Boca Juniors vs Newells Old Boys, May 23 (r)

Discussion in 'Boca Juniors' started by argentine soccer fan, May 21, 2013.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Boca plays Newells at la Bombonera for the opening leg of the quarterfinals.
    [​IMG]VS[​IMG]

Thursday May 23
    21:30 (Hora Argentina)
    Stadium: Boca Juniors
    Ref: Mauro Vigilano

VAMOS BOCA!!!

2. EnglishBostero

Mar 21, 2011
    Accrington
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why do we always have to play the second leg away from home?

3. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    It's based on seeding, isn't?

4. EnglishBostero

Mar 21, 2011
    Accrington
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So surely boca should be seeded higher than newells and have advantage of playing the second game at home?

Its just really annoying that boca never seems to have that advantage

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The teams are seeded based on how they finished in their respective groups. Boca and Newells both finished 2nd in their group and had the same number of points. But Newells is seeded higher because of a better goal difference...by one goal.

6. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    And they deserve that higher seeding as well ... ;)

Gonna be fun Thursday night, who knows what to expect from Boca.

What bothers me is the 3 games in a row during the course of a week.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, by just one goal. I suppose every goal counts in La Copa. :D

Looking ahead, the winner of this series has the following possibilities:

1) If Tijuana beats Atletico Mineiro, it would play Boca or Newells in the next round. That's true regardless of any other scenario.

2) If Atletico Mineiro beats Tijuana, it would play Boca or Newells in the next round, unless...

3) If Fluminense beats Olimpia, and both Brazilian teams advance, then the two Brazilian teams would face each other, and Boca or Newells would play the winner of Real Garcilaso vs Independiente Santa Fe.

So, lots of options, thanks to the obtuse rules.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Playing at home, it looks like Bianchi will change the 4-4-1-1 formation he used in Brazil against Corinthians, back to the more aggressive 4-3-1-2. The only change would be Burrito Martinez as forward in place of Sanchez Miño. Riquelme is healthy and will be the enganche. Erviti and Blandi are recovering from minor ailments and will most likely play.

Probable starting lineup (4-3-1-2):

[​IMG]

VAMOS BOCA!!!

9. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If I were to bet on the games I'd say Mineiro, Flu, and Santa Fe win, leaving the winner of this against Santa Fe. That to me seems most practical. Logic would have Newells winning this because they have a great squad, but pregame logic doesn't get you far. Weird part is the only one ill be emotionally invested in is the shitty one on Sunday. They should both be great games though.

10. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    I would much rather see Erbes take Somoza's place, and slotting JSM into his place. Although I will admit there is a certain appeal about the possibility of bringing JSM off the bench, as needed.
    So, here's a question...
    Has Bianchi pretty much written off Silva (and Viatri to a lesser extent)? Not that I have anything against Blandi, but he's not most convincing to me. Beast in the air, but I can think of two major missed opportunities he had in the last match...gotta put away at least one of them.

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When Bianchi came, it seemed like the striker pecking order was 1.Silva 2.Viatri 3.Blandi. Bianchi reportedly even spoke to Blandi and told him that he was not in the plans and would be welcome to look for alternatives if he chose to. However, because of how they've played -and I presume also based on how they do in practice- it seems like Bianchi now turned it around. 1.Blandi 2.Viatri, 3.Silva. Seems like Bianchi lost confidence in Silva.

I think it's not so much that Blandi has been great, but that Silva and Viatri have been disappointing so far. But Blandi has been decent enough, in my view, compared to the other two. He's missed some chances, but he does seem to be putting himself in better position and getting more chances than the other two. It appears that now it's his job to lose.

12. EnglishBostero

Mar 21, 2011
    Accrington
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Blandi misses a lot of chances, but then out of the blue he scores two goals, or grabs a last minute winner. Silva hasnt been brilliant but his goal record isnt too shabby, id play silva ahead of viatri who is just awful right now.mi wanted it to work with viatri after he waiting so long being palermos understudy but its clear now that it isnt going to work.

Wheres palacios? Havent heard much of him recently.

Its 2045 here so time to get some sleep, wake up at 0130 and then stay up and go to work. ITS ZOMBIE TIME!

13. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    You're right on the money. I'm just at a complete loss as to how Silva could have shown so little. Viatri was just beginning to hit his strides, I think, when he got hurt last year. He's just never recovered what he had going.

14. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Great! Looks like FSC won't be showing this match until tomorrow, electing to go with the Tijuana match of course. Time to hit the steams.

15. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That sucks but I guess for FSC it makes sense. Mexican team playing will probably get them some more viewers than two Argentine clubs even if one is El Rey in Boca and the other un equipo chico (waits for cigar city:D). Hopefully the streams won't be crap.

16. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Yeah! The sad thing is that some of the streams are higher quality than FSC anyway.

17. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Come on, Boca. Gotta get something out of this sustained pressure.

Dale boca!!!!

18. RIQUELME10

RIQUELME10 Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Good first half performance.We just need that bit of quality in the final third.We are controlling the game well.

19. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Agreed but you HAVE to get a goal there. You can't expect Newells to look that out of sorts for a full 90 minutes, although most of the credit goes to what Boca was doing to them.

20. RIQUELME10

RIQUELME10 Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Yeah always worrying when you don't punish a team when you have the chance.10 mins into the 2nd half and Newells are playing better.

21. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Yup...
    Blandi straight at the keeper...and now Martinez straight at the keeper.
    In other news, surprisingly, Somoza is having a PARTIDAZO!!! Shows how much I know for not wanting him in the starting lineup :)

22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What a save by Orion! Tremendous volley by Scocco.. what a goal that would have been.

RIQUELME10 repped this.
  23. RIQUELME10

RIQUELME10 Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Yeah Somoza is playing really well surprisingly!Orion brilliant as usual with a great save! Roman is not really featuring 2nd half lets hope he can summon up one bit of energy for a moment of magic!

24. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Scocco had not done much, but in just that one play, he tells you all you need to know about his worth as a player.

Moishe and locoxriver repped this.
  25. Bostero818

Bostero818 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So many wasted chances that I want to strangle Riquelme come on :mad: