Bob Wilson, OBE

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PsychedelicCeltic, Dec 29, 2007.

1. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Honoured for services to the Willow Foundation.

Well done, Bob!

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah

props to bob!

3. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean he's Sir Bob?

4. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Nah, he's an Officer of the British Empire. You have to be awarded Knight Commander or Knight Grand Cross to be called "Sir". Here's a breakdown of the Order of the British Empire.

Oh, and congratulations. Duh. :)

5. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Well deserved.

6. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to one of our legends.

7. CTGooner

CTGooner New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    The Cut
    I have to say, of all Arsenal players past and present, He's the one I'd most like to have a beer with. Aside from being a fellow GK, he seems like such a great guy. His autobio is a good read.

8. Kev_England

Kev_England New Member

May 26, 2006
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fantastic news. I used to watch him religously on Grandstand with Frank Bough. Brings back memories. Always having a go at Pat Jennings as I remember.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob retired as our keeper just at the time I started to go to Highbury so I didn't really get much exposure to him while he was playing. From the few highlights I've seen of him in the early 70's he did seem to be a good keeper.

He was followed by (and coached) Pat Jennings who was always one of may fav's.

When I hear Bob speak now on ATVO or DVD's he's very impressive, thoughtful and articulate... a cut above the typical ex-footballer. And he seems a good bloke. So good for him.

Anyone know which other Arsenal players have been given OBE's or MBE's?

10. Kev_England

Kev_England New Member

May 26, 2006
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, he did come off as very articulate and amusing. With him being an ex-Arse player there was always a lot of talk about what The Gunners were up to on Grandstand. Hence I remember him being quite observant on Jennings who took his spot. Jennings was a spurs keeper before hand too. I was very young at the time but it must have caused a stir.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and the other thing I'll never forget about Bob Wilson, and probably the most indelible memory of him from my teens is actually from Monty Python!

Their sketch about football keepers who are poetic dreamers about the Yangtse River, starts out with the narrator introducing "Bob Wilson, Arsenal". Bob then says "A Wonderous river... her broad banks are swelling... home to a race of... fish."

Peter Shilton, Brian Clough, Bill Shankley and others feature also. And then there's a football chant that ends "Yangtse's the river, that we all support!"

I don't do it justice but it's a pretty funny sketch on an album which is often even funnier.

Here, I dug it up on Rhapsody http://www.rhapsody.com/montypython/13192899_montypythonspreviousrecord?tstart=20 (tracks 24 & 25)