blitzz player question

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by stats, Jul 4, 2005.

1. stats

stats New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    i posted in the usl league board and someone recommended i come here. i am looking for info on a former blitzz player, matt evans. the guy was a phenom at the youth level but never went on to a big college. i see he took the blitzz to the open championship last year, but now it looks like the team folded. if anyone knows who matt plays for now, thanks for the updates.

2. blitzzfc

blitzzfc New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    FC Dallas reserves, I believe.

3. stats

stats New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    you're obviously the guy to talk to regarding the blitzz.... what did you think of matt's game?

4. Steve H.

Steve H. Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Didn't Dallas just sign him for that reserve game in Park City?

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I believe the term is "unofficial reservists".
    And yes I just made that up. :)

6. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right... if he's the one who played here in Park City, that's because he lives here, meaning he's not playing for anybody professional right now. (FC Dallas was down a few people due to national teams, illness, whatever, so they hired some local talent for one reserve game to boost their numbers.) He's just chillin' here in Utah now that the Blitzz are gone, doing something else. Maybe waiting for Coach E to "discover" him. :) Of course, all of us are waiting for Coach E to discover Jorge Estrade, because he was a joy to watch!

Anyway, that's my two cents. I'm not sure it's correct.

7. stats

stats New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    if matt is half the player he was as a kid, i guarantee he can hang in mls.

he was probably one of the top players in our so cal youth club league, and with company like bocanegra and vagenas and a few others who've played in the mls, that says a lot.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I am not mistaken, I believe Matt Evans (like most Blitzz members) tried out for RSL during their open try-out.
    If that is so, then Coach Ellinger already got a look at him.
    Plus lets not forget that Blitzz's former head coach is now an Assistant Coach with RSL. If Chris Agnello thought Evans was any good, wouldn't he tell his boss, Ellinger?

9. neophyte

neophyte Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    I was talking to Glen Puckrin's wife yesterday about the old Blitzz players. She said that most of them weren't invited to try out at all, despite (or maybe because of) Chris Agnello's presence on the coaching staff. Interesting.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I can't find the list that was invited to try-out, but I do know that in order to be invited, someone had to nominate/recommend.

So I can only conclude from this that Agnello thought most of his Blitzz players couldn't make it.

11. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    Matt Evans was probably the most skillful player in D3. His freekicks were incredible- up there with Beckham and Carlos maybe.

Before playing for the Blitzz he played for the Orange Co. Wave, a PDL team, and killed us. That's when Agnello stole/signed him away from them.

We all thought he should be able to hang in MLS.

12. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    The coolest Matt Evans free kick I ever saw! He was about 35 yards out, shot it, it hit the crossbar, bounced off the back of the leaping keepers hands, and into the goal. His dribbling skills made the opposing players look stupid.

13. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    Maybe it was the Blue Star not the Wave. Sorry Socals.

The freekick I remember most was when the wall set up too far to the right and left a little daylight open at the near post. Matt sent a laser past them at the near post that the keeper never saw coming. He was celebrating before the ball hit the net! The wall knew they made a mistake but never expected anyone to be able to punish them like Matt did that day.

14. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    I think Matt played for So Cal Seahorses. Definately not the Blue Darts.