News: Bob Bradley to Aston Villa?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    On another Aston Villa forum they are saying ROBO-BOB was interviewed on Sky Sports News in the last hour today, nothing new in the interview though. But the interview has provoked the usual scathing commentary from the posters there, who say he's desperate and dislike his use of the term "soccer".

The favorites for the job on that forum are David Moyes, Martin Jol and Sven. Moyes is just pure fantasy, Jol seems unlikely especially if Ajax make the Champions League group stages, while I have no clue anymore whether Sven is in the running.

The problem with whoever they choose is that many Villa fans seem more worried about image and hiring a big name than finding the right guy for the job.

2. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is what I've been saying all along. It looks like the real possibilities are him and Sven. Moyes is definitely pure fantasy and Ajax aren't going to let Jol go now that they're into the season. Sven is just a merc. Apparently the English still have a higher opinion of him, but we saw him in the debacle with Mexico and he wasn't much better with Ivory Coast.

I'm biased, but even objectively Bob looks like the best option at this point.

3. Metzengerstein

Jul 29, 2007
  4. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha... dislike of the term "soccer." That's great.

Agree about Moyes. Villa's budget seems to be right around the same as Everton, they're fairly equal in terms of their standing in the English footballing heirarchy.

I could see Jol coming back to England at some point, but AV's personnel don't really match his style or coaching philosophy. They're a prototypical fast, athletic, straight-forward 4-4-2 footballing side.

Who knows about Sven. I think a team would be taking a reasonable risk with him, just as they would with Bob. I think AV's personnel would fit well with Bob's coaching experience and philosophy.

5. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That "quote" is a bit deceptive. Gen. Krulak did say that the club would take their time naming a new manager, but never, ever mentioned Bradley (or any other candidate, for that matter) by name.

I still believe this Bradley to Villa story is complete nonsense. It sounds to me like today's development is that Bob is doing a little PR, putting himself out there, so to speak. Which makes a lot of sense from his perspective. Even if he doesn't get this job (which he probably won't) he's increasing his visibility and when another opening comes up, he'll be talked about as a former candidate for the Fulham and Villa jobs (even though he was never likely seriously considered for either position)...

6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    SGE takes a lot of abuse for his country coaching, but a fairer assessment would be his short stay at Man City, where, to be fair was not bad. It ended badly, but he had a pretty good stretch of success initially with them. Man City back then would be comparable in size to AV right now. I think SGE could step in and hold the ship steady at AV.

7. mccscratch

mccscratch Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I still think he was an early candidate for Fulham...

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And actually.......Sven Goran Erickson lost only five competitive matches as head coach of England (over 5 years from 01-06).

He reached the quarterfinals of WC 2002, Euro 2004, & WC 2006.......a feat no other European country managed over that stretch.

And you're right about his time at Man City. As manager he led them to their highest point total ever in the Premier League..........at that time. And in his last season he swept Man United. The fans reacted very poorly to his dismissal.

Sven is seen as a little bit of a joke in some quarters, but when you sit down and really examine his resume........it's pretty impressive. Yes, yes, there's the stain of the Mexico tenure. Can't ignore that. But he's much more "in tune" with English football than Mexican. He's a significantly better candidate for the Aston Villa job than Bob Bradley. I can't envision that Bradley would be hired to run a top-half prem club if Sven is also a candidate.

9. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also failed to mention his excellent club record in Italy, Portugal and Sweden. The last few years have not been terribly kind to Sven, but the whole of his managerial record is incredibly impressive.

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame IOSS/Special1TV.

11. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clicked on FSC, SkySports News had Bob Bradley's interest in Villa in the "Top Story" box at the lower right-hand corner.

12. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone is debating that.

Maybe I'm just more swayed by his most recent results.

13. mccscratch

mccscratch Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    SGE can manage when he is not involved in being the headline... he lately has become just a mercenary and a distraction wherever he goes... I think Villa will want to avoid that.

14. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if SGE would even want the gig, full well knowing he won't be able to buy any players.

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The reason I failed to mention that is because the structure (especially economically) of club football has changed significantly since he managed club football outside of England. Yes, you probably were a good manager to land the England job (yes, even MacLaren), one would assume. I only used Man City as an example because, I think it would be a very similar situation to the current state of AV. Not top 4, but the next six.

I think the players would sit up and take notice of SGE walking through the door before Bob Bradley, though I think Bradley would have similar success as SGE in the long run. Bob would likely take longer to establish his way on a team like AV.

16. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was he a distraction at Ivory Coast? Was he a distraction as director of football at Notts County?

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    But if AV goes out and loses another two games a mercenary will be exactly what they need as the club will likely go into panic mode. They won't want to hear from Bob about building a club structure (like in Chicago or Chivas and yes Metrostars). They will be looking for results, and quick.

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, he was. He was bigger than the club. The club did a lot of chest thumping of what they wanted to accomplish, but were really just a 4th division club.

19. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize Notts County were promoted last year, don't you?. Sven wasn't the problem. It was the bizarre ownership consortium that brought him in. Yes, he left in February, but the team he was part of putting together won League Two.

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, I do. I never said he was a problem, only that he was bigger than the club. When the former English Manager goes to manage in the 4th division, it is a big deal.

And yes going from 4th division to 3rd is still unnecessary chest thumping.

21. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Result spoilers:

Martin Jol may be out of the race for manager of Aston Villa as Ajax has qualified for the Champions League Group Stage.

22. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See the quote below from the Villa Chief Executive which would seem to suggest that Bob is not in the running for the Villa job.

"Two of the traits we believe are of crucial importance are that candidates have experience of managing in the Premier League and a strategy for building on the existing strengths in our current squad."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2139164,00.html

23. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious who's available with prior EPL management experience that would actually be a good hire for a club with Villa's aspirations. Sven, I guess. Maybe Curbishley... maybe. Seems foolish to hire a proven EPL mediocrity and expect them to be anything other than, well, mediocre.

24. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Of the bookies' favorite candidates the leading ones with EPL experience are Eriksson, Curbishley, Houllier, Zola, and Southgate.

25. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd hope they're smart enough to take a pass on Southgate, and I'm not convinced Zola's any better either.