Blatter Wants Team Foreigner Limits

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Jabinho, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, you'll also find that lots of Argentines and Brazilians turn
    out to be "Italian." Back in the 90s, the furbi in Italy came up
    with all sorts of skullduggery to subvert limits on foreign players.

2. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    give me 20 examples. ill be nice and call 20 lots.

3. roma/totti

roma/totti Red Card

Dec 14, 2005
    well i for one am sick of seeing south american players at inter milan, and all these forgeiners in that club who dont give a rats ass about a serie a title anyway, im sick of seeing this i italy, and i know the brits are sick of themselves,

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sepp means including European teams. For example, Liverpool has 4 or 5 Spanish players, plus other non-English Eurpean players.

5. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No doubt you remember when Veron was accused of
    playing under a false passport in Serie A: a scandal broke
    out in Italy, with dozens of other players, mostly South
    Americans, accused of using false passports. Capello even
    suggested Lazio's 1999-2000 scudetto was a con.

My point is only this. If tomorrow a rule were to be put in
    place in Italy declaring that only 3 non-Italians could play
    for any one Serie A team, clubs would find clever ways
    around the limit, as they have in the past. Foreigners may
    be naturalized, or Italian heritages invented.

That's not to say that native Italians do not make up a
    pretty large number of players in Serie A. They do, and
    more often than not they are fine players, but for rich
    clubs buying the best players, wherever they are, is going
    to be a quicker solution than youth development.

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Blatter was talking about EU players as well. If he is proposing 5 non-EU foreigners per team, he is actually increasing the number of non-EU players per team. At the bottom of the article, he talked about the law on EU lawas regarding member state.

He won't be able to limit the number of EU players not from the home country on a team. He can force a gentleman's agreement with the clubs, but a EU player not from the big money leagues could file a lawsuit against the agreement and I am sure who is going to win.

7. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

What Blatter said didn't concern non-EU players, but also EU foreigners. I think he's right on spot with what he said. However, the national FA's will never change that, as it would mean, that they would weaken their national sides. If FIFA or UEFA won't step in, nothing will change.

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The EU have already stated that they are prepared to come to an agreement that allows trade restrictions to be created and football to be considered a special case, therefore exempt from current laws. It can only be a good thing. You know that something is wrong when certain teams just load their squads with foreigners and others spend big money in signing the best domestic talent, only to leave them rotting in the stands (read Sean Wright-Phillips).

9. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    like i said, i want examples. and i dont mean Camoranesi. 20 names.

10. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    hes gonna sue clubs for not signing him? yeah, and soon ugly fat chicks are gonna sue the model industry. people who cant act are gonna sue f f coppola. get the fvck out.

11. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you want names, look back at the Veron case I mentioned
    above. Do you deny that that scandal happened--that in Italy
    passports were faked to subvert the old rule limiting foreigners?

I can't say what would happen if the rule were put into effect
    tomorrow, but I can guess that players like Ledesma and Bertotto
    and Burdisso would claim Italian heritage . . . . The furbi always
    find a way.

12. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    okay so veron and who else?
    well you need look no further then portugal, where all brazilians are considered portugese. wonder if theyd have a advantage in this? i think uefa would have to have some kind of committee to decide cases where theres some doubt. you cant just dig up relatives to anyone cause if you go back far enough the whole american continent is probably related to someone in europe ;)

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
  14. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    okay to me thats not finding a way around the rules of the game. falsifying a passport is a serious crime.

anyway, i dont think these second nationalities should count anyway. i think they should still be considered non-europeans and not domestic for any league.

15. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

No, he is goung to sue against the gentleman agreement which is discrimination under the eyes of the law. An agreement that involved so many clubs and money would have plenty of evidence to back up the case. A Russian player did sometging simliar against La Liga a few years ago. i forgot the details, but it has to do with discrimination, etc.

16. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A serious crime? So serious that no one in Italy was punished for
    doing it. In fact, the scandal had the odd effect of eliminating the
    restrictions on foreigners that had been in place beforehand.

17. This is the stupidest idea and discussion I have heard. Look up jingoistic in the dictionary. That is what this sounds like. So, I want to work for a company owned by a corporation in another country and you are going to stop me because I'm from another country? Let capitalism play out. If a club in France wants to pay some poor slob in Senegal to play on it, and is willing to pay him a lot of money, you think FIFA should say, no, stay in Senegal and make $10 a match and stay poor? Players should be free to play for whomever they want. In America, the NBA, NHL, and Major League Baseball have tons of foreign nationals playing at very high salaries and no one complains. Yao Ming, Detleff Schrempf, etc., etc. can earn many millions more here than they can in their home countries. This is even more of a case in soccer. Fans should be color and nationality blind. Put the best eleven players on the field and let the economics and results dictate what happens. Clubs that overpay and underproduce will eventually be brought back to the pack. Chelsea can't continue to overpay forever. In my ideal world, one which Blatter would hate, there would be 2-4 top teams in each of the major countries, places where they can pay the highest salaries, and these teams would play in a Super Champions League. Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, AC Milan, Juve, Real Madrid, Barca, and, eventually, NY, Chicago, LA, Mexico City, Boca, River, a couple of Brazilian teams, etc. would form a new league that would have the very best players, and they could come from anywhere.

18. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    for lack of evidence im sure. you get jail time for this stuff. mandatory even. i dont think document fraud is a way of getting around a law. thats the same as saying a club will get funds through robbing banks.

19. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    whats discriminatory about wanting your national league to be made up of players from your own nation? unless a team in the league did something about it, i dont think anyone else could. and even then, teams could just 'choose' to field only five foreigners. i dont see anyone suing atletic bilbao cause they only sign local players.

20. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Falsifying passports is not the real problem.

The vast majority of South Americans who are playing with European passports got them perfectly legally.

That’s an issue outside of football; each nation has to decide for it self who they want to give citizenships to.

21. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia

And teams would certainly do something about it.

They’re not going to restrict themselves to a certain number of EU foreigners. Clubs want success and if you can sign the same quality for less money, they’re going to do it.

22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    of course, you are right that no one can stop , but I am saying if Blatter want to set up a rule limiting the employement of non-domestci EU player on EU league. THat is illegal under EU law. If an architecture firm chooses to hire only domestic workers for their firm, no one can do much. If the architect union of EU set up a rule not to hire non-domestic but EU workers in EU countries, anyone can file a lawsuit against the architect union.

23. spursman

spursman Red Card

Nov 29, 2005
    herts, england
    im all for it. wouldnt really effect spurs :D

24. Edgar

Edgar Member

US - no relegation, salary cap and so on. Don't compare football in Europe to sports in the USA. Different systems.

25. Edgar

Edgar Member

From Yahoo! World Soccer

Home-grown talent still good for the people's game

by Simon Baskett

After a dreadful start to the season, Athletic Bilbao are in serious danger of being relegated for the first time since the Spanish League began in 1928.

Bilbao, famously, only recruit players from the Basque country and some observers are now saying the policy is to blame for their present predicament.

They argue that a club that relies exclusively on players from a small region in the northern part of Spain can no longer compete with clubs that trawl the globe for talent.

In an era of relentless globalisation, reliance on such a limited pool of players is seen as a suicidal anachronism. Others claim Athletic's reputation as one of the biggest clubs in Spain rests on past successes achieved when the restrictions on foreign players prevented free competition.

In an age when winning counts for so much it might be thought that Athletic would bow to the pressure and ditch tradition in exchange for bringing some much-needed success to the club.

Nothing could be further from the truth, however.

Close to 80 percent of fans say they would prefer the ignominy of relegation to the dropping of the club's recruitment policy.

For Bilbao supporters the importance of maintaining their links with the local region clearly outweighs their desire for silverware.

Commentators point out that Athletic are an exception only because of the very special circumstances that prevail in the Basque region.

The club's historic status as a symbol of Basque nationalism, the institutional support it enjoys and its stable fan base mean that it can afford the luxury of following a policy that would be unthinkable for many other teams.

BOSMAN RULE

Despite its present difficulties though, Bilbao's policy has struck a chord with other clubs, fans and even the game's top administrators.

Part of the reason is because of the impact the Bosman Ruling has had in the past decade.

The ground-breaking judgement exposed soccer to unrestrained free trade in players with almost every club taking the opportunity to fill their squads with talented, and on some occasions, not so talented, foreign players.

The ruling was meant to end the restrictions on the free movement of players within the European Union, but it also opened the door to players from all over the world as many found ways of gaining European citizenship.

While the move has undoubtedly broadened the horizons of clubs and fans, it continues to have negative effects.

Fans frequently complain that many players are simply mercenaries who lack any loyalty to their club's colours and are only concerned about selling their skills to the highest bidder.

Many clubs have got their fingers burned trying to keep pace with the inflationary spiral of the transfer market.

The game has become increasingly dominated by rich and powerful oligarchies with the resources to recruit the top players and exploit lucrative marketing opportunities, leaving the rest to scrap for survival.

However, there is an increasing recognition that soccer must rein in the worst excesses of the free market and rekindle some of the passion that helped make it the world's most popular sport.

HOME-GROWN

FIFA president Sepp Blatter believes one solution is for clubs to field at least six home-grown players, while UEFA are moving in the same direction.

From next season, clubs in European competition will have to include at least two players they have trained themselves and two more developed in the same national association.

Many clubs are also coming to recognise that nurturing local talent may be their only route to survival.

Not only is it cheaper to develop your own players, but the rise of home-grown talent also increases fan loyalty, commitment and boosts team morale.

Real Madrid's Raul, Liverpool's Steven Gerrard, Roma's Francesco Totti and Barcelona's Carles Puyol all enjoy a special status amongst supporters because they came through the youth ranks, while their presence allows young fans to cling to the dream that they too may make it one day.

Even the mighty Real Madrid recognise that an over-reliance on foreign Galacticos has had a detrimental effect on team morale.

Real's new director of football Benito Floro said recently that the club has lost its identity and needed an injection of players from the cantera (youth sides) to help foster better team spirit.

It is, of course, unlikely that any future winners of the Champions League will be able to emulate Celtic's achievement of nearly 40 years ago when they won the European Cup with a squad comprised entirely of players born within 30 miles of Glasgow.

But a re-emergence of local identity can only be good for a sport that still claims to be the people's game.

And if Bilbao do survive the drop, many fans, with no particular allegiance either the Basque country or the club itself, will, though, probably be very pleased on their behalf.