Blatter suggests WC 2014 could be a joint Argentina-Chile effort

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by argentine soccer fan, Apr 14, 2006.

1. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    seriously man we just had one of the worst economical crisis only a few years ago and now in a matter of a decade we want to host a WC?? I dunno serious changes in our economy and indeed in the Argentine way have to be adressed first,,,, or heed my warning that FIFA will have all to gain and we will once again be ripped off and thusly feel hard done by and start another few decades of self induced isolationism.:(

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If done right the World Cup can be a catalist to help the economy. Of course, I understand that is a big 'if', and your concerns are valid. But there is plenty of time to plan it right, and I would think that given the responsibility, there are people available, both in government and in the private sector, who could be tapped to plan it properly. I know many of us left the country because we got fed up with our leadership, but l don't want to give up completely as far as the country's ability to do something right. If there's one think that could motivate Argentina it just may be a World Cup.

3. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    where would the money come from to update all the stadiums? believe me, i've visited all of buenos aires' major football stadiums, and they are simply not up to scratch by modern standards, not by a long chalk.

4. sohka88

sohka88 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    The argentine economy is coming along nicely at the moment, but there is no way in my opinion they should try to upgrade the stadia.... they will get into a financial funk for years to come.....

The stadiums are shlt though.....

5. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The stadiums are fine, Argentina could host the WC alone without any investment in the stadia. The Monumental is in fine shape, the Nuevo Gasometro is big enough, the Bombonera was renovated in the last decade, Racing's stadium is still good, etc.
    And we could do the whole tournament in the Rosario-Buenos Aires axis, 300km at most

6. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't mean to sound harsh here, but obviously some are either in denial or have not travelled and seen otherwise or just don't want to face reality.... a plight that got Argentina to where it is mostly. And as far as my family leaving Argentina is concerned has only some to do with economy and more to do with my father dissappearing for a week only to come back pale, frightened and looking for a better place to raise his children, ..... thank God many Argentines did not have to live or see that part of our history:( .