Bocanegra, Dempsey, Keller: Fulham v Tottenham | 09-01-07 | 10 a.m. EDT

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by tambo, Sep 1, 2007.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stefanović has looked terrible to me but it's understable since he was just thrown in there with limited training time to gel with his new backline. Spurs have recognized this and gone straight at him. It puts Boca in a bad position because he's had to clean up a few things and it's caused him to be out of position a bit. Boca hasn't had the best half but h's done ok. Dempsey has looked alive moving freely in the midfield. A couple of deft touches, some nice passes, and a fantastic finish. Someone needs to work off him and they could maybe, just maybe threaten Spurs again. Spurs have looked shaky the back but have been bailed out since they had 65% of the possession.

2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    They seem a schizophrenic bunch from the little I've read on their official messageboard. During preseason they were hailing him as one of the most talented players on the team, and two games into the season they were claiming he wasn't cut out for the Premiership (although I guess those two statements aren't mutually exclusive).

3. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He even kissed his wedding band a la Bake after he scored.

Got to give the Deuce some credit. After missing that sitter a few weeks back, he has really stepped up and filled the gaping hole in goal scoring that Fulham has when McBride went down. Very impressive.

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This really has nothing to do with Clint, since I think he's been the best Fulham player so far this half (and therefore not the first guy you'd likely pull), but my god is Bouazza useless. With some guys, even when they play bad you can kinda see the idea behind the guy anyway (Freddy Adu is like this). But with Bouazza, what precisely is it he's supposed to bring to the table? Speed? Sure, but then Justin Gatlin could do that and he's currently available.

I hate to pick on the guy, but I haven't seen him do anything yet. Chris Baird is probably happy Bouazza's out there as it draws some of the attention away from him. Stefanovic has played well, but it appears he might be a touch slower than Berbatov.

If McBride plays his cards right, he could be manager of this team before long. :D

5. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Yeah, but if you are a Fulham fan, you have to be very scared of Stefanovic.

On the goal, he had 7 or 8 yards on Berbatov. Over the space of 20 yards, Berbatov was blowing by him with distance.

When you are THAT slow, you are going to get torched by defenses. Boca is fast by comparison. If I'm taking on Stefanovic 1 v 1 (which Fulham has to pray doesn't happen), I'm pushing the ball in space and running right by him. Because he certainly isn't going to catch me.

There was a reason why he sat on Portsmouth's bench, after all..

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the high line really a good idea for Fulham? Is it something they've been doing in all of their games so far? Wouldn't they need more speed in the back (all around) than they have* to recover when someone slips in behind so how is it a good idea? Sure, a high line compacts the field and further packs a midfield but it relies upon familiarity w/ each other. I'm not thinking this defensive line has that right now.

*I have yet to see Fulham play this year so I don't know 1st hand that their entire defense is slow. But when have such small details stopped a bs poster from making gross generalizations?

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pretty typical though for all fans, isn't that.

8. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont know how much crucifixion there was... it was a chance that he needed to bury under the circumstances. you call it like you see it... i still loved deuce, but you gotta say what you see. i don't think my views or opinions on here would be useful if they were always sugarcoating a yanks contribution

that's what's key to being an average professional athlete compared to an exceptional one... your ability to respond... do you let ********ing up get to you? or do you improve upon it? as we've seen, dempsey's been awesome since then

9. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    is Deuce married?

if not, that's a brilliant celebration/tribute

10. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Chicago
    He just got married this summer, I believe. And Voros is OTM about Bouazza. I haven't seen that guy do much of any worth so far this season, let alone this game.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. he was married right before the start of the season.

12. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baird and Bouazza may be the two worst regulars in the Premiership. I give Baird the edge, though - he makes up for his flagrant lack of skill with an even more eye-popping lack of pace.

13. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Total jailbreak, Bale puts it away instead of giving Berbatov an empty netter.

15. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    3-1 Spurs .....Bale

16. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Baird is useless. He needs to never play for Fulham again.

Gareth Bale on the other hand is awesome.

17. E Diddy

E Diddy Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Hutto, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw the goal- thx for posting- looks like he's getting his fire back. I'm in my first year of marriage as well. It's a big thing. Focus can be hard to come by...good for you Clint, and good for your manager as well. That will not be forgotten by Sanchez. I hope he gets another one. He'll be a starter for the intermediate term if he does.

And of course, right when I hit submit- Spurs score again. :(

18. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Baird, I believe, was completely out of position on that one. Nice ball by Keane, but Baird was hung out to dry.

19. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Gareth Bale - write that name down for future reference...

20. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Carlos not exactly covering himself in glory there.

21. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might have prevented Niemi from handling outside the area though.

22. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    When I guy is 10 yards off in a passive offside position and there is a breakaway and he starts charging towards goal creating a 2 on 1 breakaway instead of a 1 v 1 breakaway, how can that still be considered passive? Niemi had to take him into when charging Bale

23. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for uncovering him for us, detective.

24. ShadowNC

ShadowNC Member

Apr 25, 2001
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Dafoe on for Keane. Keane looks like he wants to kill someone for being taken off. Can't say I blame him the way Fulham is looking defensively right now.

25. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do short corners ever work?