Blatter suggests WC 2014 could be a joint Argentina-Chile effort

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by argentine soccer fan, Apr 14, 2006.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    http://www.futbolargentino.com.ar/06/04/14-0014.html

Is Blatter being serious? It would be awesome to get the world cup to come to Argentina again in our lifetime, but I don't trust this guy. And to do it jointly with Chile of all countries? I could see it with Uruguay, maybe.

Blatter is probably just trying to score some political points. I don't trust him at all.

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    that cloud be a great idea!

with the cost of futbol facilities today and the need for hotel infrastructure, only combined effort can pull it through.

3. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blatter says alot of things... HALF or almost ALL of them are just hot air... Like the Chip in the ball, instant replay, All leagues must have 18 teams by 2004, no owner can own more than 1 team, USA gets wc in 2010....... Yeah alot of things....

4. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i agree with asf one that it lookjs extremly fishy. but even if this would happen i would prefer it to be with uruguay. it would be a good idea but looks extremly wierd. and he went on to say that if not brazil and this plan for chile-arggentina didnt work then it would go to north america. pitty.:mad:

5. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I couldn't ever imagine ; El Salvador-Guatemala 2014 or Honduras-Costa Rica 2014!!!??? ??

6. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    can someone explain to me why uruguay would be preferable to chile? is this a practical preferance or an emotional one? as someone who lives in england, i am unaware of the issues at play here.

i don't understand why they wouldn't give it to brazil. have they ever hosted a world cup? if they have, it must have been a long time ago. it is a huge country, a football country. is it a financial consideration that would stop fifa awarding it to them? or do they have other concerns?

7. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No... has anyone been to any of our stadia in the last few years, they are not even close to being world class. Heck we even lost formula one years back because of the lack of funds to keep a good safe track, how the heck are we going to bid for a WC ???:rolleyes:

8. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i think he said in the artical if they cant financial hosted, like in a proffesional manner, but i havent checked and i skimmed therough that part as far as teh chile thing i personally dislike them. not the people but the country i mean not just what they;ve done to us but to all their neighbors.:mad:

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For me it is emotional. I consider Chileans my South American brothers, just like Uruguayans, but there are reasons why I feel closer to Uruguay and would rather work with them than with Chile on putting together a World Cup.

Uruguay may be our rival, but the football of both sides of the Rio de la Plata has always been very connected, and we have had very close ties. Since the beggining of the 20th century, Argentina and Uruguay have represented a similar football. Many Uruguayans played in the Argentine league, and viceversa. Aside from football, culturally Argentina and Uruguay are very close.

Chile, on the other side of the Andes, doesn't seem as close, culturally, or in football matters. There have of course been some players going to Chile and Chileans coming to Argentina, but not nearly as much. And of course Argentina has had political differences with Chile over the years. There's the dispute over the Beagle Channel, Chile giving support to Britain over the Malvinas issue, and Argentina supporting Peru and Bolivia on issues they had with Chile.

I'm not saying politics should be the main issue. Of course, Korea and Japan were able to work together (although they were given no choice) and they historically hate each other but it came out fine. But if you ask my preference, there's reasons why I'd rather see Argentina working with Uruguay over Chile.

10. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    thanks for your answer.

11. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This would truly be a travesty. You lot got the WC in 78' whereas we last had it in 1950. Further, Conmebol has unanimously endorsed our bid. Blatter is a master of ill-conceived nonsense, however, so this doesn't surprise me one bit.

12. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    bRASIL HAS MANY YEARS TO PREPARE FOR THIS AND knowing their nationalistic pride I'm sure brasil wll be more than able to be up for the task....

This blatter has to go i mean what does he want for brasil to start construction or reconstructions of stadiums right now??????

come on blatter whats next a j league team in the fifa world club cup..

oh yeah you did that already just further proof of what a BAD PRESIDENT YOU HAVE BEEN

13. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    yeah with Varig airlines screaming bankruptcy Brazil is more than ready to host it:rolleyes: . Fact is none of the South American countries are ready right now, South Africa is a cruel joke as was the joint effort of Korea and Japan......

14. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What does the financial status of private company have to do with whether Brasil can host it or not?

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I think we can manage the stadiums. Boca needs a new stadium anyway, (as much as I love La Bombonera), and a World Cup could be the catalyst to make it happen. Certainly El Monumental could be fixed up to standards, and a few others as well. How many stadiums do you need, if you're co-hosting?

But I expect 2014 is going to be Brazil, and they should be able to pull it off. the Brazilians really want to see it happen, and they got CONMEBOL support, plus they will get help from the corporate sponsors who all love Brazil so much. Otherwise it will probably come to North America. Blatter is full of shit.

As far as your other comments, what exactly do you think went wrong with the last World Cup? I thought Korea and Japan did an excellent job, the organization was fine, and the stadiums were awesome, I can only hope that whoever ends up doing it in South America can do it as well.

As far as South Africa, I'm not too familiar with any problems they may be having, but they did host the Rugby world cup without complications not too long ago. Obviously that was in a much smaller scale than the FIFA world cup will be, but the fact that they managed it should count for something.

I hope they can pull it off, we only get so many world cups in our lifetime so I want them to be done right. Besides, Argentina should have one hell of a team in 2010, and I want to hopefully be there to watch them win it.

16. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well lets see whom should I answer first...... Varig airlines is just one of many examples of mismanagement and corruption that not only is a cancer in Brazil but throughout Latin America,,, sure a WC could be probable and hosted in these nations but to what affect?? Do you all think it would actually be of any benefit to the country??? Please if so then you really need to open your eyes. As far as the 2002 WC was concerned albeit being relatively succesfull I see no need except for FIFA to try to flex its muscle by proving some empty point that it can expand to such nations, while the rest of us wake up in the wee morning hours to watch a game in countries that really have little to no flare and or inkling as to th real signifigance of what a world cup really is . South Africa has yet to answer its gross indecences as far as human rights are concerened, its economy, lack of stadia, political turmoil, rampant mismanagement of the aids issue and crime... sounds like a great place to host a month long tourney of the worlds biggest sporting event. I don't mean to be a stick in the mud here, but we must be realisitc and look at all the points first... something that I can asure you is grossly lacking by FIFA and in South America in general... hence I now live in Canada, ( and even here I have to fight my battles against the liberal mess that is overtaking the so called intellectual right.);)

17. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If there was to be a WC in Africa, it should be in the north, most likely Egypt, which proved this very year they are more than capable of holding the tournament.

18. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Egypt has proven to be capable of hosting, and I think they will get it next time it goes to Africa, however there is no "if there was to be a WC in Africa"... there already will be. South Africa has 2010 and I don't see them "losing" it.

I think FIFA needs to re-evalute their terms to host the World Cup. Make the requirements slightly lower, less stadiums and less capacity. There is no need to parade teams all over the country like they are doing in Germany. Have a few big stadiums and play all the matches there. There are only a handful of matches each day in the group stage... I think 2-4 per day... and then once you get to the knockout round there are even less conflicts to worry about. Why can't Groups A and B play all of their games in Stadium X while all the Group C and D games are played in Stadium Y and Group E and F are in Stadium Z, etc? There is no need to have (however many stadiums they require). You really only need 4-5.

I really hope the World Cup does not overwhelm itself with unnecessary requirements, like it seems to be doing, where in the future even less countries will be considered suitable hosts. All you realistically need is a couple of good stadiums and you should be able to run the event fine. Egypt and Portugal don't have that many major stadiums, but they each ran their continental cup just fine. The World Cup is bigger, I understand, but still... if these countries can host a 16 team tournament, it's not that much of a stretch to host a 32 team tournament.

Sorry for the rant, but I just don't want to see the World Cup end up like the Gold Cup, where the same country/countries host it every single time. Because that's where it looks like it's going. Less than 30 years ago Argentina was not only deemed capable of hosting the event, but they actually did host the World Cup. Now everyone is saying there is no way Argentina can host. Well, I don't think *that much* has changed in Argentina, so that means the requirements to host have gotten a lot stiffer... maybe too stiff if you ask me.

19. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Argentina right now has a better economic situation, and it has more major stadiums, all of which are concentrated in a city connected by a pre-existing mass transit system (which is top class), has many fine hotels, and there would be no need at all to leave Buenos Aires, unless we count Avellaneda as another city. Considering it has at least the three 40k+ capacity stadiums, its eligible, and Brazil, as far as I recall, doesn´t have that many, not to mention the large distance needed to travel from stadium to another, as even Sao Paulo-Rio is more travelling than should be done.

20. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    the only problem with your theory megamac is that, with 32 countries in the wc now, and that number likely to get bigger rather than smaller, you need to seperate fans from one another. each country brings its own national team and backroom staff, media pack, and set of fans, who all need accomodating and so on. this has to be accomodated in many separate cities. otherwise there will be violence and over-congestion. plus stadiums can't hold so many games every day, otherwise the grass will cut up, something that is unacceptable in a wc. things have to be spread out. that's why small countires always launch a joint-bid if you notice.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe Argentina and Brazil should do it together. I wouldn't mind, but the only problem would be agreeing where to have the final.

22. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Buenos Aires urban area is 90 km from Tigre to La Plata, and Rosario has some top notch stadiums, closer than some of the German stadiums to Buenos Aires than they are to each other.

That´s all you really need, those 2 cities.

23. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    megamac having been in Buenos Aires in February and having taken the tour of the Bombanera and its "guts" it in no way even comes close to being a stadium fit of hosting a WC match.... the large dog that was a stray in the bathroom would be a prime example to that fact. Look I love my country of birth, but I have travelled a lot and have seen what world class stadia are and the Monumental does not even come close:( . The transit system is fair if a bit confusing, hotels I give you are fine to excellent as are the restaurants, shopping etc, but the stadia need major work. In 1978 when we last hosted it so much money as sunk in to the project from the military regime that the country was economically crippled ... I hate to see this happen while FIFA reaps all the rewards and all the mafia and politicos along with them... . As far as only needing 4-5 stadia to host 32 nations that is just not plausible,,,, trust me I work at a golf course and know the science involved in turf care, a stadia could possibly host 2 matches a week if not 3 for a 5 week period and then a major overhaul to the grass is needed. There are many more points I could get into here.

24. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    :D :D :D

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Would you guys be open to the the idea of Argentina doing a joint cup with Brazil?

It is going to be in Brazil anyway, and an offer to share it might be a reasonable way for both countries to put together a better tournament, and easier from a financial standpoint. Put together, the two countries will find it less challenging to come up with all the necesary stadiums. (I can see a new stadium for Boca.)

The problem is, Brazil would probably get the final.