Blue cards?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by subbuteo, May 19, 2006.

1. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this has been discussed before.

Here's the article:
    http://goal.com/en-US/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=54378
    Walsh: How About Seeing Blue Rather Than Red?

I found this very interesting -- very forward thinking and I personally don't see it happening but it's a valid talking point because it takes into consideration how difficult the referee's job is. It cites the Lehmann incident and then also two situations in MLS last weekend.

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This belongs in the FIFA forum.

And it's a stupid idea anyway in my opinion.

3. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I fail to see how it's needed and the penalty box is a dumb, dumb idea for football. All it would do is kill the game during those 15 mins as the team waited for the player to return. Booo.

4. juanse_moncayo

Jul 29, 2004
    Columbus OH- Ecuador
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    its futbol, football, soccer...not hockey. Do you want to also add 5 time outs per team? Perhaps make them all wear helmets too? make goals count as two or three depending on the distance?

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Blue cards are standard in indoor soccer. They work well.

People who don't like blue cards do so on instinct. Not from experience. If you played soccer where blue cards are used, you'd quickly see the appeal.

6. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, they have this in rugby, it's called the Sin Bin

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 blue cards and then a stampede.

8. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
    No. A player represents the team because as well when given a red card, thus the whole team must sacrifice that player for his/her delinquence on the field. This rule does not belong in futbol

9. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, just from a design/color standpoint, Blue is a dumb idea.

In Fencing (yes, I'm a competitive fencer) we have yellow cards (warning), red cards (1 point against you) and BLACK CARDS (ejection from tournament, or longer).

Black Cards are infinitely cooler that Blue.

10. juanse_moncayo

Jul 29, 2004
    Columbus OH- Ecuador
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I dont understand what is the need to come and change the game? The basic rules have been estated for over a hundred years and makes the games as passionate then as it is now. I believe the way it works right now keeps the intensity of the games at the level it is right now. No need to loose that.

11. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indoor soccer is almost closer to hockey than it is to real football.

12. Mordakai

Mordakai New Member

May 12, 2006
    A "blue card" would be a terrible, terrible idea. We cannot just try to "Americanize" soccer. I put this idea right along side the silly ideas of:

1) Kick-ins instead of throw-ins
    2) The "shot against the clock" of the first few MLS seasons
    3) Time-outs

Soccer/Football is the way it should be. The ONLY change i would like to see "maybe" would be the chip inside the Adidas ball to see if a ball has fully crossed the goal line. All this other stuff is nonsense.

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blue cards worked fine in indoor, but I'm not sure I'd want to ever see them inplemented in outdoor because of the size of the field and the additional personnel on it. Add to that that outdoor refs already have enough to deal with, we don't need them debating exactly how serious a foul is (blue vs. yellow).

14. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The solution I always thought might work is to allow red carded players to be substituted if the team had substitutions available.

At least in the instance of a red via a second yellow.

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Happens all the time.

Goalkeepers spent 100 years picking up back passes with their hands. You want that back? For 60 years, when a player was injured his team played with 10, no substitutions allowed. Do you pine for those days?

At any rate, blue cards + red cards would be a fine system. Better than the current approach. A guy acts like a jackass, a referee doesn't have to sit around wondering if it's quite severe enough for a yellow, or if it's a second yellow. Just flash him a blue and send his butt to the bench. If he does it again, send him again. You don't have to worry about permanently impairing the game.

If you think about it, it's quite strange that a player is penalized for picking up a yellow card in this game by potentially missing the next match. So Michael Ballack hurts Korea's chances in the World Cup by making a hard saving tackle -- and the penalty is to help Brazil by removing Ballack from the final match? How does that possibly make sense? I'll tell you right now - it doesn't. You only think it makes sense because that's what you're used to. But it's crazy. If somebody proposed such a system and it was new to you, you'd laugh.

With blue cards, you spank Ballack here & now, so that Korea benefits. Not Brazil.

16. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like soccer. I don't like indoor soccer. In fact, the first time I saw a blue card, I was thinkin' "What the hell is a blue card for??" I think it's just silly.

Now, my daughter had a fine idea, after seeing Guevara in one of his many dives...

Her: "They should give him a pink card!"
    Me: "A pink card? Why pink?"
    Her: "'Cause he's a pu**y!"

*sniff* she makes me so proud.

17. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would impair the game tremendously. The team losing a player would merely play 10 men behind the ball till he came back on and then have to regain momentum after that. Why is their an outcry for this? There isn't a important need like with the pass back rule.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So, the team would be penalized because one of its players committed a bad foul? I sob for it.

At any rate, there is no outcry for this change. It won't happen.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Beats the youth alternative, which is a referee without the balls to use yellow cards. At least the blues get used and a semblance of order occurs. Outdoors ... once the players figure out that a bad referee won't pull out a yellow, it's target practice for the hacks.

20. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't concerned about the team but rather for fans of the game.

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I see your point. It's a reasonable one.

22. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I equated the blue card to a foul slightly more serious than one yellow so there wasn't a loss of a player. That is where I was coming from, perhaps I was mistaken on that belief.

23. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually this idea, the idea of a "penalty box" in soccer comes up fairly regularly on BBC Five Live discussions about how to fix certain problems in the game. So, I don't know about the rest of the world, but the Brits at least are thinking about it. Whether it will ever come to pass, who knows.

24. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Also it has been noted that a purple card will be issued when the referee likes the run of play and at that time team receiving said card will be able to put another player on the field and play 12v11 for 15 minutes.

25. TheOtherBastard

TheOtherBastard New Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Akron, OH
    We're on to something.

An orange card means that no one is allowed to play a backpass for 15 minutes.

Checkered card means mandatory water break for fans and players.

Horizontally striped cards means players must stay within their pre-determined 25 meter "zone" on the field and pass accordingly to advance the ball.

Vertical stripes mean the same, but that you must do 10 pushups for each incompleted pass...