Boarders Language Culture

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by dcrpoop, Nov 6, 2003.

1. dcrpoop

dcrpoop BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 15, 2000
    Hell'sKitchen is my
    If Club America and Chivas are allowed to buy into MLS, there has got to be a stop to allowing them to "Mexicanize" the league! We don't need anymore set backs becoming more of a foreign sport and I sure as hell don't want a NON-USA influence feel. Let them buy into the league, make money but respect out league and rules. Not as if any of them are following the rules any ways.

2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    What's a boarder? Do you mean somebody that makes boards for a living? I'm seriously confused...

But I will assume that you meant "border", as in a geo-political construct.

What do you call "USA"?

As per the Treaty of Guadalupe, Mexicans in the South West USA have a right to maintain their cultural, linguistic and religious heritage. And so they pertain to the "USA".

Is it possible to stop 22 million ppl from exercising an influence in the cultural, linguistic and sport culture of a country? We as soccer fans already benefit from this b/c their t.v. stations actually cover USMNT and other ConCaCaf teams, plus the World Cup.

Holy mole, I'll go back to eating my mole burrito...

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should I be shocked that someone who's using a catchphrase from the Savage Bigot can't even spell it right?

4. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    boarder

a boarder is someone who lives in a boarding house.

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sky is falling. The sky is falling. Quick, Henny Penny, go tell Vincente Foxie Loxie!

6. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    You're just one letter away from real trouble.

Mexicanizing the league, meaning making the league into this continent's dominant league, wouldn't bother me at all as long as it continues to develop the same kind of players that brought us 2-0 in Korea.

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Do a google search and you'll have no problem finding more on boarders' language and culture.

8. spike

spike Member

Feb 22, 2001
    Tejas
    Damn, wouldn't it be cool if our league was "Mexicanized." Imagine ... full stadiums, passionate fans, impressive players.

I think we could probably learn a thing or two.

Why are rednecks such *#*#*#*#*#*#*#?

9. Savage Nation F.C.

Savage Nation F.C. New Member

Oct 4, 2003
    Elitest Northeast
    spike, i'll let you in on a little secret, rednecks is an offensive term, maybe not in your politically correct world but for the largest growing region in the US that actually believes in such "unhip" things as family, god and country. They are the type of people who wake up everyday, go to work, pay taxes and do their best to raise their families with some sort of moral code, basically the type of people you wont find in the oh, so trendy elite cities sipping starbucks during the day and snorting coke in the bathhouses at night or the mushheads roaming around in college towns who think they have such a deep world view of politics and economics even though they just moved out of their parents house and don't work for a living

El Jefe, feel a slight wind? That is a big yawn from the most tired response in this country, calling someone a bigot or racist. And I would rethink mocking someone who listens to a radio personality with 2 masters degrees and a best selling book, especially since you coined the high minded phrase, "suck it chicago". Clever, your a moderator with those type of writing skills? Are you really Jayson Blair, former science fiction writer for the New York Times?

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I love this. Never let it be said that the radical right isn't a bitter hateful group.

Excuse me as I go to the bathroom with my starbucks now and do a line.

11. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I thought the largest growing regions of the US were growing because of Mexican-Americans, who by and large believe in god, family and country. It seems a little strange to bring those things up when "rednecks" don't seem to like people that believe in them.

12. Savage Nation F.C.

Oct 4, 2003
    Elitest Northeast
    bitter? Hardly. The GOP hold the white house, senate, house, majority of state houses and governors. Talk radio and Fox news are have taken over. Radical? hardly. Most people believe in God, capitalism and are against gay marriage and partial birth abortion. Those are mainstream opinions thats why the Dems can barely win a state except on the elite east coast or the wacky left coast.

13. Savage Nation F.C.

Oct 4, 2003
    Elitest Northeast
    kpaulson your right. However, I take a calling someone a redneck as directing it to a person from the South(largest growing area) and who it is white. You know, reverse racism which in this country is called affirmative action

14. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    And yet why is unemployment for white folks still so far below the national average?

Don't get me wrong-- poor whites have it tough too and snotty elite democrats have ignored that to their detriment. But I guess I'll continue to be more worried about the racism that actually seems to have some effects before I worry about a group that faces only 4% unemployment.

15. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Here's your set up!

Savage Nation F.C. but what does that have to with this?

16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This probably isn't the best place to use the phrase "calling a spade a spade," but what the hell. But don't take it from me, take it from the man himself:

"We need racist stereotypes right now of our enemy in order to encourage our warriors to kill the enemy." (San Francisco Chronicle, 2/6/03)

"With the [Latino] population that has emerged, since they breed like rabbits, in many cases the whites will become a minority in their own nation... The white people don't breed as often for whatever reason. I guess many homosexuals are involved. That is also part of the grand plan, to push homosexuality to cut down on the white race." (San Francisco Guardian, 9/20/00)

And in addition to stereotyping and scapegoating, he's foolish to think that we as a country ever had one culture or should have one culture. As a native of the Southwest, I can tell you that a large part of MY culture was built by the people he slurs on a daily basis on his show. But I guess he'd argue that that was due to the open borders to the South that we had 100-150 years ago, due to all the left-wingers from today who have apparently discovered time travel.
    "Having two masters degrees and a best-selling book" and "being a clue*#*#*#*#" are not mutually exclusive. Especially if those master's degrees are in medical botany and medical anthropology.

And your hero has a PhD from Berkeley, by the way. But then, color me shocked that a guy with a PhD in Epidemiology and Nutrition Science might not have the most educated opinions on "culture."
    Well, I've only got a bachelor's degree from a large public university in the Southwest, so you must forgive me.
    Damn straight.
    I'm actually Mike Segroves' sockpuppet.

17. Savage Nation F.C.

Oct 4, 2003
    Elitest Northeast
    racism is wrong, period. but it extends to all people. Whites, religious people, southerners etc. it is not just limited to blacks, hispanics or gays

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's funny, the vast majority of liberals I know also believe in God, capatalism, and are against Partial birth abortion as well. If you got your head outside of books that whole argument is based on calling people wacky, elite, traitors, or communists, and actually held a discussion with those people you'd find that out as well.

But then again, you wear the whole righteous anger thing so well.

19. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Wait bro-- who's got the 2 degrees and best-selling book? You or the radio personality?

I got to listen to Stephen Hawking once. Does that mean I can't be mocked even if I'm functionally illiterate although opinionated?

20. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    racism is wrong because it hurts people-- not because of some high-minded philosophical ideal.

If the unemployment rate in one group is and has remained lower than the national average, where is the hurt from that "racism"?

21. Savage Nation F.C.

Oct 4, 2003
    Elitest Northeast
    Very good El Jefe, quick reponse. Do you have any comments from former KKK member (D) Robert Byrd or losing California candidate (D) Cruz Bustamonte (sp?) saying the N word, it happened. Or how about (D) Rev. Al Sharpton or (D) Jessie Jackson with their anti white, anti jewish comments? Think bigger man, forget about radio shock jocks

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, I'm not trying to imply that people who have advanced degrees in the sciences are dopes. Far from it.

But I don't think that they or their fans should leans on those sheepskins too much when they're trying to defend the tripe that comes tumbling out of their mouths about culture.

Sort of like that doctor in the Smoke Away commercials on FSW, talking about how great Smoke Away is. She's a friggin' chiropractor. Thanks for your learned opinion, doc. While I'm at it, I'll just ask my plumber what he thinks of it.

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think that the sins of people on the other side of the aisle somehow excuse those of Dr. Weiner?

Or do you bring them up because you know that what Your Hero said is indefensible?

The fact that Messrs. Byrd, Bustamonte, Sharpton, and Jackson said bigoted things and may actually be bigots doesn't change the fact that Dr. Weiner is likely a bigot.

24. Savage Nation F.C.

Oct 4, 2003
    Elitest Northeast
    this thread was started by someone who was upset by the Chivas situation (actually I disagree with him, I think it will be good for the league in long haul) but because he used the slogan "borders , language and culture" the knee jerk reactions started on both sides(including myself). However, the guy who started the thread didnt say anything bad but he was attacked.

25. sjquakesfan

sjquakesfan New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Guys, I suggest you continue the political discussion somewhere else. Let's stick with soccer on these boards.