Boom. Wilt Coming back for Chicago NISL team

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by lncolnpk, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Painted women at a fundraiser party.

loonixxx, SixKick and lethargytartare repped this.
  2. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    yeah, it's completely crazy to pine after a guy who brought us 6 trophies and a soccer stadium.

Have fun at the white party.

3. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Works for me.

[​IMG]

SixKick, skinut and HeyFireGO repped this.
  4. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or based on consumption, a physical age of 115.

bunge and HeyFireGO repped this.
  5. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing Jiggly would be all over that.

Jiggly_333 and Chris M. repped this.
  6. 3, . . . 2, . . . 1, . . .

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    lighten up Francis.

I was just poking a little fun because the only time you post anymore is to complain about stadium location. Oh well.

8. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Couple of quick points. The "MLS Snobbery" thing was a joke. Hence the little smiley face. As far as FIFA corruption, strap yourself in. If you support any part of soccer in America, then just wait for Sunil to go down in corruption flames with the rest of them. He has been incredibly invisible these days, hasn't he?

I don't support leagues, I support clubs. As I have said on this subject a few times, a new Chicago club is welcome to my support, if they earn it by building the right way. I'm just having fun with the possibilities behind a potential "new Sting" right now, but at this point, it is nothing more than a concept. Bringing Peter on board gives it much more potential in my mind.

As far as a "ridiculous push to be considered a first division league," call me an old softy, but I was a fan of the AFL. ;) You are too young to remember, but a ridiculous owner named Lamar Hunt started an American football league with the ridiculous notion of being the top league in this country. The Chiefs, Raiders, Broncos, Bengals, Patriots, Jets, Dolphins . . . are all the result of his "ridiculous" vision.

I have always thought that the best way to grow any sport is from the ground up. MLS went against that model. The league was very contrived and would have died on the vine if not for the commitment of Uncle Phil, Lamar and Bob Kraft. It was propped up and kept on life support for several years. Don't get me wrong. I do love MLS and I think they, and Don Garber, have done a fantastic job in growing a league, but that doesn't mean it wasn't contrived. NASL has much more of a grass roots feel to it. Clubs do come and go. Just heard that the Silverbacks are dead, in part because of the Traffic Sports thing you referenced. Good. My completely uneducated guess is that you will eventually have some consolidation of the top leagues. Right now, it is simply MLS cherry picking the top performing teams like Minnesota United, likely to be followed by Indy and San Antonio. From the USL side, MLS already plucked Seattle, Portland and Vancouver (was that technically the A-League at that point? I don't remember), and Sacramento is sure to follow.

None of this bothers me in the least. If done right, I will be Sting until I or they die. After following soccer in America all of these years, I wouldn't predict this, but I wouldn't bet against it either -- looking back 20 years from now, the Sting could be Chicago's team in the top league in the country or it could be one of two teams, or it could be dead and buried again. The Fire? I suspect it will be something. I think you lot will limp along for another 6-7 years until the new TV deal is within sight and Hauptman can begin valuing his asset based on that new deal. That will be the one that will jump the value closer to the half billion to billion range.

This is a chance at a properly run club in the City of Chicago. I'm comfortable letting it all unfold and I am not concerned with the league.

goldclover, eiki, Jiggly_333 and 3 others repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it, Cosmos has money and the brand is better known, yet even low budget Red Bull (resent LB) still draws way more. Don't underestimate MLSsnobs that would never support lower D soccer.

Chris M. repped this.
  10. abdi7451

abdi7451 Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The Sting tho? Not feelin that. I think MLS should take a hint, and collapse the Fire. Work with The Sting and NASL to bring em to MLS as the rebranded Fire. New logo, new ownership, Wilt, etc. Dreamland, maybe?

Jiggly_333 and xtomx repped this.
  11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Repped for use of "MLSsnobs!" I think I should trademark this. ;)

I'm not sure if the Cosmos have the money that you think they have, and frankly, I don't know much about the money backing the Sting revival, so stay tuned.

I did hear something interesting on Soccer Morning with Jason Davis this morning. I normally don't think much of his show, but I had the radio on at the beginning and he referenced a conversation that he had with PW this morning. I don't know if it were taped or not, and I wasn't in the car for much longer, so more may have been said than this. But what I did hear was something along the lines of, "if you expect the Sting to play in SF or in some small HS stadium, then you don't understand the plan. The plan is for a stadium within the City of Chicago, to be built and that can hold as many as 20,000.

So, he obviously got that from Peter. Can that happen? It does seem pie in the sky, however, you look at what he was able to build in a city like Indianapolis in just two years, and you have to wonder why he couldn't build something similar in a City that is four times the size? Especially if he can get permission to build in a good location and if the venture really does have money behind it.

12. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RedBulls performs a HELL of a lot better than the flicker (Fire)>

rooked, xtomx and Chris M. repped this.
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Wilt did leave before Indy11 secured their stadium, someone posted the I11 stadium funding request and the numbers did not seem to add up (on how stadium taxes would pay for the bonds).

I hope that I am wrong and they can build a nice (hopefully smaller than 20K) stadium with in city limits, but just like I do not play the lotto, I would not put money on it happening.

Chris M. repped this.
  14. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You can listen to his interview with PW from today: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/soccer-morning/id633517363?mt=2

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did the Cosmos, 2X NASL champs in 2.5 years and a bigger name DP than the Fire (Raul).

It is just that very few people pay attention to the NASL unfortunately.

Chris M. repped this.
  16. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and knowing the Indiana legislature, eventually they'll come up with something. Not what IN111 is asking for, but something they can work with.

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Ding, ding, ding. Of course, my greatest soccer support memories involve a little D3 team in San Francisco that punched way, way above its weight and had no one paying attention other than a little group of 50 really dedicated fans and a few hundred others that would show for games. So, if they are run properly, I will be in hog heaven even if no one pays attention. If I lived in NY, I don't know that I wouldn't follow the Cosmos over NYCFC (I would be one of those Hudson River Snobs that wouldn't support Red Bull, however).

18. thnkucomeagain

thnkucomeagain Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Fire brand isn't a problem. It's the owner.

goldclover, Feffery, bunge and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Tynitty

Tynitty New Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Considering the COSMOS play in Uniondale. I will take the attendance as it is. You realize that MLS had the worst ratings for a MLS CUP in a long time.

Also note that the original Oil Barron,before CFG, Lamar Hunt put a team in Dallas called Dallas Texans to compete directly against the Cowboys. This has been done before. The ABA vs NBA is also a good comparison. The MLS is a young league to think it's not going to have competition is just being naive.

HeyFireGO repped this.
  20. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's become the same.

xtomx and Chris M. repped this.
  21. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The way that MLS is picking off the well capitalized teams in the NASL and USL, I can see three scenarios for the Sting.

1. Somewhere down the line, the Sting becomes the second Chicago MLS franchise.
    2. If the NASL survives, the Sting stay in the NASL as a well run and supported D2 club.
    3. If the NASL does not survive, the team will either disappear or move to the USL because it is run well.

Personally, I would hate to see #1 happening. I used to and still love the Fire, but I cannot support it any longer the way Hauptman runs the damn thing. I would hate to see the competition because the Fire will lose if Hauptman is still in charge with Wilt at the Sting. I think the Fire will end up being like the Cubs and I don't want to wish that upon those that continue to support the Fire.

I think what I would like to see is the Sting folks buying out Hauptman and turning the Sting into the USL side. That would be a win-win for everyone involved.

goldclover repped this.
  22. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Chris M. repped this.
  23. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    A follow up on Sal's derogatory NASL post. I will admit that I didn't follow the league closely, but I spent a few minutes looking over the three new teams this year, and I got to admit, there are really interesting things going on in this league. Even if some are just PR stunts, at least they are fun. Miami FC, I kind of thought of as a joke, but look at their web page:

http://www.miamifc.com/home

They have their shit together way, way more than Beckham and his group. Paolo Maldini as an owner. Alessandro Nesta is the head coach. Of course, it is unclear if they have a stadium yet. :D

Puerto Rico FC is owned by Carmelo Anthony. :D Not a co-owner. The owner. How awesome is that.

Then, Rayo OKC (perhaps the worst name in sports) is owned by the Rayo Vallecano owner and a local who has several health care businesses.

Good stuff. ;)

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  24. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saeyddthe, thnkucomeagain, eiki and 3 others repped this.
  25. thnkucomeagain

thnkucomeagain Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Darth Jar Jar will happen

ratdog and Jiggly_333 repped this.