye.

13. mphoenix

mphoenix New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Horwich, Bolton
    This would be my line up in January

Jaaskelainen
    Hunt Ben Haim N'Gotty Gardner
    Campo
    Speed O'Brien
    Davies Borgetti Stelios​

easy

14. Danck989

Danck989 Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Canada

Most of your points are accurate,at this point for a team like Bolton what's bening done regarding their style of play is acceptable as you said there seems to be no ambition to be more offensive as this is the best the club's done thus far.I really hope at some point Sam does go for an attacking mentality and play more offensively.

Just as a side note Owen did not fail to impress at Madrid the little playing time he received he scored a good amount of goals,but honestly having Raul who's the team's icon an Ronaldo what are the chances?

15. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Wait a minute, dsepite the Owen comment did you just write a half a decent post? :eek:

16. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    errr.. the absence of those players will not increase Jared's playing time because there's only two people he's in competition with; Davies and Vaz Te.

17. mphoenix

mphoenix New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Horwich, Bolton
    Yeah, but because of the absense of Diouf, Faye and Okocha the team will need to be shook around.

I've found a solution, though.

Jaaskelainen

Hunt-N'Gotty-Ben Haim-Gardner
    Campo

Speed-O'Brien

Stelios-Davies-Nolan​

18. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And that is most likely what will happen although I think we'll have a new signing in there.

19. FMF_LFP

FMF_LFP Red Card

Aug 19, 2005
    Piss Peru
    Any updates on skipper Keane ???? pretty sure there slim chances

20. mphoenix

mphoenix New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Horwich, Bolton
    Depending on where he is, it'd probably be O'Brien out of the team.

I forgot Nakata ¬_¬