Bonfrere reveals at last...

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Elliad, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    on why he persists using Lee YP on the right.

http://news.naver.com/sports/index....mode=view&office_id=139&article_id=0000000027

Basically after Song CG got injured he thought there was no suitable WB to cover the right flank, other than Lee YP. Lee YP can use both feet well but is a natural right-footer, and as there is a decent LB in Kim Dong-Jin it was deemed best to move Lee to the right.

I thought this was quite obvious, as although many criticised Bonfrere for using Lee on the right, there never was a well-proven RB to replace Song CG. But this also shows that there is a need to unearth decent RBs from K-league before it's too late, as the NT can't rely on just Song CG and Lee YP forever.

2. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    oh, and I hope he follows up with why he's not using Lee EY next :)

3. forzakr

forzakr New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The EAFF tournament is just the opportunity to test some raw talent on the right side:)

4. sac517

sac517 Member+

May 23, 2005
    maybe boner should try being teh RB himself....either him or lee min sing...god i love that guy

5. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    I would like to hear why he took so long to get PCY some KNT playing time. [​IMG]

6. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    well, he did say that Park seemed physically too fragile to play in the senior level.

7. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Park Kyu-sun was always there to play right wingback, but I don't blame Bonny for not using him. fact that he played Lee YP on the right was for an obvious reason.

Park KS is nice on offense because of his ability to burn the other team's LB with his speed, but he can't put up any decent cross to save his life. his defense is also skeptical as I saw him during the LA training camp.

Bonny should try using Oh Bum-seok. the guy has been one hell of a defender for Pohang this season. not to mention that Pohang has the best defense in K-League this season with their allowed goals. trying to use a best defender from a best defensive club wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Pohang had the least allowed goals among all K-League teams before the FC Seoul match, but I don't know what happened after they allowed 4 goals.

8. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Some of the possible candidates are:

Park Kyu-Sun
    Park Jin-Sub
    Cho Won-Hee
    Choi Sung-Yong (a bit old, at 29 yrs old)
    Kim Yong-Hee

9. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Park Jin-sub again? no thanks.

10. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    I totally agree with you about Park Kyu Sun, his speed is incredible and plays nicely on the wing... his defence is alright yet his crosses are uglay

11. forzakr

forzakr New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Your wish is granted. Oh is in for the EAFF squad.

Too bad he left out Cho Won-hee. If you've seen some Suwon matches, he will make Song earn his paycheck once he recovers from his injury and personal termoil. Cho just runs the heck outta opponants and his crosses are not that bad. Not too sure about his defensive skills though.

Maybe HJ can add some additional info

12. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know youre just joking but KNT would be better off putting a 170lb boulder in that general area.

13. nam.c

nam.c New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    UK/Switzerland
    Oh yea what happened to Choi sung-yong? He was a regular back in the days. And he's not THAT old. suddenly became **********?

14. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    This is off topic but ...

K:theCore, were you joking when you voted for Korea to be the most likely to be the laughing stock in WC2006 in an AR thread? You got some explaining to do, buddy. :eek:

15. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Only half joking.

I have to be perfectly honest, I havent been overly impressed with our World Cup campaign and Ive made it a goal of mine to be truthful to myself as well as to others whenever possible. I think Im still scarred from 1998 Paris. Holland in particular.

We dont play well away and if we continue along this path...something needs to be done.

What Im most concerned with is that we dont have any true leaders on this team...No Hong...No Hwang.... Im hoping Kim Nam Il can be that guy but Yoo Sang Chul just seems to scare the shiet out of the other players.

Hoping for the best but Im prepared for the worst.

16. cha doo ri

cha doo ri Member

Jul 17, 2004
    L.A.
    yes choi sung yong must be given another shot...park jin sub sucks...i think lee ki hyung should be given another shot....

17. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I dub thee the official Korean BS Pessimist... ;)

There's still a year to go yet, so plenty of time for things to turn around :)

18. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hope youre right. You have to admit there hasnt been a whole to be optimistic about in the last year or so.

19. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
  20. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ditto

it wasn't like Hiddink showed anything better than Bonny when there was a year left to go before the 2002 World Cup.

21. sebcoe

sebcoe Red Card

Jan 14, 2005
    Maybe not in results, but definitely in other areas like tactical versatility, offensive-mindedness, and their psychological edge.

2 goals over two legs against Maldives? To be fair, the first leg was under Coelho, but they were rather powerless in the second leg too. If we aren't pounding these opponents by five goals at least, then we are definitely doing something wrong. Hiddink by comparison, lost usually because he was experimenting or because he was putting the team through gruelling training as part of a heavily periodized program aimed at reaching the highest peak condition for the World Cup. I think Hiddink would definitely have done better if he had to coach WC qualifying games.

Bonfrere, on the other hand, is said to be recalcitrant to try new things. And when things weren't working against Saudi Arabia and Uzbekistan, did he make any half-time changes in tactics? Hiddink was adaptable to both team needs and also to opponents they were facing.

And Bonfrere lacks confidence in his players. The last Uzbekistan match was almost a must-win situation if they didn't want to leave qualification until the final game against Saudi Arabia. But he told the players to play safely, and they sure did that - they played absolutely tentatively and fearfully!

And before the Saudi match the players were even instructed not to practice throughballs, for fear the the Saudis might prepare for them. I don't see how you can succeed when game tactics, and even practices, are based on a fear of losing.

22. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    it's easier said than done. now that Hiddink era is over, people talk as though they never criticised Hiddink and say that he 'showed promise' even when we lost. yeah, so much for showing promise that we tied against teams like Cuba. :rolleyes:

at the end, it's not like Bonfrere didn't get any results we were looking for. our goal was to qualify for the World Cup, and he did just that.

to be honest, Bonfrere's time to start experimenting different things start NOW, and I'm prepared for few months of worse disasters as long as some of our young players are learning through experience so that they can be ready for Germany.

and remember that you aren't really there at the practice to see how Bonfrere trains our players. so, I don't think you have the right to say "he didn't make the players do this and that".

23. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Choi was, in my humble opinion, Suwon's (second) best player in the 2004 Championship season (after Lord Urumov) and I've said for a very long time that any international recall couldn't come a minute too soon as he's still a cracking player.

Forzakr is right that Cho Won-hee looks like being a relatively decent prospect too, and his time will come pretty soon.