Boca Juniors at Barcelona de Ecuador, February 27 (r)

Discussion in 'Boca Juniors' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 26, 2013.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, to be fair, Barcelona made it easy for Boca in the second half. Not a great performance from the good guys, but at least a decent effort. Hopefully the emotional lift of the win carries over and they start playing better.

2. el-torero

el-torero Member

Aug 10, 2011
    malaysia
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    good result even without good performance overall

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    BTW, torero, Riquelme might start on Sunday.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  5. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    DVR screwed up so I didn't get to see the game. Couple of comments and more importantly some questions about some specific players. Firstly, I'm glad to see Viatri and Colazo o the pitch. Both players had to deal with serious injuries just as it seemed they were about to step up. I've always been a big Viatri fan. If he can continue to supplant Silva and build up some form and confidence then I think in conjunction with Roman can really help open things up. Colazo I like because he's quick and provides us with a good crossing option from out wide. I feel that is something we lack.

Now for the questions. How did Pablito Ledesma play? Was he just spelling Erviti or did Bianchi see something in practice? More importantly, what roles did Erbes and Ribair play and did either stand out more than the other? I would imagine that had Roman be ready to go, one of them would have been the odd man out.

On the road in the Copa means that sometimes you have to win ugly. It's a character builder which is important considering the overall form we've been in and that two key players have not been available yet.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not sure what Bianchi had in mind, but he did bring in Erviti for Colazo halfway through the 2nd half with Boca up 2-0.

I thought Ledesma was unremarkable, although he did look a bit better in the 2nd half when Boca started getting spaces and moving the ball more. But what little attacking Boca did seemed to come mostly from the other side. Colazo was a bit better without being great, but it should be noted that he took the corner kick that led to the first goal and the free kick that led to the 2nd. Erviti was ok when he came in, not too many minutes.

The biggest positive I think was the pairing of Erbes and Ribair. I don't know if it has to do with Barcelona being soft in the middle, but they controlled the midfield much better than we've seen Boca do in previous games. Erbes was a bit more incisive and Ribair more defensive and physical. I'd say Erbes probably played the better game, but they worked well together. Their play helped the central defenders gain in solidity. And it was nice to see Burdisso and Perez winning the air game both on defense and on attack.

The biggest negative was the laterals. Both Albin and Clemente were the weak links on defense, and fortunately the rivals couldn't take advantage of it. And Clemente ended up giving up a very stupid penalty, fortunately when there was no time left for more. The other negative was that Viatri didn't fare much better than Silva has. Not much to show for a player of his caliber. At least Martinez showed some flashes and got his goal, but also much more should be expected from a guy with his talent.

Moishe repped this.
  7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nice recap and honestly quite a surprise to hear that the Ribair/Erbes tandem was the bright spot. With Roman about to be back, can you see them in a line-up behind Roman? Maybe Roman more advanced? I mentioned in the one of the other threads that I would play JSM as a lateral and I think Erviti on the left of midfield though I am intrigued about the Colazo option. Not having a goal scoring 9 is really a hindrance.

8. el-torero

el-torero Member

Aug 10, 2011
    malaysia
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i can't wait for that moment to happen