Blumstein, Kayal: Scottish Premier League [R], 2010-11

Discussion in 'Israel' started by mfrajman, Aug 8, 2010.

1. mfrajman

mfrajman New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Two Israelis will play in the Scottish Premier League this season: Biram Kayal for Celtic, and Gil Blumstein for newly promoted Inverness.

Incidentally, these teams will play each other in the opening round of the league on August 14.

2. mfrajman

mfrajman New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
  3. Bigthunder

Bigthunder New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    I found an interview with Kayal but my Hebrew is terrible, I haven't been learning for that long but I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me what is being said during the start of the interview or if he says anything of interest.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBjsXYKlngE&playnext=1&videos=NkQzGQ6DLUA"]YouTube- biram kayal - ????: ???? ????? ?? ???? ?? ??? ????[/ame]

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=295913&cc=5901 Blumstein was subbed on in the 61st minute and subbed off in the 78th minute and Kayal did not play. The final score was Inverness Caledonian Thistle 0-1 Celtic.

Bigthunder, Welcome to BigSoccer.

5. mfrajman

mfrajman New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Blumstein got injured - he will be out for 6 weeks maybe :(

6. Bigthunder

Bigthunder New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Thanks EvanJ

7. ChelseaIsrael

ChelseaIsrael New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    New Rochelle
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Just a thought. Why do these guys prefer to play in Scotland? I mean is the SPL really better than the Israeli Premier league? I can see the advantage in playing for a team like Celtic, they are one of only two teams that can win the SPL, and maybe get noticed by a real league...but for Blumstein to play for Inverness is a lateral move if not a step down. Even Belgium is better than the SPL. Don't get me wrong, i wish them all the success but seriously will Celtic go farther in Europe than Hapoel Tel Aviv or Maccabi Tel Aviv...not really

8. Bigthunder

Bigthunder New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC

At Inverness Blumstein has a much better chance of getting spotted by managers elsewhere, games against the old firm get broadcast all over the world. He's being managed by Terry Butcher who is tight with the Rangers back room and the links that provides. There are also a lot of Scottish managers in the EPL and championship who actively pursue Scottish based players.

Celtics last two years were disappointing, but don't forget that they have twice made it to the champions league last 16 in recent years.
    They do have a better current team strength for strength than either of the Tel avivs- it's a question of getting that team to perform.
    On top of that they have more money, more prestige and higher expectations.

It's an easy choice and a great way to ground yourself in Europe in a difficult league.

9. ChelseaIsrael

ChelseaIsrael New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    New Rochelle
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Good point about the possibility of getting spotted and the fact that there are better managers probably in the SPL. But i still must disagree with you about the rest. Yes there is more $ but not that much more, look at Rangers they're broke and the rest aren't doing too much better. The reality is the SPL is a 3rd tier league and only 2 spots above Israel in the coefficient rankings. Scotland's prestige is largely in the past. They play a terrible brand of soccer up there and the national team hasnt produced a decent player in ages.

10. Bigthunder

Bigthunder New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    I don't know about the national team producing players because there is no national academy in Scotland.

I suppose it depends on how you define 'decent' but the clubs do produce some good players who have proved themselves at higher levels (CL, EPL and championship)

Aiden McGeady, Shaun Maloney, Craig Gordon, Alan Hutton, Barry Ferguson, Kevin Thomson, Barry Robson, Steven Fletcher, Ross McCormack, Allen Mcgregor, Graham Dorrans, Charlie Adam, Danny Wilson etc are all decent players some of whom are playing in the 1st and 2nd tier of English football.

Stan Petrov came through Celtics academy and there are some youngsters coming through like Forrest, Slane, Conroy, Feruz, Misun, the Twardziks, Wylde, Fletch etc.

On a national team level you also have players who were coached or born abroad like Darren Fletcher, Barry Bannan, James Morrison, Kris Commons etc

On the money level I was mainly referring to Kayal- he will have the opportunity to earn more at Celtic than M Haifa. You are right in that there is a cash problem because of the very little TV money. But at the same time Celtic and Rangers have both very good attendances and merchandising and have appeared in the top 30 richest clubs in recent years so they aren't doing too badly.

Other than that I believe coaching has improved in Scotland and both Hibs and motherwell have played good stuff with homegrown players.

At the same time you are right, there is a tendency to play stifling defensive football against attacking teams which isn't helped by small pitches, on the flip side this is difficult to do at the bigger stadiums like Easter road, Celtic park, Ibrox.

And as I've said there seems to be a conscious effort to improve standards in Scotland so I think there are a lot of positives football wise.

I think Celtics new team looks very interesting. They are some pretty good players this year and although they certainly still need some work I think that the acquisitions will add excitement.

Now, Can anybody help with that video?

11. Tonybhoy cfc

Tonybhoy cfc New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Kayal was outstanding tonight for Celtic in Europe vs FC Utrecht, he was MOTM.

Set up the first goal with a wondeful through ball, his range of passing was excellent.

And on above points the SPL is a hard tackling league but don't confuse that with being defensive it is a fast paced attacking league, yes some of the lower teams like to lump the ball up the park and some teams are defensive like Rangers and Kilmarnock but teams like Celtic, Hibs, Motherwell, Hamilton and Dundee Utd like to play the ball on the ground and attack teams.

12. Bigthunder

Bigthunder New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Kayal played well against St Mirren, instrumental in Joe Ledleys goal and nearly scored a great goal himself. Put in some great tackles as well. Should have no problem in the SPL.