"Boniek García of the Dynamo has a problem, he earns little but plays a lot."

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by brahmafutbol, Mar 7, 2013.

1. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure exactly what his point is here.... is he suggesting the Dynamo are treating him unfairly? Does he think Boniek should be unhappy? I haven't heard anyone suggest the team should pay him more, though I'm sure everyone agrees he's worth more and is a great value.

http://futbol.univision.com/estados-unidos/mls/video/2013-03-07/oscar-boniek-garcia-gana-poco

The video is in Spanish. He compares the salaries of the "big" stars of MLS, like Henry, to Boniek's, and says the size of their paycheck doesn't equate to their success or the success of the team. Agreed, but I'm not sure I like his tone. Why is it a "problem?" I think it just shows the wisdom of Dom and the team. Boniek might not have had the same success at, say, NY or LA, even if he made twice the money.

2. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Plus it is relative. Stars like Henry that come from leagues with no caps and extreme spending will always command more simply due to their market value. OBG comes from a smaller league with smaller money and his market value is less. Holden is another example. Had he come up in the Premiership youth system (straight through anyway), his first major contract would have been substantially more than coming from the US.

brahmafutbol repped this.
  3. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. I just don't like the way he says Boniek has a problem. I wish I had his problems. :)

4. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just starting up controversy.

But If it comes to it

PAY HIM CC!

5. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Just wait till Ortiz hears about this.

cougarclaws repped this.
  6. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can write a serious post like i did on Facebook for friends or I can just ******** around like I usually do here. Decisions...decisions...I'm going to keep it short.

Does he deserve more? Yes. However, the same can be said about most of our players. As a friend said, "He plays for a working class team. They all should be making more. Thankfully they play their hearts out for us even though they're underpaid."

7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Well, of course he's worth more and we have found great value in him...but he also signed a contract and its our prerogative to play him as much as we want while he's under that contract. Once it expires he'll get his payday. Did Univision also write an article about Wondo not making shit last year despite scoring 27 goals? No. He waited, and was rewarded...the same will happen for Boniek.

Plus, the dude looks more than happy to me.

footyfool and JC507 repped this.
  8. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly what I wrote on Ponces stupid Facebook status.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  9. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahahahahaha! That Facebook status took a weird turn whenever somebody posted Garrincha doesn't compare to Henry.

10. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact is that Boniek is way to good to be playing in MLS. Here is a guy that comes from very humble beginning, is a hard worker and has the potential to make millions, something that MLS cannot do or does not want to do for him. Him and his family deserve to make as much money as he can. If we can get Boniek to play for us one more full season, I'm a happy camper. I'm afraid a team will come in the summer and take him. I know he is under contract, but $$$ talks and when you have an owner that is not local and cares more about another team than keeping players at the second team then we will continue to have issues. Just recently AEG said that the best (another DP) is yet to come for the Galaxy. Funny that i never heard anything alike for their second team. If this doesn't make your blood boil, i do not know what will. This kid can play all over Europe and will bring it, no doubt about it. He is a big time bargain at 4-5 million dollars. Even a Mexican team can come and buy him.

11. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    There is so many things wrong with this thread/story, I don't know where to begin:

1. It's Boniek's job to take care of Boniek. He could have said no, not enough money and/or negotiated better personal terms on his behalf. It's not Houston/MLS's fault that they scouted the Honduran league better than any other team in the world and paid his transfer fee and negotiated and signed him to a contract for which he agreed.

2. The salary information used is last years information and is only based on a half season. I would imagine from what I have read that Boniek is making closer to DP money this year (350-400k). We won't know for sure until the union releases this years salary information.

3. How much was he making in Honduras? Where was all this concern for Boniek and his value when Olympia was paying him even less and were not allowing him to be transferred to Houston a year or two ago when Kinnear first wanted him. Had he transferred two years earlier like Houston wanted he would already be in Europe.

4. Someone may come for him this summer, so Houston should be ready if someone does. My guess is that is partially why they signed Driver. But let's not forget, Boniek is 28 years old now. While he is one of Houston's best players, European teams may not pony up enough transfer fee money for a 28 year old who had not played in Europe before. It may be too big of a risk for the transfer fee Houston/MLS may want. That's not Houston's fault or MLS's fault though.

5. Is he paid what Henry is making? Of course not. But I don't exactly remember Boniek competing on the world's biggest stage and producing ever in his career. Market value is dictated by what others are willing to pay for your services, not by your productivity. If Henry is the standard, why aren't they worried that Wondolowski who outproduced Henry last year is making what he is making compared to Henry?

DonJuego and JC507 repped this.
  12. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right! I forgot that the salary was based on half a season! He's actually making what I want him to make then! Hell yeah! Cool shit.

13. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, quit worrying about Boniek's summer move. He wants to play for Philly Union because he can eat all the Bimbo bakery goods for lifetime. He wants Union.
    (snapping out of a dream)

All seriousness, what an awesome player and you guys are lucky that he is playing in a Houston shirt. Enjoy his presence while you have him.

Heft, troutseth and brahmafutbol repped this.
  14. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main thing is he's happy, Houston's happy, that's all that matters for now. The Univisión.com guy that thinks he has a problem has his own problem.

JC507 repped this.
  15. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting my tinfoil hat on: It sounds like some Liga MX/ Mexico media sabre rattling to create some money/transfer drama should he be open for transfer to a bigger club in Liga MX. Planting the seeds of greed tactic that UEFA clubs/media are notorious for. Heck, we got Gareth Bale to Real Madrid stories cropping up. If that is not tampering, then I don't what it is.

16. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    That is exactly what it is....this isn't about Europe, this about a Liga MX team coming to make a play at Boniek.

17. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Billy has got it right. It is just stirring the pot. The Dynamo kept after a player when most clubs had given up negotiations with his club. They brought him in to a good situation, gave him the opportunity to shine and paid him the typical league rate. Not sure how a player could ask any more.
    Plus lets not forget, we have only had him for 1/2 of a season. As great as it has been, he hasnt even played a full year outside his home league.

18. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    LOL at this thread!

I think it's a case of peeps not comprehending the newscaster and imagining the worst. Basically saying hes a bargain and its shame that in 5 months has been more productive than other stars that have charged millions. He's not saying he has the status of those said stars.

Lets enjoy Boniek while his here, because he won't be here for long. Like borrachin said don't be surprised if a Liga MX team takes notice with his CCL play.

Rosetta Stone can be your friend!

19. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was about to say the same thing Rey. People are looking for a conspiracy that's not there. Kasanzew isn't with the Mexican League, he's with Univisión out of Miami. I don't like him saying Boniek has a problem, but I really don't think he's into a plan to get him to a Mexican team....

20. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he didn't say "Houston, we have a problem." Or did he?

21. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but they did have a big sign that said that when we played in Cancún.

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Media folks=if it bleeds it leads

23. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess would be that should Boniek have the year that everyone is expecting from him the Dynamo would market him in Europe. Our uncommitted owners (not AEG but the Boxer and his developer pal) made an investment in a transfer fee and are expecting to realize a return. That only happens by selling Boniek on and he has shown the quality that can succeed in Europe. As said by others, if Boniek continues to show the same quality as last summer then he will be a bargain in Europe while pumping profit and allocation dollars in the Dynamo treasury.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  24. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    He thinks he doesn't make enough? Ask for a raise just like anybody else would.

Univision is creating drama where it doesn't exist.

25. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not UNIVISION they don't do that!
    Nor do they have GOSSIP shows on every channel!
    These are all lies! :eek: