bobby boswell?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by dashiel, Aug 29, 2007.

1. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    so interestingly enough defender of the year bobby boswell is on the outs with d.c. united. not terribly so, but you can read some frustration in the linked article.

d.c. is rumored to be looking for some offensive grit, and lacking a true target forward. i wonder if buddle/gorgon turn in a heroic performance tonight we might trade them for boswell. we might orchestrate a trade. especially with out soehn connection.

a boswell/harden center pairing, mentored by xavier could form the backbone of our defense for a good six, seven years.

2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing earlier today. Signing him would be a good start to our rebuilding campaign.

I think we could provide some players that would act as depth in DC if they think it would help them. ( Some combination of Buddle/Gordon/Gray/Klein/Glinton/Roberts/Veris)

3. KingsRule89

KingsRule89 New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    HOw i'd love for that to happen, but i think we'd have a better chance of landing zidane than that happening.

4. sacris00

sacris00 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Burbank
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

Did somebody mention Zidane?:D

5. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Member

Jan 30, 2004
    NorCal
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In theory, this would be just what the doctor ordered, but the whole 2-for-1 trade concept hasn't really been working out for us this year.

6. triple7

triple7 New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    i was thinking about this earlier and i would actually throw in martino to the list of players we could trade for boswell

7. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The question is, how did he fall from Defender of the Year to sitting on the bench? Does it coincide with DC's shift from a three-man back line to a four-man line?

If it still means that we need to bring in another central defender next year then I'm not too excited about it. If he will be a solid starter then it would be a great deal. But then, why would DC trade him?

8. sacris00

sacris00 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Burbank
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To show them that we have a good heart:rolleyes: we will give away Veris for FREE.

9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice to have a settled coach/gm situation in order to jump at these types of opportunities.

For example, if we knew we had a new coach, then it would be important to know what type of formation he would like to play. Anyone know how Klinsman likes to arrange his players? 3-5-2 ? If so, the Bosswell would be a strong fit.

10. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. The idea that Boswell is "on the outs" is a bit of an exaggeration. He hasn't been sharp this season. So he's sitting now.

2. What DC United is looking for is a proven goal scorer. I mean no slam or trolling here...but who exactly does LAG have that meets that description that you'd be willing to trade? And no, Gordon and Buddle don't qualify.

11. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I am pretty sure he does a high pressure 4-4-2 with a major attacking look.

12. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't know. How much does a backup defender go for in this league? Shavar Thomas went for a second round pick.

Sure, he won an award, but Kyle Martino was a rookie of the year and where did that get him? Proven goal scorers are incredibly valuable in this league. Who do you think you could get?

13. Ron86

Ron86 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BOBBY BOSWELL is and IDIOT. He mouthed off about the DC vs Galaxy game. I'm sure you've see the thread. BOBBY BOSWELL IS TRASH!!!!!

14. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sigh....that's not the point. DCU is not interested in trading Bobby Boswell. The question isn't "what is he worth?."

DCU is looking for an additional goal scorer. That is what the team is trying to trade for. In order to get that goal scorer, the team recognizes that they'd need to give up some talent. That might be Boswell (though it should be noted that when John Dyson interviewed Boswell, he said that while he wasn't happy being a reserve, he didn't want to be traded to another team and wanted to stay in DC). Or it might be other players (a starter or a reserve). Trading for a draft pick would be a crazy move for DCU--they'd trade a player from the current roster only if they felt it filled a critical need. To put it another way, imagine if your team traded a contributing player for a draft pick--would that help your team this year?

You're viewing this from the perspective of "what is Boswell worth to LAG?" and that's the wrong perspective. B/c DCU isn't seeking to trade him. Realistically, there aren't any goal scoring forwards that LAG would be interested in dealing so that means a trade with DCU (for Boswell or anyone else) is not going to happen. And again, Boswell is not "on the outs" so it's not that DCU is seeking to trade him. He'd like be attractive to other teams b/c he's cheap, young, has physical and technical talent and has had some good play in the past. But DCU equally has encentive to hang on to him (for instance, no backline reserves after Boswell).

15. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    doesn't LA get anything they want?????

16. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think our season thus far makes the answer obvious.

17. johndanarcissist

johndanarcissist New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Dashiel think! X is in his mid 30's and won't a part of that equation 6-7 years from now.

18. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And my point wasn't that he should be traded for a draft pick, rather that backup defenders (which is what he apparently is at this point) are not worth goal scoring forwards.

DC is interested in getting a forward. If you want to say that Buddle/Gordon/Gavin, who are your typical MLS backups, aren't good enough for you, that's fine. But why would other teams, who are also in playoff races, want to give up a good forward for a defender? What Bosworth is worth is directly relevent to what you might get.

19. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except Boswell is a starting CB on every team outside of DC. He's still in the top 2 CBs on DC, Soehn just doesn't want to mess with the success Vanney and McTavish have at the moment.

Like JoeW said though, there's nobody that LA would be willing to trade that would make a deal worth it for United.

20. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not really. It's not that DCU is seeking to trade Boswell for something. It's DCU would like to get another goal scorer. And to do so it will need to trade something. Allocations, draft picks, a player or two. Maybe that would be Boswell. Maybe that would be McTavish. Or Fred. Or Gros. Or Carroll. Or Dyachenko. Or another starting player.

DCU is not seeking to trade Boswell. DCU is seeking a forward. And you're right that there aren't many goal scorers out there available. The question would be if there's a team in mid-September who is either clearly out of the playoffs and has a finisher OR can see that their playoff run will be short unless they add something (like NYRB), might give up a finisher.

Doesn't mean a deal will happen. But it does mean that LAG is highly unlikely to be a trading partner with DCU on this if it does happen.

21. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would probably start on this team but he certainly is not a starting CB on KC, Houston, hell probably not even Chicago or Chivas.

22. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    uhm, i suggest you read what i wrote

not to be pedantic, but mentored means having an experienced professional educate a novice/amateur/apprentice. so boswell/harden would be center pairing, mentored by xavier.