Boom! The Jurgen Klopp Thread II (KLOPP LEAVING AT THE END OF THE SEASON)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Navieko, Dec 13, 2019.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    interesting chat with Hendo, describing how Klopp reacts when things don't go well.

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Jürgen Klopp has said Liverpool must use their remaining matches to build a foundation for next season, insisting: “The future has started already.”

Although the Liverpool manager, whose side face Nottingham Forest at Anfield on Saturday, maintains that qualifying for Europe is this season’s priority, he is also planning ahead to avoid a repeat of its disappointments.

He believes Liverpool produced their best performance of the campaign when thrashing Leeds 6-1 on Monday and that the return of their counter-pressing prowess, plus the integration of new players, will ensure the final eight matches have a lasting benefit.

“Next season is already on my mind,” he said. “We have to build on what we learn now. What we learned this season, a lot, is how it doesn’t work out. From a counter-pressing monster to pretty much a nonexistent counter-pressing side. I thought that was far away to be honest but it was pretty quick. It was pretty much done.

“When it’s gone, it is for different reasons. Frontline defending was not great, midfield was not there. Very often in the last few years the discussion has been about our last line being too high, too risky. It has developed a little bit into that over the years. Now when we haven’t defended that well up front any more, all of a sudden the last line was too high but we realise that too late. So how do we stop that if we don’t defend up front too well? Now we know how it doesn’t work, which is good. It is important information. Finally we know.”

As well as tactical improvement, Klopp expects Liverpool to benefit from a quieter schedule in the coming weeks and, longer term, the adaptation of Darwin Núñez, Luis Díaz and Cody Gakpo.

“We have more time in this period that we don’t normally have because we usually play every three days and I want to really use this training time to create something which we can build on and use,” he said. “How to play with it and bring the boys together. Lucho [Díaz] was here for half a year, was sensational and then he was injured until recently. Now we have time to bring him, step by step, back into the team. Darwin came in a year when, had it been two or three years ago when we were absolutely flying, it would have been a pure joy for a striker because each ball was ending up in the box. So he can get more used to all the things we do, which is the same for Cody.

“The future has started already, let me say it like this, but while we are here we have to win football games now. If we don’t qualify for any European competition it would be a massive disappointment but we should make sure we don’t waste time during this period. I hope we can take some things from this season which are more useful than just telling us it was the wrong way.”

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  3. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    if we'd had the season we all (realistically) expected - i.e. without the damned injuries - he'd be above Shanks on that list.

B.A. and newterp repped this.
  5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe our home record is quite good this season though - 1 loss? A couple of draws? But between this season and 20/21 - yeah he'd have been ahead of Shanks easily.

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    true - just seems a hell of a lot worse.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    big surprise .... the UK media really want to hound him out ....

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has been charged by the Football Association for his comments about referee Paul Tierney after his side's 4-3 win against Tottenham on Sunday.

8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    now this is (seriously) surprising - the bbc giving a list of the way Tierney's decisions have routinely gone against LFC over the past few years ....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65464197

In 2020 Tierney reportedly told Klopp to "get over it" after the referee admitted he had missed a foul on Georginio Wijnaldum in a game against Aston Villa.

Tierney was also in charge of a Liverpool game at Tottenham in December 2021 when Spurs striker Harry Kane escaped a red card before Liverpool left-back Andrew Robertson was dismissed. The match ended in a 2-2 draw which resulted in the Reds losing ground to Manchester City in their Premier League title fight.

Tierney was also the referee when Everton were denied a late penalty in a 1-0 defeat by Manchester City in February 2022. City midfielder Rodri appeared to control the ball with his arm and, while Tierney and video assistant referee Chris Kavanagh did not deem it worthy of a spot-kick, former PGMOL head Mike Riley later apologised to the Toffees for the decision.

Liverpool went on to miss out on the Premier League title by one point to City that season.

In January this year after a loss to Brentford, Klopp said he had approached the officials - including Tierney - to discuss decisions made during the game.

"That's exactly the same as I would talk to my microwave, you get no response, really, it's always the same," he told beIN Sports.

Earlier this month, Tierney booked Liverpool's Robertson after an incident involving assistant referee Constantine Hatzidakis.

9. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    So, these incidents may have been purely random, but even the appearance of bias (which this surely is) should be sufficient justification to avoid assigning Tierney to any future LFC matches.

speker, soccershaggy and SamScouse repped this.
  10. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And why not just do that? No need to "announce" any decision on that, just do it quietly and everyone is happy?

bayred repped this.
  11. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hmmm, will the FA investigate this?

delaynomo repped this.
  12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    hahahaha .... love it .....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65650176

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has suggested he will only pay his £75,000 Football Association fine if the money goes to "a good cause".

The German said he would "like to know" and "if it does, I'm happy to pay it. If it doesn't, we need to talk again".

el-capitano repped this.
  13. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  14. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The training gear this season is pretty nice.

Red Bird and speker repped this.
  15. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Watched all 5 parts of the Anfield Wrap feature Juergen! Wow, those lads did some really fine work and the production is professional quality. Every LFC fan should watch as it's free on YT. Also finished Honigstein's bio Bring the Noise which greatly compliments the series. Honigstein should do an update to his book because it was written before CL & EPL glory.

soccershaggy, newterp and el-capitano repped this.
  16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aye, I'll be getting myself something the season.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  17. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    https://www.football365.com/news/kl...erpool-two-targets-met-boss-private-admission

This is not good news.

18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SamScouse repped this.
  19. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    This particular report may well be some of their standard b.s., but I can't imagine Klopp is really happy with the financial support he's (not really) been given over the past few years of squad transition.

20. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Jurgen privately admitted it to his wife’s hairdresser. Got to be true.

21. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Jurgen Klopp has surpassed Alex Ferguson's record of 16 stoppage time winners in Liverpool's win over Crystal Palace on the weekend.

> Jurgen Klopp - 17 from 312 matches.
    > Alex Ferguson - 16 from 810 matches.