Boca Juniors at Corinthians, May 15 (r)

Discussion in 'Boca Juniors' started by argentine soccer fan, May 13, 2013.

1. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    As the nets were bursting last night from Roman's goal, and I was still in disbelief that he could have scored from that angle, I could not help but think about an amargo friend of ours who just a few days ago said that Bianchi & Roman were embarrassing themselves out there every week.

Moishe repped this.
  2. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was cautiously optimistic about Roman playing more of a forward role in the 4-4-1-1 but he was very effective and by having the midfield we had it made it impossible for Corinthians to crowd him in the midfield. I watched the match again and was really impressed with everyone's movement without the ball. I think that alone made it very difficult on the Brazilians in regards to being able to mark our guys with multiple men.

In other news, Riber Blate won the television ratings last night.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Interview with Riquelme. Nice read.

Riquelme: "Bianchi me enseñó a ganar en Boca"

El enganche destacó el trabajo de sus compañeros, defendió a Bianchi de las críticas recibidas en las últimas semanas y elogió a Newell's, el próximo rival en la Libertadores.

http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1582728-riquelme-bianchi-me-enseno-a-ganar-en-boca

Grande Román, what a class act!

Siempre_Albiceleste repped this.
  4. el-torero

el-torero Member

Aug 10, 2011
    malaysia
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    translation in english?

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's late now, but I'll translate it for you when I have the time. It's the least I can do for a fellow Boca and Riquelme fan.

6. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
  7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Here you go:

"On the goal was lucky: I crossed the ball and it went into the upper corner." This is Juan Roman Riquelme, who scored the goal in the 1-1 draw against Corinthians that advanced Boca to the quarterfinals of Copa Libertadores. He is the team leader and allows himself a bit of false modesty, but his performance in Sao Paulo brought to life a xeneize team that needed this key result to keep alive a semester in which the reality had fallen far short of expectations. The playmaker highlighted the work of his teammates, defended Bianchi from the criticism he received in recent weeks and praised Newell's, the next opponent in Libertadores. After his exit following the July 2012 loss in the final to the same Timao, in May 2013 the only sure thing is that he wants to continue winning.

- What is your analysis looking back to the game?

-We had to run a lot to be able to eliminate the favorite, but what’s important is not just that we advanced, but that we also played well.

- How much does a win like this one help you emotionally?

-The group, the players, the coaching staff, the front office and the fans, we all needed this moment of joy. We were very confident that we could do well. We enjoyed the first half and we knew the second half would be difficult. But there are fourteen matches in Copa Libertadores and we know already that at least we will play ten.

- How did you feel after not having played for 24 days?

I felt good. I'm grateful to be able to play in this team and for being able to play well game against Corinthians, I feel that I played well. I enjoy playing at Boca. I’m a bostero and I'm going to die a bostero. I play with the jersey that I love. We are all very happy because this is wonderful. Now we are going to try to persuade the coach to let us play against Colon, but I think it will be difficult. (Talking about the substitutions).

-About a year ago, against the same opponent, you declared that you were leaving Boca because you were feeling “empty”. What changed since that time?

-I am always the same person. A year ago I was sad because we lost. Now I am happy because we won. Having advanced is very nice, but we can’t settle for this. Newell’s also advanced, so that means that there will be an Argentine club among the four best in America. I hope it’s us.

-Bianchi said: "Those who criticize Roman don’t know that he is very proud."

- He said that? It's because he loves me lot. I also love him a lot. He is happy. He is a great one, I always tell him. Together we never lost in Brazil. We have the best coach in our club’s history. I made my debut with Bilardo, but Bianchi is the one who taught me how to win at Boca. He gave me a lot, like my father and my mother. He loves me a lot and I also love him and his family.

- This kind of games reflect the mystique Boca managed to earn in Copa Libertadores?

-We have a desire to keep winning. Thanks to Bianchi I made the effort to be a better player, be greater, be a better person, although some may not like it. He’s the one who made me a winning player and he deserved to win this series because they were giving him a hard time.

You always spoke with admiration about Brazilian football. How come?

-I like how they feel the game. They had called me from Fluminense to play Copa Libertadores. At the end of last year they gave me an award for my performance in La Copa. I respect and admire a lot to their football and I appreciate that in a land which develops so many good players they were interested in me.

- Do you think Corinthians underestimated Boca, particulrarly in the first game?

-No. They always respected us. And at Boca we knew that we were playing against the champion of Copa Libertadores and the World (CWC), and that they added reinforcement like Pato and Guerrero, that they had the money to add reinforcements. But we were confident in our chances. Bianchi is our boss, I don’t need to talk to him to understand him Just looking at him I can tell if he’s angry or happy. When we arrived at the Pacaembu we saw him with a smile, and we knew things were going to work out well. Now we need to enjoy it, it’s been a while since we had a happy occasion like this.

- What is your opinion of Newell's, your next opponent?

They are playing the best football in Argentina. They have quality players who identify with the club, and have a strong comittment. Scocco, Heinze, Maxi Rodriguez. The coach is Martino. He put together a team with seven or eight players from their youth program, who identify with the club. And the veterans came back to help save Newell’s from relegation and now they are in first place in the Torneo Final and also still alive in Copa Libertadores.

And as a bonus I will also translate this:

[​IMG]
    Now where do I stick it?​

el-torero and Siempre_Albiceleste repped this.
  8. el-torero

el-torero Member

Aug 10, 2011
    malaysia
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    great job asf!

i'm very appreciate your work on this, thanks

roman, legendary player & great person

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I cannot catch most of the portuguese words, but it looks really cool.

Moishe and RiverGaucho repped this.
  10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

LOL LOL LOL but of course the copa libertadores is a mickey mouse tournament. It doesn't have the prestige of the sao paulo state championship, thats for sure

Obviously i wish boca had lost, and i will be rooting for them to lose the next round obviously, but i have no respect for santista1962 (btw his name is after a santos copa libertadores winning team...) while i do respect you boca posters, or at least some of you

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  11. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Legendary player indeed. But great person? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but what makes you say that? Just curious its not a term generally thrown around for Riquelme.

Other Boca players, sure, could fit the mold. I think el Patron Bermudez is one example. But Riquelme?

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think it was said in the context of the interview that I posted. Did you read it? He admits the golazo he scored was a stroke of luck, he gives credit to his coach, to his teammates, he talks of his great love for Boca's jersey, he speaks highly of Brazilian football, he takes the time to praise Newell's and the way they are playing. When the interviewer tries to get him to say that Corinthians disrespected Boca, he turns it around and says they did respect them. It's a very classy interview.

That's how he's always been, he comes across as a very humble guy. When he has a problem with somebody -like Maradona or Palermo, he doesn't bring it up in public, and when he is put in a position to respond by the media, as often happens in Argentina, he just says it's a personal matter and would rather not talk about it. And I feel he usually tries to minimize it in public. He even turned down a celebration planned for him by Boca fans because Maradona was going through a personal problem at the time. (Contrast it to how Maradona -who I love as a player- handles himself in such situations).

I recognize that Riquelme seems to be set on his ways and to have a strong personality, which is the trait of a leader, but sometimes it causes clashes with certain coaches and teammates. I also think there are issues of envy from a few teammates, and certainly with fans of clubs that have rivalry with Boca, which is to be expected. But most teammates seem to respond to him well, love him and respect him, particularly the younger players, and so do most opponents. Seems like the Brazilians respect him, including top stars like Ronaldinho. And he seems to be well respected in Spain, where he also played.

Obviously I don't know Riquelme personally any more than you do, but would you at least concede that not all great players come across as well as he does in the way they conduct interviews?