Bloomberg readying for a run at White House

Discussion in 'Elections' started by capitalist, May 12, 2007.

1. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Michael Bloomberg, the billionaire businessman and mayor of New York, is building the foundations for an audacious third-party presidential candidacy that would transform the 2008 race for the White House.

The Daily Telegraph has established that a senior aide to Mr Bloomberg has held three lunch meetings with officials from the Independence Party, during which detailed discussions took place as to how a third-party bid could be launched.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/12/wbloom12.xml

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please god let this happen.

3. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes. x2

4. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell no! This aint happen. I take it back. If this guy can just uppity up and decide this without more work to his political career. He is not the man period. Hes' like Santa Clause in June. Independence Day in December and empty glass bottle out in the woods. He diffentley needs more work. I aint voteing for no dang mayor period. This is a classic chirs rock CB4 career move...

5. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is the mayor of a city that has double the population of your state. As far as I am concerned the mayorships of NYC, Chicago and LA are of equal or in some cases greater qualifiers for executive office than governorships.

6. DamonEsquire

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That might be true however I seen these cities. Its far different than others: more trash, more money, more criminals on the streets, more police offices, more oil spills, more happy people, more problems in general. He is a mayor and I will admit. His canadacy intrigues but he has to prove. He can fix problems. I aint never once heard of anything a mayor has done to sweep the nation by storm. The best solution for me. Finish being mayor and run for governor then Presidency is all that more trustworthiness. So with that in mind clean up after your self.

7. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Good idea on paper, bad idea in execution. Bloomberg appeals to smart folks and persons who appreciate the skills required to be an effective technocrat. If Guiliani is struggling right now with his appeals to social conservatives, then what hope does Bloomberg have?

That said, he's the only Republican I could even remotely imagine supporting.

8. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds to me like he won't have to pander to the base like Guiliani is though.

9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20070515-123142-3314r.htm

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he goes for it. And I hope this is the start of a serious third party. The later I don't expect, but the former I do expect.

11. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. bdevil02

bdevil02 Member

Aug 8, 2004
    DC
    Anyone catch the CBS Sunday morning show? Hagel all but announced that he was running with Bloomberg.

This will certainly change this election. (understatement of the year)

edit: didn't see the thread about it...sorry

13. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I think the best way to get out of the two party system would be for liberals and conservatives to get together and agree to form two new parties, thus giving us four in total (left, center-left, center-right, right). That's what I'd like to see, anyway.

As for Bloomberg, if Rudy is nominated then I doubt he'll run. He needs a social conservative to be nominated for the Republicans. Romney would be perfect for his run, McCain maybe. Not that he would have any chance of winning.

As a Democrat, I hope he does run because it should hurt the GOP. Plus it would be interesting.

14. DamonEsquire

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Oh My! The quickness overwhelms. If hes going at like that; there could be some mometum there. 20% personal wealth is a heafty number and well worth every penny. I wonder. Though acceptance for americans. It could very well nip the mimimum wage thing totally if you think about it. I know for smaller states. That is a sore spot and he could very well fix it. I won't even get intitally a dime out of campaign but it is a nice to see asspirations. The ancients are wise indeed...

15. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    That's one way of looking at it...on the other hand, particularly if Hillary or Edwards is the Democratic nominee, he could siphon off votes from liberals who personally dislike the Democratic candidate. The only state I really see a 3-way race hurting the GOP in is Pennsylvania. Outside of the northeast and California, no usual GOP voters are going to pick Bloomberg over a McCain or Thompson. The guy is a Republican as much as Zell Miller is a Democrat.

16. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I hope he does it. He's denying this morning that he has spoken to people involved with Ross Perot's run to get the ins-and-outs of ballot access.

And Ed Rollins has a good point...

"Money is no guarantee of success. Mike Bloomberg has done a very capable job of being mayor. Certainly he'd be a serious candidate for any office. But the challenge is winning electoral votes in enough states to win. You'd have to ask: Which Democratic states will he take away from the Democratic nominee? Which Republicans states will get taken away? That's very tough, no matter how much money he spends."

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while I like this idea, I don't think this is possible. I think it would be more likely to have regoinal parties. This is due to culture. Californians are different than Texans, who don't have the Cuban population that Florida has. New York would be different than Illinois, etc. Of course, suggestion possibly will become regional.

18. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    If people want out of the two-party system, call for a new constitutional convention, because that's the only way its changing. The current constitution creates a political structure in which broad-based, coalitional parties have an overwhelming advantage.

And while you're at it, can you include a provision for a vote of no confidence in the President in the new constitution.

19. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We already have that, it's called impeachment.

20. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which I would greatly prefer over the mess that Canada seems to go through every week

21. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I loathe the idea of a billionaire buying a seat at the general election table. If he wants to be Prez, he should seek the Democratic nomination.

22. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why, he's a Republican. The more candidates the merrier. I don't want to him to win or anything, but I'm sure he'll have some good ideas to bring to the debate.

23. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't agree. I prefer substance over process in this situation and he would be the best person for the job should he enter. It's not his fault that neither party reflects his POV

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Nationally, he fits in much better with the Democrats.

25. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then he shouldn't have run as a Republican.

What are his national positions anyway? Does anyone really know?