News: Bob Bradley finally speaks on Jurgen Klinsmann

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Oct 7, 2016.

1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    #102 Mahtzo1, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    It isn't really obvious to me. It may be obvious that Klinsmann (or most people) would deny it but I don't see how it is obvious that he wasn't jockeying for the postion. That being said, I can't say for certain that everything or anything Klinsy said was to gain favor and eventually grab the job from Bob either. (I can't believe I'm actually defending Klinsmann). To me, it is very much like the criticism that Donovan received by many for his analysis and comments as an analyst during and after the world cup. Both were in positions where many argue that there was a conflict of interest and that perception clouds the meanings we read into the commentary.

3. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we can debate what "jockeying" means, but I wanted to check my recollection of the timeline. Here's what I found:
    • Jurgen, who had talked with Gulati about the job in 2006, made his comments as a commentator after the Ghana loss at the 2010 World Cup. Somewhat relevant, Jurgen also wrote an op-ed for the BBC about what England should do after its loss.
    • Bob's contract was up in December of 2010 and Gulati expressed his disappointment with the finish publicly.
    • Per Jurgen, there were negotiations for a month or so between he and US Soccer to take over that broke down around September of 2010 over "authority."
    • Bob's contract was eventually renewed until 2014.
    • I cannot find any record of Jurgen saying anything in the media between Bob's contract renewal and firing after the 2011 Gold Cup.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good summation. I would note that the comments he made, suggesting the US was suffering a hangover from the great Algeria win were hardly stinging, especially as he added this (in the above linked article on the comments): "
    Klinsmann recalled that something similar happened to Germany as he managed that country in 2006.
    "Oh yes, we had these moments too, very emotional moments too, once we beat Poland in the last minute," Klinsmann said. "You have to bring down the players right way, back to the ground, you have to tell them, ‘Forget about the last game, it’s done.’ It’s all about Algeria. I had a feeling they were not really prepared for Ghana for this battle."
    Bradley here is using the old chip on the shoulder cliché of many, many successful sporting personalities. The world is against me/us. I think he was reading a bit much into these comments. Sunil clearly had a crush on Klinsi, and had long before Bradley was fired. That's on Sunil, not Klinsi. I don't think the difference is that great between Klinsi getting the US job and Bradley getting the Swansea job. Both incumbent managers had previous success. Both were treated somewhat shabbily on being fired, and could make strong arguments that they deserved a bit more time.
    Now, it's not at all on Bradley that he took the Swansea gig. It was a chance and one he wanted. The fact that he talked to club officials before the firing isn't a mark against him, in my book. This is a professional game, it is played by big boys and they are paid very well for jobs that are notoriously insecure.
    Same rules apply to the Bradley losing the US gig, and Klinsi replacing him.

bsky22 and russ repped this.
  5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really is, and he's skated for five years.

Marko72 repped this.
  6. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley was referencing this video called, "The Future for U.S. Soccer"...

Particularly the part were JK talks about developing the American culture and the American player... He wasn't necessarily jockeying for the coaching job in the video, but for the TD job.

My take is... Bradley does not want to appear to be buddy buddy with JK and does not want to have the English press asking him about JK.

I know we are talking about this on BS, but have the English press asked Bob Bradley any more questions about JK since the initial interview?

7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I don't think they have. They we wanted something from Bradley to fire up rumor of a JK to PL move but Bob wanted nothing to do with and wanted to make it clear, JK is not his friend

8. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Hope Springs Eternal!

manq360 repped this.
  9. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was never a big fan of Bunker Bob, but the guy seems truly trustworthy. Hardly a political bone in his body. Klinnsman on the other hand, is always denying some obvious lie. "He is just a little bit behind" comes to mind. This response by JK is not compelling as an argument. This is Klinnsmans's achilles heel: he isn't a good enough coach to be forgiven his obvious backstabbing.

russ repped this.
  10. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think bringing up Klinsmann's 2010WC postmortem remarks on ESPN as evidence for him "jockeying" for the job is a bit weak, to be honest. He talked about high-level issues which aren't specific to the operational role of a senior national team manager, and in any case he had a professional obligation to give his opinion as a studio analyst.

Klinsmann gave a very similar, bird's eye perspective of the situation in Germany for local print/TV media after the 2004 Euro debacle, which initiated a chain of events leading to him getting hired for the NT gig. History repeating itself leads one to speculate that he was subtly advertising his vision for the USMNT, but in any case he didn't do it overtly enough for me to say that he actively disrespected Bob or threw him under the bus. Organizations facing an inflection point should be reevaluating their leadership and assessing the available alternatives, which is a separate issue from whether USSF treated Bob fairly or not.

exref and juveeer repped this.
  11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bob has developed exponentially as a media personality. Back in 2010 he was soooo boring. Now he's genuine and confident.

I don't think this was calculated but there could not have been anything better than his response to the question. How do you feel about JK's congratulations? The subtext being that he should feel honored to be mentioned by JK. Bob turns it around to make it more of a long time feud. He immediately and convincingly upgrades himself as an equal to well known figure. Pretty good stuff, Bob.

maroonlaw, dlokteff, Footsatt and 2 others repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    This soccer season has been so tantalizing as a USA fan.

13. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but Klinsmann wanted the TD job and the head coaching job. He wanted full control... and he presented his ideas on what is wrong with our system... implying that he could fix it. He did not get the TD job until 2013, but he wanted it in 2006 and in 2010/11.

russ repped this.
  14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the very least, it's got to feel like a little bit of a slap in the face to a guy like Bradley, who, as an American soccer coach, has really had to fight for every scrap of respect in his field, to get a congratulatory pat on the back from a guy who certainly angled for his job and got it based mostly on reputation and then enjoyed unprecedented power and accolades in the position.

Gamecock14 and exref repped this.
  15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You can never be certain about these things like respect or lack of but it seems to me that Klinsmann was a bit condescending during Bob's tenure. His tone changed remarkably after taking the job. When he mentioned Bob he made good comments on the quality of Bob's work in the first year or two.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Crowds for friendlies have plummeted from 34,000 average in 2014/2015 to 9,000 currently (last 6 frirendlies).
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article/70731/crowd-count-us-friendly-attendances-plummet.html

28,000 ticket deficit x 6 games = 168,000 tickets at say $50 each is $8,400,000

That has to be a big number because it is bigger than Klinsmann's annual salary.

I'm not tantalized.

napper repped this.
  17. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Times, opponents and day of the week. All of these things matter.

18. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it was personal, but Jurgen campaigned for the job by marketing himself as a savior and painting the US program as a meandering ship in need of rescuing. Doesn't mean he harbored animosity against Bob specifically, but he benefited from Bob's dismissal and was able to negotiate more money, power and prestige in the process. But that's business and Jurgen Klinsmann wouldn't have been a great forward if he wasn't opportunistic. I think this is Bob taking those congrats with a grain of salt.

19. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    You guys are trying WAAAAYYYYY too hard.

Guy congratulates you on getting your dream job. Says you are a good guy and wishes you well. And that is a SLAP IN THE FACE"?

20. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Should Guidolin feel the same way about Double B?

This is ridiculous. Everyone in futbol takes a job that someone else had before. Does that mean everyone who takes a job when someone else is fired has been "jockeying for MY job"?

Anyway, that is part of the problem. No job belongs to anyone but the Club or organization that hires and fires. No one is entitled to a job or to keep a job.

And you can bet as long as that job exists someone else will be interested in having it.

Much ado about nothing and Bob would have been much better off saying he appreciated JK's support and moved forward with is new job. That he took from Guidolin..

exref and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Bob says something like "he appreciated JK's support" it opens up the English press to asks more questions about JK.

I think he did this to let the English press know that he is not buddies or friends with JK. Since these initial JK questions has the English press asked Bob anymore questions about JK?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    it def created more interest in the story and why he was fired by USSF

23. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It did here in the states, but do the English media or the Swansea fans care about this?

They care about England and the EPL. The English press care about JK, because his name is thrown around as a possible English nat team coach or as a possible EPL coach. I don't follow along in the English press, but I have not heard the English press ask Bob anything about JK since this one interview. Sounds like this is a win for Bob.

Marko72 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, admittedly, slap in the face is probably a bit much in retrospect. It probably warrants a jagoff motion, though and BB gave the verbal equivalent of that. I don't think there's much to see here.

25. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He was paid to comment for TV, and TV commentators who don't put out strong stuff don't get jobs again.
    It's different if he was being quoted after seeking out commentators and saying listen to my ideas, but in this case, he was hired to do exactly what he did. US soccer is so incredibly thin skinned. That was so far from harsh.

juveeer and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.