Boca Jrs want to play Galaxy

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Vascao, Dec 25, 2005.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Well if we beat them they ain't getting it anyway.

2. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not think LAG has the Inter-American Cup or it was awarded by default. I think it just wasn't played. If I am right about that - here's our chance to collect more hardware as much as Boca's.

But - who awards that cup? Obviously some organization would need to sanction the match and deliver the trophy.

3. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the trophy's up for grabs then.

As to what organisation, if this was really official then you'd think it'd be a joint effort between CONCACAF and CONMEBOL, but it doesn't seem to be. Maybe it's a thing between MLS and the AFA?

4. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, if Boca is really hard up for trophies, we have an extra one we can put up as a challenge trophy. I refer to none other than the Cruz Butamonte Cup that we won by by beating the real Chivas about 6 or 7 years ago at the Rose Bowl. I have never even seen it on display in the LAG trophy case, but I know that we won it.

OK BOCA - You want the Bustamonte Cup, come get it (at your expense of course - all gate receipts to LAG).

5. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh brother, I go out of town for a lousy week and Sean is leaving me in his wake on numbers of posts.

6. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hadn't even realised. I left you a birthday cake on another thread also. ;)

7. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    According to the following link link we did win the 2000 Football Confederation cup that Boca wants so badly. (It even has a picture of it)
    http://www.la-soccer.com/

8. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    boca doesnt want your CCC trophy, they want the inter-american cup. i think that is a seperate trophy in and of itself, kind of like the Super Cup in europe, except between the winners of CCC and copa libertadores. i dont see anywhere where it says they want the gals trophy.

9. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    i think it's up to conmebol. in the article is says "conmebol only maintains communication with the national associations, not individual clubs. if the AFA eventually asked us to analyse the possibility of playing for the past cups instead of the press, security (i think) would be examined to later respond in either an negative or positive way"

10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    NO reason to not play this. Lets do it!!!!!!

11. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They woulnd't be able to get it anyway, they're not a part of CONCACAF.

12. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Well! Hopefully the match does indeed take place and provide some a$$Kicking. Damn selfish bastards! :p

13. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Why doesn't the Gals agree with this...as long as Boca pays LA about $1M for their trouble.

Just kidding. Any request to play a competition so far out of date should be denied.

And Transvaal of Surinam? I bet they're ready to play, if they still exist.

14. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know who wants what, but the two trophies definitely are not the same thing. LAG did win the Conferedations Cup. LAG never got to play for the Inter-American Cup.

But I bet in their storied history, Boca has never won the Cruz Bustamonte Cup.

15. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, sir. You are a gentleman, a scholar and a lover of fine wines.

16. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you actually see it?

17. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Okay.. We need to get our cups straight.. Cups 101..
    The above quoted cup the Galaxy won is the equivalent of the Champions League in Europe which is the club championship of UEFA.
    In 2000 the "CCC", the CONCACAF Champions’ Cup, was called the Football Confederation Cup because FIFA was trying to change the name of Concacaf to "The Football Confederation" but it just didn't work as nobody would make the change and they gave up on that..
    Prior to this year, when it was abandoned for the return of the FIFA Club World Championship, the winners of South America's version of the Champions League, Copa Libertadores, and the winners of EUFA's Champions League, would play a one match championship in Japan called the Toyota Intercontinental Cup. Sometimes it was simply refered to as the Toyota Cup and sometimes The Intercontinental Cup.
    The cup we are talking about here that Boca wants to play the Galaxy for, The InterAmerican Cup is the equivalent of the Toyota Intercontinental Cup (except in the eyes of EuroSnobs.. ;) )

18. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally it's made clear.

19. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Only on the Galaxy board would the cup structure have to be explained.

::runs away::

20. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is complicated stuff you know.

21. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    technically yes but the toyota cup was seen as the one the crowned the world champion. the one boca wants to play is for the championship of the americas( north and South) but for the most part your right they are kinda the same

22. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Concerning all the confusion over the different Cups... I've heard that California is full of blondes. :p

23. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh.

Blonde jokes, one of the few things I hadn't already seen here.

24. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Well a lot of the confussion here came from that attempted name change of the confederation..
    If you mentioned The Football Confedertion Cup to most Europeans, what do you think they would think you were talking about..? ;)

25. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. But it took a while for me to read the accumulated wisdom of Galaxy Nation that was amassed in the week I was gone.